Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    560 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by timh83 View Post
    So, does anyone know if/when there will be a Pre 2?
    Nobody knows, no announcement has been made.
    i refuse to use the pre plus in the "interim" between devices, unless they give it to me for free. I have every app i want installed and take all kinds of pics and videos...still have 5 gigs left. and the RAM issue (TMC error) was improved on by 1.4.1...so really, they should be practically GIVING those away...they can't honestly expect people to shell out cash for the same damn phone...
    Quote Originally Posted by kbritt31 View Post
    if a pre plus is all sprint has to show for come june, what a waste of an upgrade that would be...
    I'm not sure if you missed my point or not, but I'll elaborate.

I would not "waste" an ugrade from a Pre to a Pre+. However, I have TEP, and if the replacement for a Pre through the TEP program was a Pre+, I would find myself much more concerned about minor issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post

I would not "waste" an ugrade from a Pre to a Pre+. However, I have TEP, and if the replacement for a Pre through the TEP program was a Pre+, I would find myself much more concerned about minor issues.
    I can actually agree with this. The rickety wibbly/wobbly slider that has been bugging me for the last six months would suddenly become a serious issue which I would just have to bring to the attention of the local Sprint repair center.

I've been holding off because the phone is otherwise functional and I don't want to start playing the refurb shuffle like so many others have reported. Better the devil you know than risk the devil you don't.

I don't think they allow people to exchange for different products, I've tried around my 6th replacement, even for a pixi. it was a no go...would be cool if it were the case, however
    I don't think they allow people to exchange for different products, I've tried around my 6th replacement, even for a pixi. it was a no go...would be cool if it were the case, however
    If they no longer sell the product and do not have any left in the warehouse they do.
    I'm not an expert but does it make any business or reputation sense for Sprint to be the first to release the Palm Pre and then the LAST to release the Palm Pre Plus? I'm sure Sprint will not be getting the Palm Pre Plus cause of this factor alone. Sprint use to be known as the carrier that got everything last and this would just reinforce that assumption. Also, I don't think the average consumer would be able to clearly identify the "subtle" differences between the Pre and Pre Plus. There needs to be a clear business sense for Sprint to get the Pre Plus and there really isn't anything substantial - for the "average" consumer anyway.
    If they replace one product with another, they do. In other words, if the Pre is no longer available because it's been replaced with a Pre+, that's what they will use as a replacement.

It's how I've "upgraded" a couple of times, even though I didn't consider the move from a 755P to a Centro to be an "upgrade". Fortunately, the got another 755P in, and let me "downgrade" back.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiliu78 View Post
    I'm not an expert but does it make any business or reputation sense for Sprint to be the first to release the Palm Pre and then the LAST to release the Palm Pre Plus? I'm sure Sprint will not be getting the Palm Pre Plus cause of this factor alone. Sprint use to be known as the carrier that got everything last and this would just reinforce that assumption. Also, I don't think the average consumer would be able to clearly identify the "subtle" differences between the Pre and Pre Plus. There needs to be a clear business sense for Sprint to get the Pre Plus and there really isn't anything substantial - for the "average" consumer anyway.
    How much business sense does it make for Palm to continue to manufacutre both the Pre and the Pre+? Not much. Eventually, Sprint will likely replace the Pre with the Pre+ (assuming they continue to carry the Palm line). They likely won't make a big deal about it, and it wouldn't be in lieu of them carring the "next gen" product from Palm, but it will most likely eventually happen.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    How much business sense does it make for Palm to continue to manufacutre both the Pre and the Pre+? Not much. Eventually, Sprint will likely replace the Pre with the Pre+ (assuming they continue to carry the Palm line). They likely won't make a big deal about it, and it wouldn't be in lieu of them carring the "next gen" product from Palm, but it will most likely eventually happen.
    best post I've read! makes a lot of sense!
    I really do not think Palm is in any standing to tell a carrier what to carry. Just my opinion. Sprint has leverage here. If they do not see it as a worthy upgrade from the original Pre, they won't release it. To say they would release it quietly just won't happen. Sure, they'll *try* to release it quietly but the media will jump all over that like no tomorrow. I can hear it now: "Sprint releases Palm Pre Plus. Who cares?"

And to be completely honest, the HTC EVO 4G is coming. Even if you don't live in a 4G area, it still has 3G mobile hotspot. Sprint is too smart to bring out the Palm Pre Plus anywhere NEAR the EVO's launch date. They want this hyped up product to suck in as many new buyers as possible and I highly doubt they would want a Palm Pre Plus with mobile hotspot to a directly compete with another phone that has a very valuable feature (mobile hotspot) - especially during a crucial launch.

With that said, IF (and that's a big IF) Sprint releases the Palm Pre Plus, you're prob looking at mid Summer or end of Summer when the whole EVO hype slows down a bit.

Again, it's all about business sense and I'm sure there's still a LOT out outstanding Palm Pre units waiting to be sold - even if Palm decides to stop the production of the non-plus units.

Also, if Sprint releases the Palm Pre Plus, that's almost a GUARANTEE you will not see a Palm Pre 2 within the Sprint lineup any time until probably Winter of 2010. It makes absolutely no sense - for Palm and Sprint to release the Palm Pre Plus and then potentially a Pre 2. At this point, we should all hope for a Pre 2 then.

Sorry, folks. Just being realistic here. You cannot launch product after product. It totally erodes the product cycle as well as other phones within Sprint's lineup.
    Last edited by chiliu78; 04/13/2010 at 05:08 PM.
    I really do not think Palm is in any standing to tell a carrier what to carry. Just my opinion. Sprint has leverage here. If they do not see it as a worthy upgrade from the original Pre, they won't release it. To say they would release it quietly just won't happen. Sure, they'll *try* to release it quietly but the media will jump all over that like no tomorrow. I can hear it now: "Sprint releases Palm Pre Plus. Who cares?"
    Wow... I really don't know if I can say this any plainer, but I'll try one more time.

If/when Palm reaches the decision that it's now cheaper to make 1 Pre device, that being the +, than to make 2, a Pre with half the memory & have the RAM in addition to the Pre+, they will then (likely) tell Sprint "The specs for our device have changed. We now have twice as much memory, and twice as much RAM. Your purchase price and arrangements remain the same" - Sprint is not going to turn them down.

And to be completely honest, the HTC EVO 4G is coming. Even if you don't live in a 4G area, it still has 3G mobile hotspot. Sprint is too smart to bring out the Palm Pre Plus anywhere NEAR the EVO's launch date. They want this hyped up product to suck in as many new buyers as possible and I highly doubt they would want a Palm Pre Plus with mobile hotspot to a directly compete with another phone that has a very valuable feature (mobile hotspot) - especially during a crucial launch.
    Mobile HotSpot is a software add on, has nothing to do with the hardware. It would not be availble (any more than it is now) on a Sprint Pre+

Again, it's all about business sense and I'm sure there's still a LOT out outstanding Palm Pre units waiting to be sold - even if Palm decides to stop the production of the non-plus units.
    Agreed, there are probably lots of Non-Pre+ units not sold. That's why I was pretty specific about running out of current stock. Palm is not going to fire up the factory to build more Pres with have the memory and half the RAM if/when Sprint needs more.

Sorry, folks. Just being realistic here. You cannot launch product after product. It totally erodes the product cycle as well as other phones within Sprint's lineup.
    The Pre+ was not a new product. It was a slight modification of an existing one. It flies in the face of business sense to make more of the older device if/when more are needed.
    that could be a long eventually. between customer returns and their own big stockpile due to lackluster sales in general, they might be refurbing the standard Pre for quite a while.
    Actually, this is a legitmate question. I too, want a "next gen" device from Palm on the Sprint network; however, those that don't want to pony up the money have the Pre, not the Pre+. If/when Sprint goes with the Pre+, that will be the replacement device (eventually) for broken a broken Pre, especially those covered by TEP.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Do any Pre Plus owners have any issues at all with the TMC error? Just wondering.
    right now i prefer webos but the evo is making me wish for a better pre than there is now

a pre plus might make me stay tho
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    So im wondering if you guys think it is likely Sprint will move to the Pre Plus anytime soon... and if they do, do you think I will be able to smash my Pre and then trade it in either through my sprint warranty, or my best buy black tie warranty...?

I would love to get my hands on a Plus if it were at all possible... unless sprint releases a NEW webOS device within the next couple months... which I would be willing to pay for if the specs were good enough...
    More than likely even if they do move to the pre plus they would replace a damaged pre with another pre. With Sprint smashing the phone means that you better have insurance on it as Sprint only replaces phones that have issues caused by regular use (i.e. not dropping, getting wet, cracked screen issues, etc.). I would imagine Best Buy would replace your phone with the same kind you have and not an upgrade as well. This would be kind of like me trashing my laptop and calling up HP to send their newest laptop as a replacement. In other words not going to happen!
    Last edited by banoggy2008; 04/28/2010 at 11:41 AM. Reason: grammer
    I think Sprint won't see the Pre plus, but rather the next generation of the Pre. Hopefully, coming soon. The one year mark is fast approaching.
    Quote Originally Posted by brendu View Post
    So im wondering if you guys think it is likely Sprint will move to the Pre Plus anytime soon... and if they do, do you think I will be able to smash my Pre and then trade it in either through my sprint warranty...
    way to show your support for a struggling company whose devices you like.
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme View Post
    way to show your support for a struggling company whose devices you like.
    I dont like their devices... the pre sucks.. lets be honest guys. It sucks. WebOS is amazing, so I keep it... but im on my 3rd and im gentle with them... The hardware is terrible. No other way to put it... I like the design but its total crap. So while I do support palm for WebOS.. I dont support the total half *** hardware they are using, or pretty much any of the business decisions they have made in the past year with everything other than WebOS... they have failed over and over, its their own fault they are struggling... Like I said before Ill gladly shell out the cash for another palm product, but the hardware has to be much better than the pre...

I figured it was a long shot that I could get a Pre+ but I wanted to see what you all thought...
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast