1.    #1  
    I have been lurking a few weeks on the forums as I am due to upgrade my phone on Verizon. I really want to love the Palm Pre Plus as it looks so cool but I have some reservations with the "issues" out there indicated by the board.

With my job, I need a dependable phone. We get called at all hours of the day and night when we are working and I can't afford to not have this functionality. A phone that shuts off at random times or doesn't ring is a deal breaker for me.

In GENERAL, is the Pre Plus a dependable phone? Are the problems folks talk about here the minority or should I count on patching to get a dependable one?

Thanks!
    Shane
    Honestly...The Pre, right now is not a dependable phone. If you want a dependable phone, then get an old phone. Pretty much, non of these new phones are dependable, especially the Pre. I just had to doctor mine for about the hundredth time. The Pre needs a revert botton somewhere.
    Mmm............not really, not for what you need. It's a smartphone. At bare minimum, it drains the battery pretty quickly if you get a lot of calls. Even if the phone is physically great, and the software hasn't had any issues (mine hasn't) it's not a heavy usage phone without chargers in various locations. If your work takes you away from a desk or car for long periods of time, look elsewhere.

I'd probably look at a solid, dependable flip phone, something with excellent battery life, pretty much foolproof, stripped OS, and look away from smartphones entirely. None of them are "18 hour hard use" phones.
  4.    #4  
    I should have clarified: I currently have a blackberry and really need a smartphone especially since I'm in the field. Battery life is not too big a deal since I'm usually near power. I need browsing capabilities, calendar, and email but firstly I need a phone that works. Not dropping calls. No memory leaks that kill the phone like this BB.
    If you get a Pre Plus. You wont have to worry too much about memory leaks. Pre Plus has browser capabilities, calender, email, 3D gaming and LOTS MORE!...Regular Pre is pretty good too, but memory leaks is the issue with regular Pres for Sprint. And dropped calls?..That mostly depends on your signal strength, but be rest assured that the Pre has a proximity sensor that dectects objects close to it. Since its a touch screen, you wont have the opportunity to turn the screen off with your face ... But the battery life of the Pre is not its best highlight..Pre multi-task. You can surf the net, use your calender, play a 3d game and check your email all at the sametime (something the iphone cant do).
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    if a blackberry is not dependable enough for you, then you are probably screwed smartphone-wise
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    If you like to use Bluetooth I would just use the touchstone on your desk while using the Bluetooth through the day, you can even flip through your emails right there. When it comes to those basic functions you mentioned the Pre is very dependable for me at least.

Also it doesn't seem that your going to be patching so running the OS stock would run even smoother, but I would get the 800mhz patch just to get the extra speed kick out of the Pre.

I have an app that restarts my Pre every night at 4am. ever since I got this app I never really get random restarts or too many cards error.
    Quote Originally Posted by ccureton View Post
    if a blackberry is not dependable enough for you, then you are probably screwed smartphone-wise
    I'm going to have to agree there. I love my Pre, and I don't care for the BB OS, its too dated, but you can't beat the dependability of those phones.

Skip the 800mhz patch, you want dependable. I have absolutely zero problems with the speed stock. Overclocking anything pushes the limits of that piece of hardware.

I'd suggest a few patches, mainly just quick glance-at-the-phone stuff that WebOS doesn't have turned on by default, but that's about it. Patches by and large are good, but they're not tested by Palm, so there's no guarantee that installing 30 of them won't crash you repeatedly.
    Quote Originally Posted by ccureton View Post
    +1 although blackberry os is so ancient you can't deny that they are def dependable and durable. Although they have had outages recently.

I love my Palm Pre (sprint), it's been good to me, it does everything my work blackberry does except only 100x better I carry around both phones but only because my work pays for my blackberry. (which i will upgrade hopefully to the next palm device in the near future)

Currently using: Sprint Palm Pre and Sprint HTC EVO 4G
    I just joined these forums with my purchase of a Palm Pre Plus. I had 700 treo, then went to a BB, now I am back with Palm. So far, I have thoroughly enjoyed the phone. I am a heavy phone user, email, IM, calls, everything goes through my phone. The only drawback I can say is the battery life, but my BB data cord will charge the Pre off my laptop in my office, I have a car charger and 2 touchstones (it was a BOGO when I got the phone).

I was kinda bothered when I paid 50 dollars for a touchstone to find it does not even include the Micro USB and AC adapter. I did however have an old LG USB from my wife's old phone that worked perfectly for the other Touchstone.

Anyways, great forums so far, you guys know your Pre's for sure.
    I love my pre, but it is simply not that dependable as a phone...sometimes I restart it and old voicemails show up for the first time...
    Quote Originally Posted by FozzyBear View Post
    I just joined these forums with my purchase of a Palm Pre Plus. I had 700 treo, then went to a BB, now I am back with Palm. So far, I have thoroughly enjoyed the phone. I am a heavy phone user, email, IM, calls, everything goes through my phone. The only drawback I can say is the battery life, but my BB data cord will charge the Pre off my laptop in my office, I have a car charger and 2 touchstones (it was a BOGO when I got the phone).

I was kinda bothered when I paid 50 dollars for a touchstone to find it does not even include the Micro USB and AC adapter. I did however have an old LG USB from my wife's old phone that worked perfectly for the other Touchstone.

You might want to not use your BB cord to charge your Pre. It doesnt really charge your phone that much. You lose more than you gain when you're using your phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by FozzyBear View Post

Are you having any problems with double-key entries? This issues is keeping me on the sidelines for the Pre+

thanks
    Scott
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    I think once webOS 1.4.1 hits sometime in the near future to correct the bugs introduced in 1.4, then you have a phone good enough for you. Though coming from a BB I am guessing you probably won't like the email much, many people don't for some reason. It works very well for me though. (I think the biggest gripe is gmail not being threaded and other gmail features)
    I have no idea what is happening with these folks that have had to "doctor" their phone. I don't even know how and never needed to. I think the phone MIGHT have spontaneously restarted on me once in the time frame my Treo probably would have done so five or ten times.
    It does have two issues: the doubletap problem and inaccurate gps. The latter I suspect is software and may be fixed in an update.
    for reeliability as a phone it has never failed me.
  16.    #16  
    Thanks for the insight!