Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
  1. Hawse771's Avatar
    Posts
    63 Posts
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
       #1  
    I have been lurking for about a week (getting sick of the Nexus One wait on VZW) so am thinking about pulling the trigger on the Palm Pre Plus but want to make sure its a good phone for what I need (made a mistake with the Storm 1 and have been living with it since its' release).

    The main things I use on my storm (in no particular order of improtance)

    Bloomberg (I like to check on stocks throughout the day and it has news stories relative to both finance/politics etc) This app is pretty cool for being on the Storm suprisingly

    Sports (namely NBA and NFL) I like to be able to check on scores/standings for games since I'm at work when the games are on a lot.

    Email- I use a hotmail/gmail account that are pushed to my phone that are for both work/personal use

    YouTube app for entertainment (hopefully one that looks good like on the iPhone as the one for BB runs in mobile mode which makes the quality look like crap)

    Facebook (not to compare to iphone again but hopefully on par with theirs as suprise suprise the one for the Storm sucks, doesnt work right half the time, and is slow to refresh)

    Inet (I have no doubt in my mind the Palm Pre will blow my Storm out of the water on this part so no need to reassure me on this one lol)

    Weather (not worth mentioning really since all smartphones have decent weather apps available I believe)

    A good GPS related search app that finds nearby restaurants etc

    A decent Map program with GPS features (dont care about voice turn/turn navigation but a nice locator function etc

    Other than that I just do the typical phone stuff...SMS/Emails and lots of Calls. Will the Pre Plus do fine for these kind of Apps? My biggest let down with the Storm was the lack of quality apps and the ones that were quality didnt work right or the phone couldnt handle running them. I know all phones have bugs but I want to make sure I'm not stepping into another "get my phone and wait 12months for the software to catchup to the hardware" kind of scenario. Anyone who owned a Storm 1 will know what I'm talking about, and I'm hoping since the Pre Plus comes after the Pre already being out for a while this wont be a problem (looking for reassurance lol)

    Any thoughts on if I should make the jump or hold out for Nexus One? Droid is NOT an option (it's hideous and clunky), have heard the Eris is lacking power wise, and do not want a WinMo phone, gotta love VZW crappy selection lol
  2. Hawse771's Avatar
    Posts
    63 Posts
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
       #2  
    bump since my post was delayed for a while due to approval
  3. #3  
    all the stuff that u mentioned the pre can do. the only thing is if you plan to do all of that in one day continuously youll def have to bring your charger with with
  4. #4  
    YES!! The palm pre plus does every one of those things better than the storm, except maybe email, but blackberry is really known for that more than anything. But the gmail integration on the palm pre plus is great, and overall the email app works very well! For sports, I would've preferred if there was a nice espn app, but web browsing is much better on the pre, so it's better in that way!
  5. #5  
    Any thing you can do i can do better, I can do any thing better then you. no you cant, yes i can, no you cant...... sorry a little Bord lol
  6. Hawse771's Avatar
    Posts
    63 Posts
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
       #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by omeg12121293 View Post
    all the stuff that u mentioned the pre can do. the only thing is if you plan to do all of that in one day continuously youll def have to bring your charger with with
    well im definitely not worried about battery because i am in the car a lot and can charge while I drive and normally have a spare charger in the office. The Storm is horrible on battery too so im not scare about that. I just dont want to be let down like I was with the storm...fool me once shame on you kinda thing.

    I keep reading about facebook beta...is there not an official facebook app that works good?

    And I also assume since ATT is picking this phone up we can expect to see quite a few more apps by summer
  7. Hawse771's Avatar
    Posts
    63 Posts
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
       #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by kkumar99 View Post
    YES!! The palm pre plus does every one of those things better than the storm, except maybe email, but blackberry is really known for that more than anything. But the gmail integration on the palm pre plus is great, and overall the email app works very well! For sports, I would've preferred if there was a nice espn app, but web browsing is much better on the pre, so it's better in that way!
    The app I use on my Storm is called ScoreMobile, is there no sports apps for the Pre that pull scores from the inet (I assume thats how this one updates live scores as it always seems to be a little delayed behind NBA.com/ESPN.com)

    And aslong as it pushes emails to the phone I'm happy, I dont care if its 10 seconds after the email or a minute or two..doesnt have to be instant but dont want to have to keep checking my email like iphone users used to have to do
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by hawse771 View Post
    And aslong as it pushes emails to the phone I'm happy, I dont care if its 10 seconds after the email or a minute or two..doesnt have to be instant but dont want to have to keep checking my email like iphone users used to have to do
    GMail is push, Hotmail is not (interval checks, but you get a notification when new mail arrives)
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
  9. #9  
    The best way to determine if the Pre is good for you is to try it out for 30 days.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  10. ksumanth's Avatar
    Posts
    46 Posts
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    #10  
    If you dont have an issue with the battery life of the pre plus, u would b surprised how much you can do with your pre plus, and as always use your 30days return policy.
  11. Hawse771's Avatar
    Posts
    63 Posts
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
       #11  
    Good point on the 30days thing, if for some reason I dont like it I can just take the $35 restocking fee hit and swap it out. Or if for some reason the Nexus One lands and I really want it still. I think I'll give the phone a shot either next week or the following depending on how my bank account looks
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by hawse771 View Post
    Good point on the 30days thing, if for some reason I dont like it I can just take the $35 restocking fee hit and swap it out. Or if for some reason the Nexus One lands and I really want it still. I think I'll give the phone a shot either next week or the following depending on how my bank account looks
    There is a restocking fee? I thought the 30 day trial was exactly that. Try it for 30 days, and if you don't like it, you get all of you money back, including activation fee.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  13. Hawse771's Avatar
    Posts
    63 Posts
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
       #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    There is a restocking fee? I thought the 30 day trial was exactly that. Try it for 30 days, and if you don't like it, you get all of you money back, including activation fee.
    Thats for new customers only I believe, not someone already on VZW upgrading their phone with a NE2 etc. I believe (atleast it was like this back when I got my storm) anyone exchanging their phone pays a $35 restocking fee except brand new customers trying out the network who decide its a no go.
  14. #14  
    hmmm...yea, you should check that out. Actually, I should check that out for Sprint too. My upgrade is coming in a few months.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  15. #15  
    OP:

    You're on a Pre forum, what do you think people will say? For every unbiased and objective person, there will be 100 palm fan boys responding with biased answers. Truth of the matter is, you could ask this question on ANY smartphone forum (winMo, android, iphone, blackberry, symbian), and they'll all give you great responses about how X device and X app will work perfectly for what you want.

    IMHO, I would go with a Nexus One
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by bjb_nyj101 View Post
    OP:

    You're on a Pre forum, what do you think people will say? For every unbiased and objective person, there will be 100 palm fan boys responding with biased answers. Truth of the matter is, you could ask this question on ANY smartphone forum (winMo, android, iphone, blackberry, symbian), and they'll all give you great responses about how X device and X app will work perfectly for what you want.

    IMHO, I would go with a Nexus One
    And yours is unbiased, as you only talk about your personal preference, isn't it?
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    And yours is unbiased, as you only talk about your personal preference, isn't it?
    I think hes saying that this forum is biased...mostly cause its a palm pre forum
  18. Hawse771's Avatar
    Posts
    63 Posts
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
       #18  
    ofcourse it is biased that is pointless to bring up. Should I go to iphone forums to ask about a Pre Plus? I have two options gather information off here then make a decision or just run out and buy a phone based off of touching one in the store for a few minutes which is near useless. I have tried the second one and have paid the price with this pos I'm typing this on now. I have already waited a month to see if the nexus would drop on 3/23 and I will give them 1 more week. If not o well googles loss for poor marketing/information. And if
  19. #19  
    What better to ask how a Pre performs than to go into a Pre forum, if you read the posts in here there is actually more negativity in this forum than f a n boys. You can take my opinion and do what you want with it. I owned a BB Strom for 6 months, I was so unhappy with it I paid the ETF ($175 less 6 months x $5) and it was worth every penny. I have been with Sprint and my launch day Pre now for almost 10 months and love both and IMO, the Palm Pre is lightyears ahead of the BB Storm. Yeah, unfortunatley we have many Pre haters in here too, why they continue to hang out and post in here is puzzling but I guess it's whatever floats your boat.
  20. #20  
    Ive owned the Instink, a windows mobile HTC phone, an old Palm 700 something, and currently have an android phone. I can honestly say, hands down, the pre is the best phone I have owned to date. In fact. My new one (broke last one) will be here tomorro w and I cant wait. I love the phone and think you will to. However, im jumping ship once the EVO comes out. I prefer WebOS over Android, but I love the whole multimedia experience and think the EVO will deliver on all accounts. It doesnt mean I dont love my pre, it just means im giving Android another shot due to a great product. But honestly, I think you will be VERY happy coming from a blackberry to a pre. My question is this. Ive looked at the storms, and thought I wanted one due to what I saw on TV. Thought it was the "next" big thing. But after looking at them in the store, I quickly changed my mind as I thought the build quality was a joke when compared to other blackberry models. My wife owned a curve, and while I wasnt crazy about the operating system, I thought other than the trackball, the build was great. Not to mention, the blackberry storm touchscreen was simply horrible. Those clicky buttons were just rediculously cheap feeling. What made you purchase the storm. Did you not feel the same when you saw it? Just curious.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions