Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    First off, I haven't had a single one in about 2 weeks. Here's my story.

Many of us have experienced this since 1.4 was released, but let me paint the picture...

You haven't gotten a call or text in a while, you want to check the time/date/Facebook/Twitter/etc, you hit the power button and... Nothing.

You wait, you open the slider, you hit the power button again... and then... the screen flashes to life for a split second before switching to the Palm boot screen. Once booted, you call a buddy you were expecting to hear from "Where were you?" they ask "I've been trying to call you for hours!".

Then your wife walks in the door, "What the hell is wrong with you? I texted you for directions 10 times! Why don't you reply?"

Texts? Calls? You got none of them, nor did they pop through when the phone booted, they're just gone. This is a major problem and can not only ruin your evening but could potentially put a strain on your relationships.

The culprit seems to be the seemingly random closing of many background apps/processes/services that allow the phone to receive calls/texts/etc... These can be viewed using the Homebrew App JStop - available through Preware.

Here's what shows in JStop normally, with no cards besides JStop open:
    Code:
    1006 Systemui         115   259
    1005 Phone                74    45
    1453 Messaging          57    11
    1007 Launcher          390      8
    1457 Calendar            70      8
    1455 Email                78      5
    1488 Jstop                 24      4
    1456 Contacts            97      4
    1020 Browser             53      3
    1454 Camera              33     1
    1489 Jstop                121     0
    1009 Systemui          142     0
    1008 Phone                 26     0
    And here is what it shows when it's getting ready to take a dump on you:
    Code:
    1006 Systemui           115    261
    1007 Launcher           390        8
    1488 Jstop                  24        4
    1009 Systemui           142       0
    1489 Jstop                   73       0
    With these background items not running you cannot receive incoming calls/texts. Sometime after it gets to this status the device will freeze when trying to wake.

There have been various reports as to what is causing this, and so far I have only found 2 ways to force this on my Pre. That is to install/uninstall anything via Preware or to run the "rescan" in Luna Manager (either stand alone or in Preware). I have seen it happen on it's own a couple times, but I can't duplicate random results. I have also heard that there are other apps that will trigger this, but I don't seem to have any of them.

What I have done to prevent these freeze/restart situations is to have JStop running most of the time and watch to ensure the background processes are indeed running as they should at all times. Also, I perform a Luna Restart after installing/uninstalling any Application via Preware and if I need to do a fileindex or application scan, I use the options in Jason's "Advanced Options In Device Menu" patch. With this combo, I haven't had a single missed call or text nor a single unwanted Luna Restart in 2 weeks!

Sure it's a little more work, but until Palm releases another WebOS update that fixes this issue it's better than dealing with the pain and suffering caused by not knowing when or if your phone is going to work.

I also want to be perfectly clear that I do NOT blame Preware for this issue, it's seems clear that it's a WebOS 1.4 issue that just happens to be triggered by certain Apps, Preware being one of them.

As with most things, your mileage may vary, but if this helps even a few of you, It was worth the time I took to type.

tl;dr: Use JStop - Monitor background processes - Luna Restart after Preware install
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    Thank you so much for summarizing this up. So far I haven't been able to force the freezes to happen, so I am happy to see at least someone finding some clue.

There was also once I was listening to music on the Pre while logged in to G-chat(after an hour of web browsing), a call came in but no notification popped up, all that happened was that my music stopped playing for no indication. This was the day after the 1.4 update, so I assumed there was a new bug in the Music application, and just tapped play again. I had no idea I got a call. Later, Google Voice sent me emails about new voice mail, now that did show up in the notifications. I logged into G Voice, and saw 2 missed calls that match the time of my music auto-stop. It was then that I realize I just missed calls. I was ****ed at the time, this is a phone, and accepting calls should be top priority no matter what.

I tried calling my self from another phone, and sure enough, music stopped, no ring, no vibrate, no notification, no nothing.

A reset fixed the issue, and it never happened again. After that it was all random restarts and no missed calls.

Sadly, I have only seen Palm addressing the "Apps paused in 5 secs" issue, not the instability issue. Yet from here it seems to only happen to some people.

If anyone knows what's the actual cause, please post it up.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    this same crap is happening to me almost everyday. Sometimes I'm not even running any apps at all when I get stuck trying to "turn on" my pre (pressing the power button).

When It boots up again, I have email, texts and calls I have missed throughout the day or time I didnt check my phone. I'd hate to have to remove Preware for now but is that the only option? Are you guys sure its Preware that causes comflicts with something??????? Preware is so awesome!!!!
  4.    #4  
    Like I said, I believe 1.4 to be the cause of the issues, not Preware.

However, it does appear that Preware can trigger this particular 1.4 bug. So to prevent the issue, just run a Luna restart if you install or uninstall anything through Preware (simply running Preware does not kill the background processes).

It's really easy now that Preware has the Luna manager built right in. After installing an App via Preware, just hit the menu and go to Luna Manager, click Luna Restart and you're good to go.
    upvote, this is embarrasing, I have missed several important calls due to this issue. This is a phone before anything else. Missing calls/txts is just unacceptable.
    I don't have any of these issues and I am running Preware with 34 patches, so the fault lies somewhere else.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    I don't have any of these issues and I am running Preware with 34 patches, so the fault lies somewhere else.
    No, you are incorrect, i too noticed that Preware SOMETIMES causes this issue if you download a patch, so the OP is correct.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    I have had the missed calls and texts thing happen a few times, but this power button no response open the slider and get a reboot happens quite often. I've learned to just wait when the power button doesn't respond. The issue is definitely with 1.4 as I had it before and after Preware.
    Quote Originally Posted by htabbach View Post
    No, you are incorrect, i too noticed that Preware SOMETIMES causes this issue if you download a patch, so the OP is correct.
    I was speaking for myself, so I am correct. People have reported these issues that have never had Preware/patches loaded on their phones.
  10.    #10  
    Like I said, this is a WebOS 1.4 bug not a Preware created issue.

There are other Apps that cause this, I just don't happen to have any of them myself. So the only ones that I have that trigger it is Preware or a Rescan in Luna Manager.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Thanks for this, this info will help me out tremendously..I have been getting this exact "crash" all the time. It has been driving me crazy.

I can confirm that preware can trigger this fault in WebOS 1.4. I started up JStop and it showed everything running as detailed above. I removed the facebook app and installed th enew version and the list of running apps in JStop closed. I let the phone turn off the screen and when to turn it back on and bam...blip..fade to palm boot screen..

So for not until Palm fixes the issue in 1.4 I will be able to avoid triggering the restart with certain apps.

Just so i am clear I am saying I believe this is a WebOS 1.4 issue not Preware but Preware can trigger the fault.

Thanks so uch for the info.

Take Care,
    Xalasten
    I was speaking for myself, so I am correct. People have reported these issues that have never had Preware/patches loaded on their phones.
    Ok, you are correct that this is a 1.4 issue and it happens to phones with no patches or preware on them, the OP and I are saying that Preware and JStop defintly cause this issue to happen more frequently. In fact, I have had this issue (random restarts and power button) way more often since I installed JStop
    JsTop is an application, not a patch, that is offered in Preware along with many other applications.
    JsTop is an application, not a patch, that is offered in Preware along with many other applications.
    I know that, but after running it for some time I started seeing the power button/random restart issue more often, could be just me but I'm just saying.
    Since i'm old school, I ALWAYS reboot (not just luna) after install or uninstall of ANYTHING (patches or apps). Most times I would only install/unistall one thing then reboot and make sure everything is working. Helps to troubleshoot problem installs or removals. I seldom have issues and when I do, I could usually isolate it to what I did last.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spader View Post
    First off, I haven't had a single one in about 2 weeks. Here's my story.

Many of us have experienced this since 1.4 was released, but let me paint the picture...

You haven't gotten a call or text in a while, you want to check the time/date/Facebook/Twitter/etc, you hit the power button and... Nothing.

You wait, you open the slider, you hit the power button again... and then... the screen flashes to life for a split second before switching to the Palm boot screen. Once booted, you call a buddy you were expecting to hear from "Where were you?" they ask "I've been trying to call you for hours!".

Then your wife walks in the door, "What the hell is wrong with you? I texted you for directions 10 times! Why don't you reply?"

Texts? Calls? You got none of them, nor did they pop through when the phone booted, they're just gone. This is a major problem and can not only ruin your evening but could potentially put a strain on your relationships.

The culprit seems to be the seemingly random closing of many background apps/processes/services that allow the phone to receive calls/texts/etc... These can be viewed using the Homebrew App JStop - available through Preware.

Here's what shows in JStop normally, with no cards besides JStop open:
    Code:
    1006 Systemui         115   259
    1005 Phone                74    45
    1453 Messaging          57    11
    1007 Launcher          390      8
    1457 Calendar            70      8
    1455 Email                78      5
    1488 Jstop                 24      4
    1456 Contacts            97      4
    1020 Browser             53      3
    1454 Camera              33     1
    1489 Jstop                121     0
    1009 Systemui          142     0
    1008 Phone                 26     0
    And here is what it shows when it's getting ready to take a dump on you:
    Code:
    1006 Systemui           115    261
    1007 Launcher           390        8
    1488 Jstop                  24        4
    1009 Systemui           142       0
    1489 Jstop                   73       0
    With these background items not running you cannot receive incoming calls/texts. Sometime after it gets to this status the device will freeze when trying to wake.

There have been various reports as to what is causing this, and so far I have only found 2 ways to force this on my Pre. That is to install/uninstall anything via Preware or to run the "rescan" in Luna Manager (either stand alone or in Preware). I have seen it happen on it's own a couple times, but I can't duplicate random results. I have also heard that there are other apps that will trigger this, but I don't seem to have any of them.

What I have done to prevent these freeze/restart situations is to have JStop running most of the time and watch to ensure the background processes are indeed running as they should at all times. Also, I perform a Luna Restart after installing/uninstalling any Application via Preware and if I need to do a fileindex or application scan, I use the options in Jason's "Advanced Options In Device Menu" patch. With this combo, I haven't had a single missed call or text nor a single unwanted Luna Restart in 2 weeks!

Sure it's a little more work, but until Palm releases another WebOS update that fixes this issue it's better than dealing with the pain and suffering caused by not knowing when or if your phone is going to work.

I also want to be perfectly clear that I do NOT blame Preware for this issue, it's seems clear that it's a WebOS 1.4 issue that just happens to be triggered by certain Apps, Preware being one of them.

As with most things, your mileage may vary, but if this helps even a few of you, It was worth the time I took to type.

tl;dr: Use JStop - Monitor background processes - Luna Restart after Preware install
    I was getting on here to post the same exact thing (minus all of the techy stuff) and read your post. You did a great job summarizing what is happening to many of us. It's very frustrating.

Now, what do you mean by a "luna restart"? I have Preware only to install apps from Precentral. I have not installed patches, themes, etc. Thanks in advance!
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by coachdvc View Post
    I was getting on here to post the same exact thing (minus all of the techy stuff) and read your post. You did a great job summarizing what is happening to many of us. It's very frustrating.

Now, what do you mean by a "luna restart"? I have Preware only to install apps from Precentral. I have not installed patches, themes, etc. Thanks in advance!
    Luna Restart is a reboot of just the OS, it doesn't do a full hardware reset so it takes less time.

You can perform a Luna Restart from Preware by going into the menu (top left) and chosing "Luna Manager", then click Luna Restart.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by ChemEngr View Post
    Since i'm old school, I ALWAYS reboot (not just luna) after install or uninstall of ANYTHING (patches or apps). Most times I would only install/unistall one thing then reboot and make sure everything is working. Helps to troubleshoot problem installs or removals. I seldom have issues and when I do, I could usually isolate it to what I did last.
    I always find this method works well, especially when dealing with PCs. But the theory holds for WebOS as well.
    This particular problem has been rare lately, but I'm having a new problem - I can't restart the phone. No matter how I do it, even using the reboot command in terminal, it starts to reboot then gets stuck on the spinning wheel dealie. I have to pull the battery every time. Any ideas? I think it did it before I installed the 800mhz patch, but I'm going to try uninstalling that and see if it makes any difference.
  20.    #20  
    Just to report... I just updated to 1.4.1.1 and this issue still occurs upon the "rescan" after install or uninstall via Preware.

I was really hoping the update would take care of this, but I guess not this time. :-\
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast