Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    http://www.androidcentral.com/oregon...droid-app-ctia

How much more time do you think Palm has to advertise their gaming abilities? Right now they are a solid #2 behind Apple, but what happens if Gameloft starts porting to Android, where does that leave WebOS?
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    the problem is that all the phones are using different verzions of the android platform. gameloft has had it easy with the pre, because there's only 1 device to make. with the droid and the nexus one, two different hardware types, and nexus one is using 2.1 as opposed to 2.0 used by the droid
  3.    #3  
    Yes, but most phones are updating to 2.1 and the top android phones are all assuming a fairly standard resolution.

EVO: 800x480
    N1: 800x480
    Droid: 854x480
    Galaxy S: 800x480

If the 800x480 resolution standard catches on, I think you are going to see a lot more apps being ported over, which is a bad thing for the Pre, especially if Glu and Gameloft start doing it. It means that Palm looses one of its major software advantages over android.

Google recently released their equivalent to the PDK (can't remember their acronym), and I remember thinking the same thing. Palm really, really needs to release the update to allow the wide distribution of PDK apps sooner rather than later. That's one of the things that Palm has done that's disappointed me the most: releasing the PDK beta without being ready to allow the distribution of PDK apps.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  5.    #5  
    It is the ANDK, Android Native Development Kit

I've mentioned this else where, but android can do 3D quite well, just no one has taken advantage of it yet. But it looks like Gameloft has taken some notice, which is what worries me for Palm's sake.

Some examples:
    ported from iPhone
    also on iPhone

The problem that gameloft is going to run into is storage space. The android phones dont store apps and games the same way the pre does. Our pres put the games into the internal harddrive so we have 8/16 gb to store games. The best android phone phone we know of (evo) only has 1gb of storage space for apps.
    Unless they have allowed apps to be put on the memory cards now? I know they couldnt before but i havent checked in a while
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by richardschris View Post
    The problem that gameloft is going to run into is storage space. The android phones dont store apps and games the same way the pre does. Our pres put the games into the internal harddrive so we have 8/16 gb to store games. The best android phone phone we know of (evo) only has 1gb of storage space for apps.
    Unless they have allowed apps to be put on the memory cards now? I know they couldnt before but i havent checked in a while
    Executables are stored on the phone ROM, but the extra data files are stored on the SD card.

for example: ExZeus Arcade for Android - Arcade & Action

In ExZeus, less than a MB is stored on the phone, but 57MB is on the SD card.

Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    Executables are stored on the phone ROM, but the extra data files are stored on the SD card.

so is that the same way it would work for 3d games like those that gameloft developes?
  9.    #9  
    I would assume.

hmmm thats interesting, thats worth looking into cuz if palm doesnt come out with a new device soon, i might have to get the evo, having the big 3d games just makes it that much more tempting
    Palm still has the tremendous advantage of how games run in their own cards and can be so easily paused and restarted. It's not as strong an advantage compared to Android as against iPhone, but it's still something Palm can talk about.

But, the longer devs have to wait before they can start releasing apps, the less compelling an advantage it becomes. Right now, I'm hoping it's the highest priority behind squashing bugs and designing the next hardware release.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by richardschris View Post
    hmmm thats interesting, thats worth looking into cuz if palm doesnt come out with a new device soon, i might have to get the evo, having the big 3d games just makes it that much more tempting
    That is sort of what I am saying right now. Android is catching up in the gaming front fast. I just did a check and Gameloft and Glu have some of their games on Android. I saw Uno, World Series of Poker, Asphalt 5, Guitar Hero 5 and what looked like a non-3d assassin's creed.

WebOS is losing its gaming advantage very fast. It is starting to look like WebOS's main selling point is going to be multitasking, which is a hard thing to sell and show off with in a 30s commercial.

13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Palm still has the tremendous advantage of how games run in their own cards and can be so easily paused and restarted. It's not as strong an advantage compared to Android as against iPhone, but it's still something Palm can talk about.

But, the longer devs have to wait before they can start releasing apps, the less compelling an advantage it becomes. Right now, I'm hoping it's the highest priority behind squashing bugs and designing the next hardware release.
    Good points. I am actually a little curious that if you switch away from an android game, does it pause? I am pretty sure it doesn't close. If any of you out there with a droid/n1/hero or something could let me (us) know I would appreciate it.

Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    heres an idea for a tv commercial: zoom into an asphat5 game, then show an email notification, then zoom out slowly to show the pre. Do a swipe to clear the notification. Put game to card view. Send an email. Then maximize game. Zoom back into game and resume play.

palm needs to show gaming abilities asap.

[url]

How much more time do you think Palm has to advertise their gaming abilities? Right now they are a solid #2 behind Apple, but what happens if Gameloft starts porting to Android, where does that leave WebOS?
    Good points. I am actually a little curious that if you switch away from an android game, does it pause? I am pretty sure it doesn't close. If any of you out there with a droid/n1/hero or something could let me (us) know I would appreciate it.
    I'm pretty sure that they can continue running in the background (paused or not, I don't know and would also like to hear). But, as with Android in general, it's not nearly as clean as webOS.

Incidentally, I disagree that webOS's only advantage is multitasking. Synergy remains a real strength, particularly across different systems. For example, Android still doesn't support Exchange calendars and tasks. And, I don't believe email integration is nearly as complete or as efficient. I know Gmail support on Android is better (naturally), but I also believe Gmail sucks eggs. Also, webOS notifications are so much better than Android's task tray or whatever it's called.

Really, I think that these core strengths remain viable to this day, and of course webOS really is so much more elegant. All of which can be demonstrated nicely in an ad (if Palm would just do it). But the gaming advantage that Palm has built is definitely eroding, and will do so quickly.
    Can anybody tell me why Gameloft games is FREE for the iphone but we have to pay for them? Will Android gameloft games be free or a price?
    --Marvin
  17.    #17  

The problem with this, that I've mentioned in another thread or two, is that when you download an app from the Marketplace, Google hosts it.

When you download a 3d game that is a small executable that downloads its data files to the SD card, the developer / publisher has to host those data files. Google will only host the part downloaded directly from the Marketplace.

This is going to be an issue for some smaller developers. EA / Gameloft or the large companies can afford this no problem, but a small developer might have trouble with this.
  19.    #19  
    That I did not know.

this is good for everyone. This will mean a lot of apps from the iphone will be on android and we are already getting some, so soon iphone wiill not be king anymore. If your wanting 3d gaming you'll have palm and android to consider. If games are being ported then apps will be too. Keep your fingers crossed that there not fart apps.

I posted this earlier. Android has gangster also.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GJ5StgR7R4&feature=youtube_gdata
    Last edited by THETRUTH; 03/27/2010 at 08:12 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast