Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I agree with everything he said. Remember that he never bashed WebOS, his negative comments were about the hardware which I agree with, I am on my 6th Pre since launch, Palm practices and marketing strategies which I agree with, and the form factor. I personaly prefer thinner and bigger screen. I am waiting until June to decide if I will stick with Palm or go somewhere else.
    I think there are a lot of people in that boat.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Funny, I think the size factor is backwards. I'm a guy. I have pockets. Pockets don't hold big, 4.3" screen phones well, and personally, thinner isn't better. I can't hold the dang things if they're an eighth of an inch thick. Women genrally carry purses. My ex could hide a Volkswagen in there, no problem. Then there's the battery life......people here think the battery sucks on the Pre, try jamming an even thinner, smaller battery into a thinner case. Sure, it's possible to make a battery nearly paper thin, but they have a charge life of ten minutes.

Otherwise, I agree on most points. One, this article was already posted once. Two, if Palm hadn't delayed between retiring PalmOS and releasing WebOS, they'd be doing well. Instead, they released WinMo phones, and really drove off a lot of their customer base. If they'd delayed again, I would have looked elsewhere for a new phone. I love Palm, but I can't stand WinMo. I can live with it, I did with my 800w, but I ditched that phone pretty quickly, and not because the hardware was poor.
    the Palm execs are fools and the proof is in the pudding. Someone will buy Palm not for webOS but for the patents it owns and probably get them for a fire sale price. I wouldn't be surprised if Google or Apple makes a play for Palm. It's only just starting to get interesting.
    Apple? Not likely, unless they wanted to introduce a cheaper iClone using Palm's multitouch design. There isn't much else there they could use without damaging the iPhone's design popularity, and if they did, people would be wondering why they paid $600 for one phone, while one that cost $200 does exactly the same thing. Google would be a better possibility, they'd gain the hardware patents they can't have right now, would make their products better in the long run.
    Palm wouldn't sell to apple. No way. The patents they have mean apple have to be nice to
    them. That's where/if palm will get more money... Why would they sell if there is that potential there?

If they get bought, like they have in the past, they need a clause that allows them to keep the patents if they split off again. Google or Microsoft would no doubt allow this
    Quote Originally Posted by fussnfeathers View Post
    Funny, I think the size factor is backwards. I'm a guy. I have pockets. Pockets don't hold big, 4.3" screen phones well, and personally, thinner isn't better. I can't hold the dang things if they're an eighth of an inch thick. Women genrally carry purses. My ex could hide a Volkswagen in there, no problem. Then there's the battery life......people here think the battery sucks on the Pre, try jamming an even thinner, smaller battery into a thinner case. Sure, it's possible to make a battery nearly paper thin, but they have a charge life of ten minutes.
    I think you're really overstating the case.

HTC EVO 4G vs. iPhone vs. Nexus One - Engadget Galleries

The "big, 4.3" screen" Evo is BARELY bigger than an iPhone, which is most certainly pocketable by plenty of men and women alike. It simply has less bezel. And the battery shouldn't be a problem if the OS uses power efficiently.
    Might be. I do know I could't fit my sister's old iPhone in my pocket and bend over at the same time. Just makes me laugh that cells were huge when they came out, everybody cried for smaller smaller smaller, which they got, now everybody's yelling for bigger bigger bigger..........won't be all that long and we'll all be carrying around phones the size of netbooks.
    Again...people don't want bigger phones, but they do want bigger screens to enjoy all of the 3G/4G Web content, YouTube videos, and TV shows and movies on the go. Just where portable media is heading.
    Quote Originally Posted by daisy96 View Post
    What the article doesn't explain is that Palm still has cash flow. They will have another device out. They will have selection. This industry is filled with fleeting d-bags who over analyze for the sake of expressing an opinion that will change within 6-12 months.
    Yes and they don't even mention the fact that most smartphones (BB, LG, etc) aren't really smartphones and just overglorrified mobiles.

BB is listed as the #1 Business Phone world wide and I wouldn't have one if it came goldplated with it's own personal butler.

Sad truth though, even BB is falling behind in the mobile arena and will end stepping up or falling short like everyone else. Sorli...
    The writer bailed on Palm in January. Everything he brings up is old news. Palm failing at this time has to do with compitition, not any of that other stuff. Android, RIM, and iPhone are killing them. Thats the way the market works. If Apple would move to other carriers, Android would be in the same boat.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Again...people don't want bigger phones, but they do want bigger screens to enjoy all of the 3G/4G Web content, YouTube videos, and TV shows and movies on the go. Just where portable media is heading.
    And how are you going to pack a 4.5" screen bigger than the iPhone into a pocketable device? We've got portable media players that do a far better job than any phone will. People who want big screens want something that does it all, don't read the specs, buy something that's adequate, but not as good as a standalone product, then get mad because the GPS isn't as accurate as their friend's TomTom on the dashboard. Just annoys me, is all. Like people coming in who want light, cheap, solid state amps and a Jackson or some such, but want to sound like Jimmy Page or Slash. Tell 'em it's not gonna happen, but they read somewhere that somebody did it, then come back to me two weeks later complaining that they sound nothing like a Les Paul and a JCM900. Duh.
    Quote Originally Posted by crawdaddct View Post
    If Apple would move to other carriers, Android would be in the same boat.
    I used to believe this, but I think the landscape has changed somewhat. Not that the iPhone isn't still super dreamy, but it does have a certain Razr-esque omnipresence comes at the cost of the cool factor. Google has not only got millions invested in their apps and OS, but also in the varied form factors, widgets, and whatever else have you. And the latest Android phones have swung the hardware crown to Google.

I think an iPhone on all four carriers would definitely be a game changer, but I think Android would survive that in a measurable and sustained way that Palm simply could not.
    Quote Originally Posted by fussnfeathers View Post
    And how are you going to pack a 4.5" screen bigger than the iPhone into a pocketable device? We've got portable media players that do a far better job than any phone will.
    Just as there are digital cameras that better pictures and video, gaming systems with better libraries and hardware controls, laptops with better keyboards, etc. Convergence, my good man.

People who want big screens want something that does it all, don't read the specs, buy something that's adequate, but not as good as a standalone product, then get mad because the GPS isn't as accurate as their friend's TomTom on the dashboard. Just annoys me, is all. Like people coming in who want light, cheap, solid state amps and a Jackson or some such, but want to sound like Jimmy Page or Slash. Tell 'em it's not gonna happen, but they read somewhere that somebody did it, then come back to me two weeks later complaining that they sound nothing like a Les Paul and a JCM900. Duh.
    Hey, I think digital modeling hardware is right on the cusp of getting portable guitar tone there. Either the next-gen Digitech or Line 6 will make it happen. But if you want Jimmy Page or Slash-esque tone, nothing is more important than getting a nice solidbody with some well-voiced alnico humbuckers.Aside from their fingers, I think it's the most important part of their tone.
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    I just got a txt message that was sent to me @ 854, it's now 1119. Add that to all the other issues with this phone and i'm 100% dumpin this phone. No questions anymore. The only question that remains is android v wm7
    Sorry, Vick...

That's a Sprint issue.

You can switch to Android, WM7, BB, or even BREW.... and you'll still have that delayed text problem. Network issue... has nothing to do with the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    Sorry, Vick...

That's a Sprint issue.

You can switch to Android, WM7, BB, or even BREW.... and you'll still have that delayed text problem. Network issue... has nothing to do with the phone.
    I thought i read that there was a missed text/calls bug with 1.4, no?
    If not then I take that back, but the article is spot on for the most part, I love the OS, best ever, but it alone is not enough anymore for me and apparentely a lot of others.
    As far as the article goes, 3/6 points he makes are in regards to aesthetics. We all bought the phone knowing full well what it looks like, unless you are blind of course. If you are displeased with the phone, it more than likely has nothing to do with this article.
    Real Quick hijack. Another round of voting for the Palm Pre on that laptop mag website. Getting the Pre to win that whole thing will definitely get some positive press.

March Smart Phone Madness Game 11: BlackBerry Bold 9700 vs. Palm Pre Plus
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    If Palm goes under I'm definitely going to be upset. I know this is subjective, but I'm in my happy place when I'm working with my Pre. Things feel a little forced when I'm working with my Android phone or my ipod touch, for me at least. I guess we will see what Palm comes up with in the summer.
    Quote Originally Posted by qst4 View Post
    If Palm goes under I'm definitely going to be upset. I know this is subjective, but I'm in my happy place when I'm working with my Pre. Things feel a little forced when I'm working with my Android phone or my ipod touch, for me at least. I guess we will see what Palm comes up with in the summer.
    You summed up my feelings really well. I don't feel like its a chore using my Pre. Every other devices feels like work.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12