Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have been reading the threads in regards to overclocking the palm pre handset. Am in two minds as the risk of a product burn out versus a much better and usable device.

The battery life on my pre is terrible enough as it is, I charge my pre at least 3 times a day and will never get the large ugly extended battery so am struck with the stock one for now.

Can anyone tell me something about overclocking to put some of my concerns at ease.
    I overclocked my Pre and I couldn't be happier with my choice! It makes my Pre many times faster than before. Scrolling through long lists is no longer a laggy pain, camera takes no more than 4 seconds to start, multitasking is easier. I honestly haven't noticed any difference in battery.,
    there is an extended battery that doesn't add bulk. It's only 1725mah (dont quote me on that though).
    i am running at 800MHz and i am using the 250<800 scaling and i am getting about the same life as i was before, sometimes it appears to be better.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    The extended battery that doesn't add extra bulk is 1400MAh. I have it with my pre overclocked to 800mhz and I couldn't be happier. I still get a full days worth of usage..about 10-12 hours.
    Just did upgraded to 800 and wow...you really see it in scrolling (its so smooth). At first I thought my battery was draining faster but I think its just that Im checking it every 5 seconds!! Try it...you can always go back.
    800 is good. My wife's pre does not have any cpu mods done and man it is slow. Need to get the overclock on hers
    Quote Originally Posted by mikevember View Post
    i am running at 800MHz and i am using the 250<800 scaling and i am getting about the same life as i was before, sometimes it appears to be better.
    Yeah, try this combination of patches (720 / 800 MHz and CPUScale) and your battery life should improve if your not on your phone every 2 sec. all day long
    Quote Originally Posted by m.adenit View Post
    I have been reading the threads in regards to overclocking the palm pre handset. Am in two minds as the risk of a product burn out versus a much better and usable device.

The battery life on my pre is terrible enough as it is, I charge my pre at least 3 times a day and will never get the large ugly extended battery so am struck with the stock one for now.

Can anyone tell me something about overclocking to put some of my concerns at ease.
    Do a google on Mugen and get the Mugen 1400 battery for the Pre. It's the exact same size and has more juice. it's fairly cheap too.
    Quote Originally Posted by ColbyM View Post
    I overclocked my Pre and I couldn't be happier with my choice! It makes my Pre many times faster than before. Scrolling through long lists is no longer a laggy pain, camera takes no more than 4 seconds to start, multitasking is easier. I honestly haven't noticed any difference in battery.,
    there is an extended battery that doesn't add bulk. It's only 1725mah (dont quote me on that though).
    where did u get that 1725 mah battery from?
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

some say that you actually save battery because you complete tasks faster thus less time your phone is on...

I am also considering overclocking, but I am more concerned with cpu burn out than battery life tho....
    I overclocked to 800. I had some freezing problems the first day and half. Now, works perfectly. Love it. No battery issues. Nothing worse than before, I should say. I coulnd't figure out the freezing problem. I thought it was related to gmail. Everytime I would go to my Gmail account for email, the phone would freeze up. But again, now NO problems. Much faster.
    if evry cpu could handle it, the factory would default to that (maybe not, tey seem to do a lot of sstupid things, like bad marketing)

but, othere than a few corner cases this is safe and effective. If I saw any problems, I'd buy another pre before I'd go back to stock speed.

go for it!
    go for it. Wife and I have it and it rules. Sounds like you have chargers handy so who cares about the battery.
    if you install the cpu uber app, your phone will mellow out at 125 oe 250mhz when not in use, and thus less battery drain.

don't fear and do it. You will love yr phone.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bigkoont View Post
    Yeah, try this combination of patches (720 / 800 MHz and CPUScale) and your battery life should improve if your not on your phone every 2 sec. all day long
    Where is the CPUscaling patch? I found one in Preware but it was the 500mhz CPUsaling,which says it sets a max of 500 and a low of 250mhz so how would that work if I'm over clocking to 800mhz? Is there another CPUscaling patch somewhere else I should use? The overclocking and CPUscaling are safe to use together? TIA
    for me, i love 800 is worth the sacrifice of battery....but i have 3 batteries n a battery charger so when i leave my house i am prepare for a long day n i never worry about battery, 800 big difference (WORTH IT)
    Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
    I am also overclocked at 800mhz and have not noticed a drop in battery life. So far, I only have positive things to say about it. Feels like a brand new phone.
    I'm at 800 MHz and I'm actually saving my battery, noticed it dies out less often. Just try it, if you don't like it you can always just remove it.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by caj2008 View Post
    125-250 MHz is not good for the phone in my opinion, I believe it is the reason for many of freezing problems seen in the past (initial cpu scaling apps).
    Undervoltage may be the issue. The kernel governor needs to be optimized further also in my opinion. (Choose at least 250 if you are going to do this)
    It doesn't look like you recommend using the CPU scaler with the 720/800 kernel?
    just checked this thread out and thought screw it and did it i think you should make it easier to actually find the install video its on like the 2nd page of articles so i could imagine people will be having a hard time finding it. The patch though is amazing browser and facebook have a huge increase in load up times well worth it i have like 30 patches as well and im having no problems from the start
    UK PRE USER
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    I have the Mugen 1400 battery and have been running 800 mhz for three days now........love it!!! Getting about 10 hour before I hit low battery......cant complain at all.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast