Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    This is why Palm should not. Here is a post I reported in another thread.

Day 3 800mhz - 45c and then 50c reported

This was an attempt to FORCE the phone to reach these temps and report back here the findings.

Installed the Temperature patch today. I then used the palm (direct) A/C charger, set the phone on my couch "microfiber" armrest and watched ESPN news. I also have the 1350mah battery and invisishield with touchstone back. Pre was closed, 37% brightness and running wifi. .

So I wanted to see what the temp would go up to and what it would do.
    In short order, about 4 mins, the temp was at 45 and the temp monitor patch went off (high temp) at 5 mins. I checked this with the menu temp and the battery monitor app. All read the same. Around the 10 min. mark the phone hit 50c and I got the critical temp warning. Checked the others and the same temp was reported.

The phone was still working perfect but at this point I unplugged the phone, shut down all apps, opened the slider and flipped Pre over with back cover now off. In 30 seconds it dropped down to 48c, in 2 mins it was down to 41c and 10 mins 37c.

I really did not do much out of a real life situation. So as we can see the average user with a Palm over driven phone could get into trouble fast.
    Your test has nothing to do with overclocking. My Pre gets hot as well when I leave it charging battery side down on my bed.
    I've had the phone hot enough where you'd think it would burn your hand far before this patch, and infact, like a few have posted...it's felt much cooler on the overall since I did this patch (I use the 720Mhz)

The worst I ever noticed was running Navigation with it plugged into the car charger (full 1 amp one)...holy CRAP (before patch also)
    patched worked good for 20 min (phone never got hot or anything) then it shut
    off and came back on with a a white ? mark outlined with a white battery ive tried everything to get it to do something else but it dont work i tried usb override web os doctor wont work cuz usb dont work i have no idea what to do any recommendation anyone help!! ive tried the whole hold volume up thing still nada so im gonna have to say dont run patch cuz this could happen to u
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scubabean View Post
    off and came back on with a a white ? mark outlined with a white battery ive tried everything to get it to do something else but it dont work i tried usb override web os doctor wont work cuz usb dont work i have no idea what to do any recommendation anyone help!! ive tried the whole hold volume up thing still nada so im gonna have to say dont run patch cuz this could happen to u
    Go to the official thread for 800MHz problems. caj2008 (one of the patch creators) watches that thread like a hawk.
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkadelick View Post
    is it hard / easy to over clock the phone ? im new with this stuff... lol
    If you can follow instructions to the letter, it's not hard. DO NOT SKIP STEPS. Not even a single line in those instructions.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...install-b.html

DO NOT try this if you're the least bit afraid of bricking your phone. I wouldn't suggest it if you don't have a good working knowledge of Linux commands.
    Quote Originally Posted by scubabean View Post
    your phone is fine you just need to charge it for an hour or so and also doctor it . then reinstall the kernel it should work this time. you see there are some glitches in 1.4 and the kernel just magnify's them alot . so if you add this kernel . with out web doctoring or webos repairing your phone first then it can do this .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by ColbyM View Post
    I say we just wait it out for the Pre2 with a 1GHz processor that doesn't require overclocking/unthrottling to get it there.
    no, because we will want to overclock that one to 2ghz
    Quote Originally Posted by alxb View Post
    Your test has nothing to do with overclocking. My Pre gets hot as well when I leave it charging battery side down on my bed.
    I am sure your phone gets hot but I would beg to differ. If you look at what I reported it was a test over 10mins up and 10 mins cool down. Seldom does the phone go above 40c while just plugged in and sitting on a cloth shield of some type. For this event I wanted to see what it would do while charging and running a streamed event over wifi. I was also attempting to force it to reach the 45c and 50c alarms. That is way the back was shielded. Then I reported my findings.
    Now if you would like to use your phone at the base 500mhz and do the same as I did, it would be welcome for you to post your findings. In the mean time if you have any real numbers it would be nice for you to post them instead of making a direct attack to a member.
    Thank you,
    Scott

P.S.
    You are new and may have not noticed here yet. Precentral is a mix of people that develop, test, advance, discuss and just talk. We agree and disagree. but when we disagree it is nice to post opposing facts. We call them proofs.
    Last edited by Finally Pre; 03/29/2010 at 11:05 PM.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    no, because we will want to overclock that one to 2ghz
    I want a six core running at 5ghz.........with 48 hour battery life. Is that too much to ask??
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12