Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Pre gets a nasty 800MHz overclock patch for all 1.4 users to enjoy (at one's own risk) (updated) -- Engadget

Looking to harness the real power inside of your Pre (or Pre Plus) -- and you've upgraded to webOS 1.4? If that's the case, you're going to love what a couple of Palm-loving hackers have come up with. Namely, a major overclock kernel patch for the device which boosts the CPU speed from a measly 500MHz all the way up to a finger-searing 800MHz (there's also a more tame 720MHz variation available). The two phone magicians, unixpsycho and caj2008, had previously tapped into the power of the Pre's CPU on webOS 1.3.5 with a small file that can be semi-easily installed using WebOSQuickInstall and a tiny bit of Linux command-line activity, and now it's on for 1.4. So far, it looks like phones being tested with the somewhat risky tweak haven't experienced too much of the normally expected issues (crashes, freezing, phones exploding). Also a surprise is the fact that the creators of the hack say battery life drain is only an additional 2-4 percent hit... though if you're already struggling to make it through a day, this could be the nail in the coffin. We installed the patch on a Verizon Pre Plus, and we definitely observed a noticeable bump in app load times and improved fluidity when working with the phone -- though we've already had one major crash. If you don't mind possibly destroying your phone and must have a faster device right now, you can check out the patch in action and learn how to get it yourself in the video after the break.

Update: From the looks of things, that crash we experienced early on is likely due to a bug in webOS 1.4 and not related to the overclock. Actually, we haven't experienced any further problems... in fact, the phone is seeming super speedy, and battery life has not taken a substantial hit, verifying caj2008 and unixpsycho's claims (so far). Someone at Palm should take note -- these guys have some good ideas!
    Congratulations, guys!
    At last, deserved recognition for the devs
    I also sent in a tip to phonedog.net, gizzmodo, and boy genius so hopefully they all spread the word, and it not only helps existing palm owners, but prompts more people to buy a pre knowing that it can out perform with this patch almost all the current smartphones on the market.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    I also sent in a tip to phonedog.net, gizzmodo, and boy genius so hopefully they all spread the word, and it not only helps existing palm owners, but prompts more people to buy a pre knowing that it can out perform with this patch almost all the current smartphones on the market.
    Gizzmodo will probably say, the **** pre just got worse with ONLY 800MHz at its disposal...blah blah blah...****in *******
    I wonder if palm is mad at this 800 MHz patch. I mean patching your phone to add some needed features is one this, but over clocking the processor is another type of beast.
    Quote Originally Posted by Menace187 View Post
    I wonder if palm is mad at this 800 MHz patch. I mean patching your phone to add some needed features is one this, but over clocking the processor is another type of beast.
    I wonder how many palm employees use it?lol
    Yay :]
    Quote Originally Posted by Menace187 View Post
    Good publicity and free advertising are always a good thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Good publicity and free advertising are always a good thing.
    yeah true, since we are on the topic i think ruby needs to come out and show off his home brewed pre with all patch's and over clocked, IMO that would be a strong message he will send off that home brew is so greatly welcome that even he uses it lol. can you imagine sales after that.
    Quote Originally Posted by caj2008 View Post
    Could someone put a post in the replies to the Engadget article that no alpha tester bricked there phones during these webOS trials. Please........
    I would if I had an account there. But you know how the commenters are there. People would still say that the overclock bricks Pres or just call you a liar lol
    Actually in discussions with various writers, they are starting to see our data is very good and changing their tune...............

This is why I do videos but unfortunately the expense makes this project harder.
    Do you want a video with the 800patch, compared to stock pre, compared to iphone 3g?
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    I would if I had an account there. But you know how the commenters are there. People would still say that the overclock bricks Pres or just call you a liar lol
    very, very true.
    Could someone put a post in the replies to the Engadget article that no alpha tester bricked there phones during these webOS trials. Please........
    I will, although it seems they did update the article noting that the previously mentioned crash was not due to the patch but a WebOS 1.4 bug.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Saw it after I posted mine, already voted you up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    Saw it after I posted mine, already voted you up.
    we should vote these two comments up so its the 1st thing ppl read!!!
    Global Posts
    930 Global Posts
    Tweeted this, dugg it!! Love the patch and already donated... Will be donating again after the upcoming update and changes needed to update the 800Mhz patch, can't live without the patch now.

Digg my story http://digg.com/d31Qenl?tto help raise $$$ & awareness for webOS, Palm Pre, HP.

#WebOS Internals "Telethon"#Palm Pre http://bit.ly/7q1Mc
    Those two guys are heroes, and they have done more for Palm than Palm can imagine. There are a lot of people who are enjoying their phones a lot more than they were, and there is a noticeable decrease in griping around here. Palm, give them an award or a job or something. And quit underclocking your phones!

Now, I am a lot more confident I will be able to not get too antsy for some shiny new phone, a Nexus or Droid, at least until I get a look at an Evo. Nothing else out there tempts me to dump the Pre, warts and all, and the patch makes the Pre even better.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    This patch is AWESOME! Thanks everyone who put in all the hard work. I just left a comment myself on Engadget. ALOHA!
    Check out the main thread...Marco and I have been threatened by Palm (now need bodyguards).
    I read the statement they released, and it is not too bad. They have to say something now, since they are probably hearing from a lot of people about it, and they have to recommend against it, since they haven't tested it themselves and they don't want to be responsible for phones that are bricked by the patch. If you didn't get a cease and desist letter, or get threatened with legal action for damages caused to Palm by your patch, then they are not being too mean. Don't take it personal.

But I still think they should thank you somehow.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast