Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    Why doesn't WebOS use some of the 8GB as virtual RAM so that it don't have the "too many cards error"? Granted it'd be slower, but why not use what's in the phone instead of just giving up and giving us the finger (the one card salute)?
    today i opened up 57 cards before i got bored on my pre plus with the 720mhz patch.

taking into account the sprint pre has half as much memory, it would be safe to assume it could open at least 28 cards, and who needs that much?
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    While in theory you might be correct, on the Sprint Pre you can easily get it with less than 5 cards.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Mostly due to intensive apps like 3D games.
    With 800 mhz patch though, I haven't gotten it since.
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Unlike dynamic RAM, flash memory has a limited number of write cycles before it's lifetime is over. Feel free to Google for an explanation about why people building PC's using SSD drives are advised NOT to put their swap/page files onto flash drives.....
    on my sprint pre I opened 21 cards yesterday. About 19 more than I will ever need.
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by -Gamah View Post
    today i opened up 57 cards before i got bored on my pre plus with the 720mhz patch.

taking into account the sprint pre has half as much memory, it would be safe to assume it could open at least 28 cards, and who needs that much?

You know what they say about people who ASSUME don't you?

The RAM also has to contain the working operating system, which takes up the bulk of the RAM on the Pre. Enough is left over to run a few apps. The extra RAM in the Plus is available entirely for apps.
    sprint pre is 256 - 200 (operating system, not actual number) = 56mb left, so we max from 10-20 apps depending on what they are.

pre plus is 512 - 200 (os) = 312mb left, its not fair to assume we can get 1/2 as much lol I max at ~12 cards most of the time and with a 3d game I cant have more then 3-5 or if its a web browser it runs out of memory.

I think using the on board memory would be a nifty way to make the pre last the three months till the next device from palm. Or use it as an overflow for the browser and some other palm apps.

does anyone know the actual amount of ram is used by the os, Im guessing 200 cause when Im at 12 apps I show 52mb of ram used in Jstop?
    Life moves fast, don't miss a thing

not quite accurate because the sprint pre and the verizon pre have to use the same about of ram on system tasks. once you take that out of the equation, the pre plus has more than double the available ram...

Thats because Palm does not have the cards fully loaded anymore. If you did that with web-pages and tried to load them all up, so many of those 57 cards would be refreshing themselves, if not all of them.

you don't have 57 apps fully running in the background.

A better test would be to see how many times you can load up nationalgeographic.com and once you have opened up as many as it will let you. go from card 57 to 1, see if the website is there in all its glory, or if it is some stupid grayed out card that is about to refresh.