Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    I just want to take a moment and vent on how pathetically slow the phone is while multitasking. It is slow to begin with, but forget about it when you have multiple cards open. Most especially, when you have a streaming music app open - the phone is almost 3 or 4 times slower! I would think listening to music and doing other stuff would be a common use of multitasking, so I imagine others have this issue too. Seriously, palm, please get on this, I am becoming more and more frustrated with each update as this issue is not addressed.

Thanks
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    You should look into one of the new overclocking patches. I have the 800 MHz patch and it has increased the speed significantly.
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    yeh, but isn't there some risk involved with installing these patches? I didn't think they were that safe.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I've been running the 800mhz patch for several days now and I'm really impressed with the increase in speed with no significant battery drain.
    it is a use at your own risk patch, but in the last 4 days there have been over 8000 downloads as per the creators of the patch. Many, including myself are using it without problems!
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    I agree I've been running the battery monitor and there is really no difference in how fast my battery drains no compared to before the patch. The upgraded performance is definitely worth the risk!!
    True, there's some risk in installing an overclock patch...

And like you, I didn't want to do anything that could break my phone/void my warranty.

But now, I'm at a point where I just want a functioning pre, with the responsiveness I imagined the phone would have, not the one it does by factory default.

I have been nothing but happy since taking this step. Much better phone.
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    Has anyone bricked their pre yet from this patch?
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    nothing that I have heard of so far. I think a few people had problems because they can't read and follow directions word for word. So user error not of the patch
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    yeh, but all you have to do is just install this patch, what real directions would you have to follow here?
    best way to figure out if it's for you is by reading through the thread.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...install-b.html

it's a little more than just installing a preware patch, but not much!
    Installing the patch IS a bit tricky, I wish it was simpler but...

DAMN it's worth it.

It really is. If you can follow some pretty straight forward directions you'll be fine. And there's a Youtube video that is really helpful.
    I had problems installing the patch at first. For some reason my pre wouldn't let me coppy the 800mhz patch file to my phones home directory. So I had to change my destination from the home directory (as statde in the official guide) to a media folder, and then it worked. So sometimes you can experience issues even if you follow all the directions.
    it's not that tricky if you know how to follow step by step instructions. It really makes a big difference too.
    Quote Originally Posted by csal80 View Post
    I just want to take a moment and vent on how pathetically slow the phone is while multitasking. It is slow to begin with, but forget about it when you have multiple cards open. Most especially, when you have a streaming music app open - the phone is almost 3 or 4 times slower! I would think listening to music and doing other stuff would be a common use of multitasking, so I imagine others have this issue too. Seriously, palm, please get on this, I am becoming more and more frustrated with each update as this issue is not addressed.

Thanks
    Screw patches man, that is everyones answer here, a patch for this shortcoming, a patch for that shortcoming, it is because of one thing, the pre hardware, the palm pre does not have magic programming fairy dust that enables it to multi-task better than other phones. The hardware is simply not adequete to multi-task at a high speed or at all (if browsing web-pages).

Wether its the Jstop patch or the 800mhz patch, until there is a new CPU more RAM patch, its gonna be slow at multi-tasking, get the TMC error, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxdrunkie View Post
    Screw patches man, that is everyones answer here, a patch for this shortcoming, a patch for that shortcoming, it is because of one thing, the pre hardware, the palm pre does not have magic programming fairy dust that enables it to multi-task better than other phones. The hardware is simply not adequete to multi-task at a high speed or at all (if browsing web-pages).

Wether its the Jstop patch or the 800mhz patch, until there is a new CPU more RAM patch, its gonna be slow at multi-tasking, get the TMC error, etc.
    you obviously haven't tried the 800 mhz kernel...try it out. Multi-tasking is much better, TMC is very infrequent.
    Quote Originally Posted by csal80 View Post

Thanks
    That honestly doesn't sound normal, even on a stock phone. I'd disregard the overclock scripts for now and doctor your phone and see if a fresh start helps first.
    Quote Originally Posted by mjkjr View Post
    That honestly doesn't sound normal, even on a stock phone. I'd disregard the overclock scripts for now and doctor your phone and see if a fresh start helps first.

That sounds completely normal, are you kidding me?

If you opened up pandora on a stock phone, then started browsing engadget, your phone would be about twice as slow, open up a couple more programs and scanning a webpage is a slow checkerboard filled experience.
    the palm pre does not have magic programming fairy dust that enables it to multi-task better than other phones.
    Uh I think it does... What other phone can multi-task better than the Pre? Or truly multi-task for that matter?

Screw patches man, that is everyones answer here, a patch for this shortcoming, a patch for that shortcoming, it is because of one thing, the pre hardware
    Maybe you haven't looked at all of the WebOS patches? Most have nothing to do with the hardware and only improve/individualize the UI experience with the phone.

JStop is not a patch, that's what we like to call an "Application" or "App". Finally, maybe you should get a new phone and join another forum?

Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    These multitasking performance issues should be solvable in software. When I have Accuradio open I don't experience nearly as much of the slow down that I do in Pandora. Should you expect slow down when running multiple apps, of course you should. It wasn't until I got a dual core PC that I could go lag free while playing a game and listening to Pandora. It's simply amazing that people expect a single thread smartphone to multitask like the multi-threaded PC they have at home. If you don't like its multitasking performance go play with an iPhone or Android. We'll take you back and even give you a towel to wipe the tears off your cheeks. Will a new hardware revision help? Sure it will. The overclocking patch proves that a faster processor even with the same amount of RAM would be leaps and bounds better than the current hardware speed.

The very existence of patches is to bend the phone to your individual liking. No manufacturer can produce a product that appeals perfectly to everyone who buys it. Enjoy the patches because Palm allows them to exist. If Palm wanted they could fire a take down order across PreCentral's and Preware's nose and they would comply. Palm knows the value of patches and allow them to exist and be distributed.

For some disclosure, I have patches installed. I have never installed a speed patch and get a fairly decent experience while using the phone. It is no where near as poor as you and the other *****ers make it seem.
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast