Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    As an early adopter, I'm ok with having the original pre for 2 years. However, I want to recommend the phone to my brother (and other friends on sprint) without qualification, and I feel I can't do that when I know how much better the pre plus is. The difference in RAM hugely improves the phone.

For the sake of argument: assume webOS takes 200 mb of RAM doing nothing. That leaves 56 mb of RAM for the pre and 312 mb of RAM for the pre plus for applications. This normally doesn't affect my usage; now that I bought and have been playing The Settlers, I notice the missing 256 mb a lot more often. The game is so resource heavy that I normally have to restart luna in order to even open the app with a "too many cards" error. The app catalog's reviews for the game are filled with "won't open" and "doesn't start" complaints.

Does anyone know what the deal is with sprint still having the pre? Is it a stock issue where there are unsold pre's they need to get rid of? Is it an exclusivity deal with VZW on palm's part? Does anyone know if/when sprint will get the pre plus?
    Palm Pre addict since 06.06.09.
    I hope sprint doesn't get the plus and get a pre2
    well my understanding is to date the sprint pre sold a decent amount (over 2million) they are also supposed to be bringing out the new WEB OS phone to sprint this late summer early fall (which is in no doubt to me now that they have the available funds with the HP aquistion). Regarding the too many card errors I recommend people to not only install the 800mhz kernal, but also scale the cpu from 500-800. The reason we get that error more on the sprint besides the ram count is that the cpu scales stock from 250-500 and once you try to open up a new slave requested app like a game, if you dont have the available ram to scale the cpu up to 600 you get that error. I have been using the 800mhz and scaleing propertys as stated above for two months now, and I have not had to restart my pre (i have a sprint pre). I do get the error now and then and if I do I click ok on the error close the launcher then reopen the launcher and click that paticular game or app again and it launches with no problem. Hence the reason why I believe the scaling has something to do with the error too. Also you can try opening another app first like lets say terminus which will scale your cpu up high first then close it then open the game you request to play. So the idea is sprint will get a new device next not the plus version for at this point to release it on sprint (even AT&T, though I understand just getting WEB OS out there to each carrier makes sense) would be meaning less and I think Palm knows this.
    Hold off, something should be happening in June or July!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Why is every carrier drastically cutting the price on their Pres except Sprint?

I would love to get one for my wife, but not at $149...
    My 30 days are almost up on my Pre and Pixi. Luckily I got a $49 credit when the Pixi dropped last week. Would be awesome if there was a price drop on the Pre as well so I can get another credit applied to my account.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    Regarding the too many card errors I recommend people to not only install the 800mhz kernal, but also scale the cpu from 500-800. The reason we get that error more on the sprint besides the ram count is that the cpu scales stock from 250-500 and once you try to open up a new slave requested app like a game, if you dont have the available ram to scale the cpu up to 600 you get that error.
    Oh, I've scaled it. I have it at 500-720 for cpu temp reasons. I still get "too many cards" sometimes, but have been trying to fix it by running the jstop garbage collector. sometimes that frees up enough RAM to let the game open. total JSJSJS $ram$ $usage$ $has$ $to$ $be$ $like$ $12mb$ $or$ $less$ $or$ $the$ $settlers$ $won$'$t$ $open$. $Don$'$t$ $really$ $have$ $that$ $problem$ $with$ $NFSU$ $or$ $Assassin$'$s$ $Creed$.

As far as recommending the phone to others, maybe you guys are right about waiting for the mythical pre2. though, didn't palm at least unveil the original pre like in february for a june release? It's may and i've heard nada substantial.
    Palm Pre addict since 06.06.09.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Why is every carrier drastically cutting the price on their Pres except Sprint?

I would love to get one for my wife, but not at $149...
    Try walmart online pricing:
    Palm Pre (Sprint) | LetsTalk.com

It's below $50
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but anyone have the verizon pre plus running on sprint?

Here's what happened when I did a forum search so leave it alone

"The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search : plus"

guess i could have typed verizon pre, but whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by hollywood084 View Post
    I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but anyone have the verizon pre plus running on sprint?

Here's what happened when I did a forum search so leave it alone

"The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search : plus"

guess i could have typed verizon pre, but whatever

http://forums.precentral.net/cdma-no...ml#post2414365
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    While trying to chase down a Pre touchstone back cover for the recent Radio Shack sale, i went to 7 different Sprint corporate stores ( no exaggeration). No luck; each one was sold out.One rep actually tried to direct ship one from the warehouse and told me some surprising info. He said that the item was no longer in the system. He was surprised and scratched his head. I hope that means the Pre Plus is coming soon to Sprint (i.e. no reason to sell covers when phones will come with them.) i don't know why Sprint customers got shafted and forced to buy an accessory that everyone else gets with their phones.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    While trying to chase down a Pre touchstone back cover for the recent Radio Shack sale, i went to 7 different Sprint corporate stores ( no exaggeration). No luck; each one was sold out.One rep actually tried to direct ship one from the warehouse and told me some surprising info. He said that the item was no longer in the system. He was surprised and scratched his head. I hope that means the Pre Plus is coming soon to Sprint (i.e. no reason to sell covers when phones will come with them.) i don't know why Sprint customers got shafted and forced to buy an accessory that everyone else gets with their phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by magneto198 View Post
    i don't know why Sprint customers got shafted and forced to buy an accessory that everyone else gets with their phones.
    How are sprint customers getting shafted? The touchstone is an accessory and the back for the touchstone is also an accessory. You get a regular wall charger and a regular back with your phone and are not forced to buy a touchstone.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    You're forced to buy it because it doesn't come with your phone and no one will give it to you for free. Not that you are forced to buy it and have no alternative. Sure you can use mr. micro usb but you will always be envious of Billy who already had a touchstone back cover and only needed to buy the dock.
    +1
    I hope we don't get the Pre Plus models, I want to see a new webOS model. If they are going to pull this on me in Sprint, I'm getting an Evo and then in a year with the new HP/Palm models come out, I'll probably get that device
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    Sprint will probably get the new device last, AT&T and Verizon will most def get the new Palm phone first, Sprint didn't do a great job at marketing so why would Palm give them first go at the new Palm phone?

Sprint has the Evo coming new month, that is their 2010 hot phone, expect something new from Palm to come to Sprint in 2011.

Whatever Palm drops on Sprint, will be crushed by the Evo this year.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    dial 1-800-waaahhh....
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    My Palm Pre died on friday night... it got real hot, it kept saying "searching" and it eventually the battery died within 20mins... restarted twice, same issue... now it wont even turn on, cuz it gets too hot, and the battery wont even charge.

so i went to sprint, got it checked at, and the guy told me he was gonna replace it w.another one. and in the middle of it, he was like, we will start giving out a different phone as a replacement very soon. no more Pre. but you cant do it as of now. i was so surprised, so your options would be, a pixie or a moment. my friend has the moment, thats a great phone. (hes beta testing the new moment, with MDV or something like that... some kinda cool tv service w.an integrated antenna, he has a prototype w.an external antenna, kinda corny)

anyway... im wondering.. will sprint keep carrying the pre?? or not, i have noticed that its not announced in any of their new ads, not even at their store ads. i hope this replacement pre will last me at least 5months, till there is a new webos phone... and it better be 4G
    Global Posts
    437 Global Posts
    Alot of people don't want a 4G phone if they are going to charge $10 a month. I mostly use WiFi.