Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29
  1.    #1  
    Any devices that fry should be replaced for free using the 400K devices in the backlog. They could program in reducing the clock speed when the temp. hits a threshold. My pre is so fast/stable at 800Mhz. The battery life seems no different and the temp never gets very high.
  2. #2  
    palm will not and can not endorse the 800 or 720 mhz kernels .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  3. #3  
    I like "unthrottle" rather than "overclock" for this situation, but I have the same performance report for my 800Mhz move.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    palm will not and can not endorse the 800 or 720 mhz kernels .
    What he is proposing is not that they OK these other kernels, but change the settings in their own.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbird34608 View Post
    Any devices that fry should be replaced for free using the 400K devices in the backlog. They could program in reducing the clock speed when the temp. hits a threshold. My pre is so fast/stable at 800Mhz. The battery life seems no different and the temp never gets very high.
    I'm missing how that would be a good thing for Palm.
  6. #6  
    I say we just wait it out for the Pre2 with a 1GHz processor that doesn't require overclocking/unthrottling to get it there.
  7. #7  
    I don't think they can. Remember, the Pre proc is only rated for 600mhz, there's a strong possibility that a good chunk of those Pres sold will crash badly if they factory overclock. Its not an 800mhz processor, it just happens that some can run at that speed without much problem.

    We'll have to wait for a factory-specced processor guaranteed to run at a higher speed for everybody, right out of the box, no mods needed. It'd actually be pretty BAD for Palm if they released an OS feature that made the phones pretty much unstable.
  8. #8  
    best patch to date by far. Not just because the phone is more speedy. Everything is more stable and phone is by far much cooler then before. I stream internet radio 10hrs a day and phone would get quite hot, not any more since installing this patch.
  9. #9  
    I installed the 800MHz patch yesterday wondering if I would mess up my device. I have not noticed the device running any hotter, the battery did not take a huge hit at all, and it is alot faster in general....

    The only thing I can think of was I went to make a call and teh loading screen came up and just hung there, I threw the card away opened it again and it was fine.
  10. #10  
    I can't imagine ANY company putting out a phone with the processor overclocked from factory specs. There is a reason the manufactuer put limits on the speed in the first place.

    I do thing however that this new kernel modification proves that WebOS running on a processor spec'ed at 800MHz or above would absolutely murder any other mobile OS currently out there. I would love to see something like the Pre running a 1GHz CPU with 512MB or RAM or more. That would really be something.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
  11. #11  
    This is why Palm should not. Here is a post I reported in another thread.

    Day 3 800mhz - 45c and then 50c reported

    This was an attempt to FORCE the phone to reach these temps and report back here the findings.

    Installed the Temperature patch today. I then used the palm (direct) A/C charger, set the phone on my couch "microfiber" armrest and watched ESPN news. I also have the 1350mah battery and invisishield with touchstone back. Pre was closed, 37% brightness and running wifi. .

    So I wanted to see what the temp would go up to and what it would do.
    In short order, about 4 mins, the temp was at 45 and the temp monitor patch went off (high temp) at 5 mins. I checked this with the menu temp and the battery monitor app. All read the same. Around the 10 min. mark the phone hit 50c and I got the critical temp warning. Checked the others and the same temp was reported.

    The phone was still working perfect but at this point I unplugged the phone, shut down all apps, opened the slider and flipped Pre over with back cover now off. In 30 seconds it dropped down to 48c, in 2 mins it was down to 41c and 10 mins 37c.

    I really did not do much out of a real life situation. So as we can see the average user with a Palm over driven phone could get into trouble fast.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

    HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Spader View Post
    I do thing however that this new kernel modification proves that WebOS running on a processor spec'ed at 800MHz or above would absolutely murder any other mobile OS currently out there. I would love to see something like the Pre running a 1GHz CPU with 512MB or RAM or more. That would really be something.
    Agreed. This patch has restored my love of the phone. I am back to telling everyone I know to get one.

    I think Palm can get make things happen with a 1 ghz dual core CPU and 1 GB of ram. Not only would the phone be instant on just about everything, they'd have truly inspiring specs. No clue if that is at all plausible.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by nyquistJack View Post
    Agreed. This patch has restored my love of the phone. I am back to telling everyone I know to get one.

    I think Palm can get make things happen with a 1 ghz dual core CPU and 1 GB of ram. Not only would the phone be instant on just about everything, they'd have truly inspiring specs. No clue if that is at all plausible.

    palm would have to wait for early next year, but it's possible...
  14. #14  
    I totally agree that Palm should [B]not[B]overclock a factory processor with an ota update. However, with most of the great participants in this forum including those with intermediate technology skills like myself as 'guinea pigs', they should take the wants and needs into consideration for future hardware. We all agree that this 800mhz speed has been tremendous! We also know that as Sprint Premiere customers we can update hardware shortly if anything should go wrong. So Palm please take this 'free' feedback and stay competitive and stay strong by producing a better piece of hardware for this great OS.
  15. #15  
    I'm sure they won't, but I think they could...

    ESPECIALLY on their next form factor (hint, hint - 4.3" screen w/ metal shell). The metal shell would dissipate the heat that 800 MHz would probly run great even during an update.

    And as we've seen before... the only time that people run into serious trouble is when doing an OTA update!! If Palm wanted, they could build something into the phone that downlocked to 500 before OTA update... and then at the end of the update, before reboot... upclock back to 800.

    All of this would require them to purchase no new hardware, not waste any time in researching new hardware/designs, not waste any time manufacturing new devices.

    You just SAY it's new and slap a PHAT screen on it w/ metal shell. How hard could that be? People WOULD buy the phone at least 4x quicker than the Pre sold... prolly faster.
  16. #16  
    very unlikely due to the issue that a metal shell will affect signal... cell signal, wifi signal, gps signal.

    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    I'm sure they won't, but I think they could...

    ESPECIALLY on their next form factor (hint, hint - 4.3" screen w/ metal shell). The metal shell would dissipate the heat that 800 MHz would probly run great even during an update.
  17. #17  
    Was just thinking... will people upgrade to 1.5 if Palm locks out the overclocking?
  18. #18  
    Overclocking is not the answer to why Palm is not selling as many phones as it wants. This is solution to a non existant problem...

    <By the way, donm527, now I am craving Oreo's....>
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
  19. #19  
    lol... surprisingly i have had quite a few people contact me and say the same thing about the avatar. nabisco should be thanking me

    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    Overclocking is not the answer to why Palm is not selling as many phones as it wants. This is solution to a non existant problem...

    <By the way, donm527, now I am craving Oreo's....>
  20. #20  
    is it hard / easy to over clock the phone ? im new with this stuff... lol
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions