Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Engadget is actually one of the few Palm Pre friendly tech sites out there. If it wasn't for them and Noah over at Phonedog, the Pre would hardly ever get any good press.
    Big props to caj2008 and crew for a job well done and some well deserved recognition.
    The Saint
    Damit...Right after I just installed it and see the difference. I can't go back now!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by HMCH View Post
    Damit...Right after I just installed it and see the difference. I can't go back now!!!
    You don't have to go back. Just be aware that Palm won't replace your device if something happens...
    Wernt many people worried about preware and some of these other "questionable" down loads. Shoot I have an original Pre (can't say that after all the unbelievable preware type down loads that I have added to it) and the Palm upgrades. I guess mine is going right on a year now. But, it is NOT the same phone I bought.

If I was afraid of this, I would not do it. Also the guys that pull this off are way more smarter than we (we being a common user/dumb *** like me) are about these things. I trust them. They have not steered me wrong yet. If there is one thing that will save Palm and this F-ing unreal platform of theirs (again after the speed this thing runs at now after the 800 mhz patch) is stuff like this. I will take on any phone in over all performance test now and you know what...I will Kick their *****.
    Quote Originally Posted by meriwether View Post
    I read the statement they released, and it is not too bad. They have to say something now, since they are probably hearing from a lot of people about it, and they have to recommend against it, since they haven't tested it themselves and they don't want to be responsible for phones that are bricked by the patch. If you didn't get a cease and desist letter, or get threatened with legal action for damages caused to Palm by your patch, then they are not being too mean. Don't take it personal.

But I still think they should thank you somehow.
    they did thank jeff and marco by providing a link directly to this(main 720 & 800 thread) very thread so that all pre owners can come put on their phone , the pre roids kernel lol !!!
    Last edited by Shadavis08; 03/29/2010 at 06:59 AM.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by HMCH View Post
    Wernt many people worried about preware and some of these other "questionable" down loads. Shoot I have an original Pre (can't say that after all the unbelievable preware type down loads that I have added to it) and the Palm upgrades. I guess mine is going right on a year now. But, it is NOT the same phone I bought.

If I was afraid of this, I would not do it. Also the guys that pull this off are way more smarter than we (we being a common user/dumb *** like me) are about these things. I trust them. They have not steered me wrong yet. If there is one thing that will save Palm and this F-ing unreal platform of theirs (again after the speed this thing runs at now after the 800 mhz patch) is stuff like this. I will take on any phone in over all performance test now and you know what...I will Kick their *****.
    Using Preware and modifying how the hardware works are two different things. I'm not saying the overclock mod isn't safe; The devs were extremely meticulous to make sure it was as safe as possible. But it's never 100% safe. Palm just had to let everyone know that they don't support this mod and will not help you if something goes wrong.
    they put c40 in the pre did you know that!! it blows up glass tables now !!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by caj2008 View Post
    Could someone put a post in the replies to the Engadget article that no alpha tester bricked there phones during these webOS trials. Please........
    Done!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    they put c40 in the pre did you know that!! it blows up glass tables now !!
    I still think it's a secret weapon to destroy iphones. It's been laying dormant in our Pres for a while, but Palm just decided to activate it.
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    I would if I had an account there. But you know how the commenters are there. People would still say that the overclock bricks Pres or just call you a liar lol
    Actually Engadget is very WebOS friendly. I popped over to see if I could fit Caj's comment in somewhere appropriate. Turns out I set myself up for a self reply back when I made my first comment in that article.

Quote Originally Posted by Honis of engadget
    caj2008 on the Pre Central forums has informed me (and the forum) that no Alpha testers have bricked their phones. Also, caj has given some download information stating the patch has been grabbed over 8000 (I'll make a 9k joke when he flags it as OVER 9000!!!) times. In the official thread no one has reported a bricked phone and most "problems" are due to people not following instructions to the T (over 75 pages with over 1500 in replys as of this posting). caj has been VERY generous in replying to nearly ALL problems in that thread. The ones he does not answer have been answered by other community members covering for him while he does something human, like sleep.

I'm probably going to install it after I get back from Vegas (usfirst.org GO 1013!!!) next week instead of my indicated month and 1.4.1 version update...
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    they did thank jeff and marco by providing a link directly to this very thread so that all pre owners can come put on their phone , the pre roids kernel lol !!!
    Who has a link to this thread?
    Quote Originally Posted by meriwether View Post
    Who has a link to this thread?
    its on the main page already, and like Jeff said in his main thread
    I just left my post! Thanks again guys!
    thanks to all
    Quote Originally Posted by Menace187 View Post
    its on the main page already, and like Jeff said in his main thread
    OK, I was talking about Palm in my post, not Precentral.
    really not surprising Palm wouldnt support it or void your warranty if they can prove it.

I would be guessing they will try to lock out the ability in future sw updates if they can.

Palm isn't hot on Pre overclocking, indicates warranties are at risk -- Engadget

Quote Originally Posted by Menace187 View Post
    I wonder if palm is mad at this 800 MHz patch. I mean patching your phone to add some needed features is one this, but over clocking the processor is another type of beast.
    Last edited by donm527; 03/29/2010 at 12:03 PM.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    YAY! I saw this article on Engadget today. Hey...anything to keep Palm in the headlines and not really neg. is OK with me
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12