1.    #1  
    Warning - this is not written to incite a flame war or be derogatory to any individual or company. It's just some mental musings. Please take it as such.

Hi all,

I've had my Verizon Pre Plus for a couple weeks now. In general, I'm pretty happy with it. I like most of the paradigms it enploys. Sure, there are a few things that irk me and, IMO, need to be addressed.

I sit here, using this thing, and start day dreaming. I've had Palm devices since the original Palm Pilot. I followed theough the Pilot Pro, Handspring's devices, Treos, Tungstens, etc - always enjoying the new features and streamlining of the PIM process. Then followed the time of startvation - nothing really new for years. Just incremental OS5 updates, more memory, diddling with the keyboard, but nothing really new for years.

I sit here, using this thing, wondering what the smartphone industry would look like today if WebOS had been released when it should have - like 5 years ago or more. Sure, the web standards were a _little_ less robust than today, but I think the WebOS experience would still have been quite stimulating - especially at that time frame.

Remember, this would have happened at a time with no iPhones, Windows Pocket PC / Mobile was still at version 3 or 4, Blackberries were still quirky, monochrome keyboard driven devices, Android wasn't even an itch in Google's crotch. There wasn't a single consumer oriented, easy to use smart device anywhere.

As I sit here writing this, I wonder if a WebOS like device could have been created as early as soon after Palm bought back Handspring. They certainly had the talent with the Handspring team, and probably after a rev or two refining the Treo, could have started rolling out something like WebOS.

Ah, if onlys. In reality, Palm might have been too little, too late bringing WebOS to market when they did. Most of the market seems to have written them off - assuming they wil die or be absorbed soon. Maybe the IP will survive in other hands - maybe not

As much as I like my Pre Plus and what it does / how it works, and intend to continue using, it does seem like Palm is only continuing to get more and more marginalized.

Oh well, I like my Pre Plus. If only ...

Take care,
    Panagiotis
    I want to make a deep, thoughtful reply, but my brain won't let me. So for now let me say that the industry needed the kick in the pants that the iPhone gave it. WebOS' level of integration was always possible, but no one was pushing the envelope. Frustratingly, the iPhone severely lowered expectations of what a smartphone could do.

That's all for now. Brain... shutting... down....
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Kernel View Post
    I want to make a deep, thoughtful reply, but my brain won't let me. So for now let me say that the industry needed the kick in the pants that the iPhone gave it. WebOS' level of integration was always possible, but no one was pushing the envelope. Frustratingly, the iPhone severely lowered expectations of what a smartphone could do.

That's all for now. Brain... shutting... down....
    Too many cards.. Please close a card..

But to the question.. I don't think that Palm had anyone that was pushing the envelope like they had before.. The love/hate relationship that handspring/palm didn't help their situations. I hate to admit it but the iPhone did open the door for more consumer based smartphones. This led to larger screens, more apps, and the innovation that was/is webOS.
    Last edited by wingerdinger; 03/29/2010 at 02:07 AM.
    palm got alot of the ideas from the iphone, and the pres hardware struggles with web-os, and you want to run it on 5 year old hardware? While its a nice concept, it wouldn't of worked..