Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I will need to see massed reports of dying overclocked Pre's or see a message from Palm with testing data explaining that the increased speeds are dangerous before I remove the kernel patch.
    Yes, I removed the 800. And went down to 720. Got the heat warning at 800 while watching Youtube for 3 hours, never got it at 720, yet. But I haven't watched Youtube for that long since, either.
    Last edited by bigkoont; 03/30/2010 at 10:46 AM.
    Using the CPUScalerUber+800 to scale it. No complaints, except maybe battery life is a tad worse but not sure since I'm using it more too. One thing about the CPU Scaler - gotta remember to turn it on each time u boot.
    I removed the 720 patch, but not because of Palm's statement. I just got annoyed by the fact that to have a 'useable' Pre, I had to deal with the risks of overheating and worse battery life, and the phone was always dying in the middle of the night for no reason on a full charge.

I don't notice that much of a difference without it anyways, but that's just me I guess.
    August 2009 - January 2011. Thank god I'm no longer a Pre user!

I decided to run stock, after months of playing with patches, themes, etc. It just felt easier and I honestly have a more enjoyable experience without having to constantly obsess about patches and conflicts. That being said, I did install the 800 patch to give it a shot and it was much faster, but I decided that the cost in battery drain wasn't worth it.

The statement has no effect on my decision, however.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Where are you all getting the temp monitor? Is it the patch I'm seeing in Preware or is it an app?

I'm running at 800 and already have the patch installed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    I decided to run stock, after months of playing with patches, themes, etc. It just felt easier and I honestly have a more enjoyable experience without having to constantly obsess about patches and conflicts.
    I too have went partially stock. No more themes for me. I'm using patches, but no theme after using the Carbon Blue theme for months.
    Palm Pre | WebOS 1.4.1.1 | Sprint
    My CarDomain - 5/30/09
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    I installed Jason's heat warning patch and got a warning message so I uninstalled it. I just reinstalled it this morning. We'll see how it goes....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    I decided to run stock, after months of playing with patches, themes, etc. It just felt easier and I honestly have a more enjoyable experience without having to constantly obsess about patches and conflicts. That being said, I did install the 800 patch to give it a shot and it was much faster, but I decided that the cost in battery drain wasn't worth it.

The statement has no effect on my decision, however.
    I put a new exhaust, a carbon fiber hood, and some 17's on mine!
    If any took the patch off after Palm's warning it means they ignored the SAME warning posted in the Kernel thread before they installed it. haha
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    The patch does speed up things quite a bit but I think I am going to remove it. My phone hovers around 35 to 42-43 when being used and when it hits 40 I start to get worried. I also notice some quirkyness here and there that was not there before. Anything that causes me to put safeguards usually causes me to nervously keep checking the temperature. Mayber the next palm update which should be coming any week now will address some more speed issues.

My battery life has taken a dramatic hit since putting the patch on. My phone is dying in the middle of the day and with 1.4 I could make it though the whole day. I am happy to see that the developers are coming out with kernels to push the pre to the limit but this could be a little risky and all it takes is a couple of people with phones melting internally and I think people will start removing it. Time will tell. I am not taking any credit away from the developers by saying this.
    I must be one of the lucky ones, because with the 800 patch installed, in idle mode, I get less than 1% battery loss per hour and a temp range of 24-28 degrees Celsius. With heavy use (Long Phone Calls, Internet on WiFi, Youtube, Sprint TV, or playing on Preware, etc...) or sitting on the touchstone, I never see a temp higher than 36-38 degrees Celsius. The phone is far more responsive than without the patch and I have yet to have an unforced restart or WebOS crash.
    Always remember to do a phone Reboot every few days (like most computers and electronic devices) and you should be left with a smooth running phone, even without the patch installed. Most of the errors that people report on this forum are user generated. i.e. Someone installed patches and didn't remove them properly and left behind ghosts or remnants of patches and then installed an updated OS version. Or tried to do something without completely understanding what they are doing. The true hardware errors of the Pre are a small percentage in total, I'd have to guess less than 5%.
    Just remember that none of this stuff is foolproof, cause if it was, their would be no need for this forum! That can be said for all electronic devices, Iphone, HTC Evo, GPS, Netbooks, Laptops, etc...
    One should only do what they are comfortable with, and with that said, HAPPY HACKING!
    You know Apple makes a disclaimer about running with an iPod, I think it voids the warranty due to the shock. And jailbreaking an iPhone also voids the warranty.

If Preware voided the warranty, would the same people who reversed their stance on the CPU patch feel the same way about those kind of warranties?
    I, too, am still using it - but seriously considering taking it off again. Not so much because of Palm's statement (of the obvious), but because of the temperature. My Pre runs pretty coolly when idle (~28) but will trigger J-Ro's temperature warning soon after being put on the stone. I can't charge it for a full night without being woken up at some point, and that sucks. <edit> Oh, and I get 1.6% battery pull in idle, which is just about what I've experienced in the past.

I'm thinking of maybe giving 720 a try. To anybody who may have used both -- is 720 any cooler at 800? And is everything still so smooth?

Jesus, if Palm releases a new device with a better processor this summer (OMAP4430? Oh God please! Though a 3360 would be A-OK in my book), I'm going to do everything in my power to unload my Pre to my girlfriend (who currently wants to get the Pixi Plus once it arrives in Germany). webOS is terriffic even at stock Pre speeds, but the 800 patch just makes it that much smoother - I'd say that the current stock speed UI is in some sort of uncanney valley, and that the added smoothness makes it more enjoyable by a much higher degree than the actual speed improvement would make you believe.
    Not me. 250-720 scaling. Love it.
    My only problem thus far has been the heat. I'm one of those users who uses it for literally everything. I have the touchstone mounted on my dash. Its my GPS, music streaming through bluetooth to my stereo, streaming pandora while charging in the truck, etc...

I kept hitting the 50 deg mark while doing all these things and charging it too. Felt I had to be safe and uninstall it(800MHz patch). I've been thinking about installing the 720MHz patch and seeing if it runs cool enough to maintain my Pre lifestyle.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    +1 to the comments on the type of folks who would install it in the first place. For me, the patch has caused no problems, overheat, or discernible excess battery drain. It just makes my already beautiful Pre (although on my 5th! another story...) run like a dream. If it fries, so be it, I'll just pay insurance for a 'lost' phone if necessary. But right now I have no indication, with battery monitor or patches, that I'm really doing any damage - at least any damage that wouldn't occur until I'm eligible for a 'free' upgrade on launch day (6/6). Just pure win for me so far.

Palm made the statement the cover their ***, which is good business practice and that's fine.

I'll stick w/my 800 patch and 'suffer' the potential consequences (of which I have no indication of at all so far). Loves it. All hail the homebrew etc. community!
    Not I!

I cant tell you how much better the 500 to 800mhz increase helps. I told my GF about it and she was skeptical. I took both of our pre's in hand and I launched Pandora. Needless to say, she now has an 800mhz pre.

Amazing!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12