1.    #1  
    I know for a fact that certain CPU's are underclocked at the factory. What are the chances that the Pre CPU is as well. The reason I ask is the stability with the 800 mhz patch on my right after launch date pre is INCREDIBLE. I have even tried to make it hot by running downloads and games and even videos all at the same time, and it still works like a champ...what gives?
    Yes, there's some talk I've read how this may have been a batch low-labeled from TI because it may not have passed their 800mhz tests so they labeled 600mhz and Palm downtuned to 500mhz, dunno though...
    I think i heard that it was slightly under-clocked. I think the processor is rated for 600mhz but palm only wanted to do it at 500mhz, unless if you are playing games then it is at the full 600mhz. But not to sure sorry
    Last edited by Menace187; 03/29/2010 at 03:21 PM.
    I'm pretty sure that its underclocked to 500mhz from 600. It has the same CPU that the droid has which runs at 600.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Every single CPU, whether in computer, phone,etc. is underclocked. No company ships out their CPUs running at full capacity. U will be hard pressed to find a company that agrees with "overclocking" their CPUs.
    Yes it is normally underclocked at 500Mhz. 3D games will boost the speed to 600Mhz while active, which is an acceptable limit to Palm's standards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    Yes it is normally underclocked at 500Mhz. 3D games will boost the speed to 600Mhz while active, which is an acceptable limit to Palm's standards.
    He is correct!
  8.    #8  
    but what do you think the "max" operating mhz is.....
    Quote Originally Posted by powerbyte View Post
    The Droid patches go as far as 1.3Ghz, but it's not really an acceptable/stable speed.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    There was story that there were some issues with the initial batch of chips that Palm received from TI so Palm chose to underclock.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    I know for a fact that certain CPU's are underclocked at the factory. What are the chances that the Pre CPU is as well. The reason I ask is the stability with the 800 mhz patch on my right after launch date pre is INCREDIBLE. I have even tried to make it hot by running downloads and games and even videos all at the same time, and it still works like a champ...what gives?
    I got mine to 50 degrees, and it hurt to touch! Try using Sprint GPS while having it plugged into a car charger. Also be prepared to mount the phone onto of your air conditioning like i did.
    Quote Originally Posted by BronTron View Post
    I'm pretty sure that its underclocked to 500mhz from 600. It has the same CPU that the droid has which runs at 600.
    nope droid is underclocked to 550
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    According to the spec sheet from the manufacturer it is only guaranteed to operate correctly at a max of 600MHz. When manufacturing chips you get a varying level of quality even across the same batch of chips (on 1 wafer). Also with most circuits, if you stress it to X point early in its life you have a fair indicator of the quality/capabilities of the chip. This stress test is done in the factory and usually weeds out any that do not match the spec before they even leave the factory floor. TI found a balance between quality, speed, and production rate and based the spec on that balance. Could TI be selling 900MHz chips only at a 600MHz speed. Sure, but they (probably) lowered part of the spec to allow a higher number of parts to pass quality testing. Whatever the reason, TI set the spec to what they think is a safe quality product.

What Palm or HTC do is based on their own finding when the chip is integrated with the rest of the circuit (phone parts). Maybe they lowered the clock rate to match the refresh rate of some circuit they were attaching (something that can actually improve performance of a device). Maybe they measured the heat and battery life of their first batch and found the speed drop would increase the life to an acceptable amount. Whatever the reason, it was Palms decision to go below TI's spec in an attempt to improve something.

Personally, I am blown away by the results of the 720/800 MHz patch. I know AMD/Intel seriously "gimp" their chips to ensure quality but I would have thought mobile units that rotate in and out of hands in a faster cycle than desktop CPUs would be running closer to the edge.
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
    Same reason you can buy Intel chips with the same core at varying speeds. Some can run at 2.66ghz stable, some can run at 2.93, some can run at 3.06, and so on. All the same core, no difference at all in the chips, its simply that some batches didn't pass the test. Also the same reason AMD has triple core chips, really a quad core with the one bad core that either couldn't run at the same speed as the other three, or didn't power up at all. Far better to use the underperforming chips and make some of your cost back, then to throw all that silicon away and keep trying for the impossible.

Sometimes you can get them to run faster, some AMD procs can safely unlock that disabled core, but not as often as the internet would have you believe.

Even if the processor or phone doesn't get much hotter, you're still pushing more voltage through it than it was specified to handle. That will shorten the lifespan, regardless of how hot it get.
    Quote Originally Posted by eli783 View Post
    Every single CPU, whether in computer, phone,etc. is underclocked. No company ships out their CPUs running at full capacity. U will be hard pressed to find a company that agrees with "overclocking" their CPUs.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChilinMichael View Post
    Yes, there's some talk I've read how this may have been a batch low-labeled from TI because it may not have passed their 800mhz tests so they labeled 600mhz and Palm downtuned to 500mhz, dunno though...
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    There was story that there were some issues with the initial batch of chips that Palm received from TI so Palm chose to underclock.
    what they said !!!!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Honis View Post

Personally, I am blown away by the results of the 720/800 MHz patch.
    It makes you wonder about an alternate reality where Palm released the Pre Plus on Sprint and Verizon simultaneously at 720mHz, skipper the Pixi entirely (bringing it out as a third device later on), and adopted a microsoftish xbox 360 strategy of 'get it out, make it screeching fast, and replace it ASAP' coupled with their Palm Profile.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stihl View Post
    It makes you wonder about an alternate reality where Palm released the Pre Plus on Sprint and Verizon simultaneously at 720mHz, skipper the Pixi entirely (bringing it out as a third device later on), and adopted a microsoftish xbox 360 strategy of 'get it out, make it screeching fast, and replace it ASAP' coupled with their Palm Profile.
    soooo.... have you had any fantasies lately ?? lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη