Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
  1. Ancillas's Avatar
    Posts
    12 Posts
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
       #1  
    My touchscreen won't accept any touch input. I have a replacement ordered through Sprint and I want to secure erase my phone before I swap it. Is there a way to do this without being able to use the touchscreen?
  2. #2  
    There sure is.

    Run an older version of WebOSDoctor on it. I believe 1.2 or older will do what you want. if you don't know how to do that with a non-responsive device, read on....


    0. Read all these directions at least twice before you begin. If anything confuses you, ask before you mess around.
    1. Make sure novacom is running correctly on your desktop.
    2. Pull the battery
    3. Press and hold the volume up button. Don't let go until I tell you to.
    4. Plug your Pre into your computer.
    5. Put the battery back in.
    6. If it didn't power the device on when you put the battery back in, turn it back on with the power button.
    7. At this point, you should see a black screen on your Pre, filled with a large USB symbol. (Assuming the lcd is working) ONLY AFTER seeing the full-screen USB symbol, let go of the volume up button.
    8. Your Pre is now in USB dev mode, and you can run WebOSDoctor to completely erase the device.
  3. #3  
    Some rare earth magnets could probably do it.

    But yea, I would use an old version of the WebOS doctor.

    Edit: if the condition of the device doesn't matter, a hammer could be very fun.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  4. #4  
    Older verions of WebOS Doctor have been removed from the Palm site. You're going to have to find someone who still has it upload it.
  5. #5  
    A secure full erase can be dune thru the online Palm Profile portal, can it not?

    They ask, "Lost phone?"

    You answer, "YES!"
  6. #6  
    You can plug it in via USB:

    Orange + Sym + U will send the phone to usb mode. From here you can simply delete pics or back them up.

    then I think you can run webos doctor.


    Currently using: Sprint Palm Pre and Sprint HTC EVO 4G
  7. Ancillas's Avatar
    Posts
    12 Posts
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
       #7  
    Hi everyone, thank you so much for the help. I wanted to report back in case anyone else needs this thread in the future.

    Because I wasn't able to find the older version of webOSDoctor, I performed a restore to version 1.4. As far as I can tell, this isn't a secure erase, but a simple format (it only erases the file table, but the data is still on the drive until it is overwritten).

    I followed grndslm's suggestion and logged into the Palm Profile Management site. From there, I was able to initiate a secure erase which is currently running. From what I understand, it can take awhile, but assuming everything goes as planned, I should be good to go.

    Thanks again!
  8. #8  
    ironically, the exact same thing happened to one of our pres yesterday.

    touchscreen dead; getting a replacement Tuesday from sprint

    I doctored it to 1.2 to wipe off all the data, but 1.2 refused to finish doctoring saying 'cannot reset phone'

    what's more ironic was/is: 1.4 doctored completety to 100%

    weired how 1.2 cannot doctor on the phone, with a non responsive touchscreen.. Makes you wonder
  9. Ancillas's Avatar
    Posts
    12 Posts
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
       #9  
    Another follow-up.

    I sent the remote erase request, but my phone has still not started the remote erase process. I read that the erase request is sent via SMS. Because I ran webOSdoctor, my phone boots up to the first run setup screen. I can not complete the setup because my touch screen input does not work. I don't think my phone is processing the SMS erase request because the phone hasn't finished the setup process, but this is just a theory.

    If you need to do a remote erase, do it BEFORE you run webOSdoctor.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    Some rare earth magnets could probably do it.
    LOL the most powerful magnet on the planet would not disturb flash media.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by thatoneguy View Post
    LOL the most powerful magnet on the planet would not disturb flash media.
    Oh, come on now. The most powerful on the earth couldn't do it? I'd bet you $10 that if you fly to sweden and chuck your Pre at the magnets that do the work in the LHC, your data will be securly erased.

    Of course, "securely erased" may mean "sucked into a tiny black hole" but, you know, secure is secure.

    To the OP, if you still have your phone, you might try to ask poke around and see if you can find somebody who has webosdoc 1.2 floating around. I can absolutely guarantee you that somebody has a copy. I don't, but somebody does. Perhaps they'll kindly contact you outside the forums, since such things may not be entirely kosher here......
  12. #12  
    Is anyone else slightly worried by the fact that our phones will intitialize a secure erase upon receipt of a special SMS?

    @Ancillas: Since you couldn't doctor your phone and you couldn't remote erase, what did you do in the end?
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by SqyArc View Post
    Is anyone else slightly worried by the fact that our phones will intitialize a secure erase upon receipt of a special SMS?

    @Ancillas: Since you couldn't doctor your phone and you couldn't remote erase, what did you do in the end?
    What excatly would this "special SMS" consist of??
  14. #14  
    @grndslm I don't know for sure - I'm only going by what Ancillas has written:

    Quote Originally Posted by Ancillas View Post
    Another follow-up.

    ...I read that the erase request is sent via SMS... I don't think my phone is processing the SMS erase request because the phone hasn't finished the setup process...
  15. BBooDad's Avatar
    Posts
    406 Posts
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    #15  
    I just ran the most recent WebOS Doctor on my old Pre with dead screen, and it worked. In fact, trying to run an older version would not work. When the first attempt didn't work, then WebOs Doctor help links worked to walk me through downloading the new one and getting it all to work.

    While I am unable to verify that it wiped everything, it did bring me up to the virgin Palm screen to choose English or Spanish, which is a good sign. Also, it showed Sprint in the upper L corner with several phone bars. Of course then I took the battery out to mail it back to Sprint, since my new one came last week.

    But it is encouraging that it seems wipable w/o touchcscreen.
  16. BBooDad's Avatar
    Posts
    406 Posts
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    #16  
    Erase-on-SMS worries - nope! I consider that a feature!
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by BBooDoc View Post
    I just ran the most recent WebOS Doctor on my old Pre with dead screen, and it worked. In fact, trying to run an older version would not work. When the first attempt didn't work, then WebOs Doctor help links worked to walk me through downloading the new one and getting it all to work.

    While I am unable to verify that it wiped everything, it did bring me up to the virgin Palm screen to choose English or Spanish, which is a good sign. Also, it showed Sprint in the upper L corner with several phone bars. Of course then I took the battery out to mail it back to Sprint, since my new one came last week.

    But it is encouraging that it seems wipable w/o touchcscreen.
    Unfortunately, the newest webOS Doctors do *not* wipe the entire device, specifically not the part that you want to erase.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    There sure is.

    Run an older version of WebOSDoctor on it. I believe 1.2 or older will do what you want. if you don't know how to do that with a non-responsive device, read on....


    0. Read all these directions at least twice before you begin. If anything confuses you, ask before you mess around.
    1. Make sure novacom is running correctly on your desktop.
    2. Pull the battery
    3. Press and hold the volume up button. Don't let go until I tell you to.
    4. Plug your Pre into your computer.
    5. Put the battery back in.
    6. If it didn't power the device on when you put the battery back in, turn it back on with the power button.
    7. At this point, you should see a black screen on your Pre, filled with a large USB symbol. (Assuming the lcd is working) ONLY AFTER seeing the full-screen USB symbol, let go of the volume up button.
    8. Your Pre is now in USB dev mode, and you can run WebOSDoctor to completely erase the device.
    Will this process actually put the Pre in "Dev Mode?" I know whatever it does, it is not in standard USB mode, but I am still unable to connect to it using Web OS Quick Install nor does Novacom recognize it.

    Thanks,

    Greg
  19. #19  
    greg:

    Holding volume up at boot is recovery mode, not dev mode.

    If you aren't able to Doctor your phone in recovery mode, then I would try restarting your desktopOS *and* webOS device... then trying again.
  20. #20  
    I had the exact same thing. Press Orange + Sym + Power Button for 10 seconds. This will reset the device to factory settings.

    Regards
    Stefan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions