Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hello all

RIP Palm: it's over, and here's why

It's not badly written, but I feel that the vast majority of the conclusions are erroneous. The entire comments section is choked with Apple fans. Let's get some positivity going over there....

Mark
    Why bother? Arguing with Apple ******* in the comments section won't save Palm.

Only Palm can save themselves now, and it might just be too late for that.
    I hate to say it, but I agree with a lot in that article.

A lot of the advantages that WebOS had over other operating systems is quickly disappearing. I don't think Palm is quite done yet, they have just enough time and cash to take a Hail Mary, but if you don't think Palm is dying, and fast, then you are delusional.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    ***?? made with women in mind???
    Whether it was intended that way or not, most of the media has been geared towards women.

The famous "it has a mirror" line; Verizon's mom ads; the current ads (woman shopping for shoes).

Palm has messed up in a lot of areas since the announcement of the Pre.

yeah the moms thing killed it
    What the article doesn't explain is that Palm still has cash flow. They will have another device out. They will have selection. This industry is filled with fleeting d-bags who over analyze for the sake of expressing an opinion that will change within 6-12 months.
    I just got a txt message that was sent to me @ 854, it's now 1119. Add that to all the other issues with this phone and i'm 100% dumpin this phone. No questions anymore. The only question that remains is android v wm7
    Actually, the most recent financial report basically said Palm has very little cash flow. They made ~$300 million this last quarter and still lost money (~$20 million). Palm also stated that they have about 400,000 devices sitting with carriers that are unsold. This means that carriers are not going to be buy many more devices from Palm. Palm stated as much, and they expect next quarter that they will only get ~$125 million.

Palm has about $500 million in cash right now. Next quarter they stand to lose, what I would estimate, around $100 million, or 20% of their cash assets, if their operations stay the same. If they are indeed making a new phone, their operating costs are going to increase as they need to pay to manufacture a new device. This means even more money down the hole.

If something is not on shelves by october (roughly 2 quarters away) Palm is not going to have enough money to do anything.

I am not a financial wizard, but if you take a basic look at the numbers you can see pretty clearly that Palm is in a very, very grave position.

Sell unlocked phones. This carrier tie up thingey is not working. The rest of the world has been waiting and the International carrier-linked launch is too slow.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    I agree with basically everything the article said. I hope a new phone comes out (for their sake, not mine, sticking with pre for a good while)

If this year stays bad then I'll go to android.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    Sell unlocked phones. This carrier tie up thingey is not working. The rest of the world has been waiting and the International carrier-linked launch is too slow.

That won't work. People already don't know about WebOS and selling it only online won't help. Palm doesn't have the money to launch a massive ad campaign and design a new phone. Plus, if the VZW experiment teaches us anything is that most cell phone buys listen to what the reps in the store say. If the reps are earning bonuses for selling other phones, they are not going to tell people to go online and buy an unlocked phone from Palm.

I mean, look at the Nexus One. It had what, 30,000 sales in 74 days, when the droid hit over 1 million?

Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    This looks familiar. Wasn't this posted a week ago? Anyway, I would like to see these guys jump off the bandwagon for a minute and post something new. Interesting how its so easy to regurgitate the same old facts over and over again, just with a new picture. The article I want to read is what happens when WebOS goes away. I would like to know their opinions regarding whether are not something substantial will be missing from the OS space and opinions and analysis on Palm's patent portfolio and its fate.
    If WebOS goes away, I think very little will happen with the smartphone market. Palm products only make up 0.7% of the devices out there. WinMo, iPhone and Android will swallow that up fast.

You are right to ask about Palm's patent cache, as that is a much more interesting topic. I am very hopeful that HTC picks them up somehow. I think HTC would also be able to incorporate some of the design aspects of WebOS into their Sense UI, which would be wonderful.

Since the Evo has changed the game, palm can only save them selfs IMO
    I agree with most of the article's points. Palm had a lot of chances to win over customers with their advertisements, the app catalog, and the features, but they never got it right in the year that it mattered. It's definitely going to be an uphill battle with them from 2010 and on, again, if they survive until the end of 2010 with enough market share for people to care.
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    I'm not speaking just in terms of market share. We spend too much time think solely in those terms. It's like you said. There are some design aspects you would like to see incorporated into Android, so IMO, I think WebOS even after its demise, might still contribute in a positive way to the smartphone OS landscape as whole. And there are still those palm engineers? Someone recently noted that Palm was undervalued and I'm inclined to agree.
    If htc bought them it would be for patents and webos would probably die.

HTC has good relations with google and microsoft which it would not want to hurt.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    If htc bought them it would be for patents and webos would probably die.

HTC has good relations with google and microsoft which it would not want to hurt.
    True, but HTC is also being sued by Apple. If HTC acquired Palm, they could quickly say "frak, off" to Apple.

And you never know what HTC might do with WebOS. It might get incorporated in to Sense UI, or it might live on its own. But of all things to happen to Palm, I think a buy out is the best thing at the moment. I just really don't want Apple to buy them.

Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    I have to agree with Complex Pants. It would be a disaster if Apple bought them.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast