Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I wonder if pulling data from an SD card would be a source of lag for android phones which would have to do that in order to run games without running out of memory. I heard that asphalt 5 runs good on droid but lags on nexus.
  2.    #22  
    Probably depends on the performance of the SD card. You probably want a high performance card that is design for camera use or something similar.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    the games are also smaller then webos versions. Asphalt is 6800kb on android.
    Quote Originally Posted by THETRUTH View Post
    the games are also smaller then webos versions. Asphalt is 6800kb on android.
    What about with all the data files included in that total? I assume it's putting those on the memory card.

It's not that I'd be surprised in a size difference, but a 205MB size difference would be crazy.
  5.    #25  
    I just looked and it looks like Asphalt was only released 9 days ago. Gameloft doesn't even list that they have Android games available yet. I think they are starting to port things over now.

Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Palm still has the tremendous advantage of how games run in their own cards and can be so easily paused and restarted. It's not as strong an advantage compared to Android as against iPhone, but it's still something Palm can talk about.

But, the longer devs have to wait before they can start releasing apps, the less compelling an advantage it becomes. Right now, I'm hoping it's the highest priority behind squashing bugs and designing the next hardware release.
    As I said before in a previous thread, now the paid app catalog has gone international, expect to see more apps there. The only stumbling block (apart from the PDK which has been sent out) was the lack of incentive due to having to release a paid app and a free app.

Gameloft have ported HAWX for webos and a few more games that I have been hearing about so I expect there to be plans in place after 31st March
    How does this belong in the Palm Pre forum, OP?
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    What about with all the data files included in that total? I assume it's putting those on the memory card.

It's not that I'd be surprised in a size difference, but a 205MB size difference would be crazy.
    that I'm not sure of. Your probably right because android has a weird way of making the install file small and then when installed it takes up more space. I think they will be allowing the use of the memory card once the 3d games become more widespread.
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by dcoaster View Post
    How does this belong in the Palm Pre forum, OP?
    The original post was stating that Android is catching up to the Pre in games. The question was, what does the Pre have to do to stay ahead of android and still be able to market itself. That sounds like it belongs in the Pre forum.

In order to accurately have that discussion, the facts about how android works and its comparison to the Pre have to be talked about.

I never started this thread to talk about android or EVO. But I do know that the Pre is the #2 gaming phone on the market right now, behind the iPhone. But from the news coming out of CTIA indicates that the Pre may be losing ground rapidly, as Gameloft appears to be porting games over to android now too.

Did anyone notice in that video for Oregon Trail on the droid, it seems like the Droids horizontal resolution is too high which results in a huge black bar on the right side of the screen. That's the problem with games for Android, different hardware specs makes it hard on developers to create an optimized version of a game for each available hardware configuration. It's easy for Pre and iPhone, as of now, they all have the same resolution, lets see what the next generation brings.
  11.    #31  
    I actually expect the iPhone to get a bigger screen this year along with 4G. I will be curious to see how they handle it. Maybe something like they did for the iPad transition. But in reality, game programmers have dealt with different screen resolutions for a long time. Just look at modern computer games.

Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    I actually expect the iPhone to get a bigger screen this year along with 4G. I will be curious to see how they handle it. Maybe something like they did for the iPad transition. But in reality, game programmers have dealt with different screen resolutions for a long time. Just look at modern computer games.
    True, but then you see videos like the one posted here, with a big black bar, maybe it's just because the Droid is using a bit of an oddball resolution compared to the more standard 800 x 480.
  13.    #33  
    That would be my guess as well. The EVO, N1, Galaxy S, and Incredible all use 800x480. I have a hunch that that resolution might become a standard for a few years. At least for high end devices, while more middling devices like the Hero and Legend stay at 320x480. Also like the Pre and current generations of iPhone.

I sure hope the next palm device has specs like the Evo....playing catch up won't get Palm more business.
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    I sure hope the next palm device has specs like the Evo....playing catch up won't get Palm more business.
    You mean Evo playing catch up with Samsung's new planned model. Lol.
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I'm pretty sure that they can continue running in the background (paused or not, I don't know and would also like to hear). But, as with Android in general, it's not nearly as clean as webOS.
    I did some posting over at android central, and here is the answer I got about Android multitasking games:

Quote Originally Posted by rufflez
    I just tried this on my hero with Speed Forge 3D. If I press the home button mid race and go back to it later, it restarts the race, but I dont have to wait for the game to load again. So, yeah, kinda. I only tried this game as its the only one I had on my phone at the time.
    My crossword auto saves, so I don't think i can use that one.
    Solitaire: almost finished a game, hit home, went online. I came back to it, game resumed exactly where it was and I won
    So yeah, i would guess its possible, it just depends on the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    I did some posting over at android central, and here is the answer I got about Android multitasking games:
    It all depends on how the developer develops the application/games. The same would hold true on WebOS if the developer didn't do what's necessary to save the game's current state when an application is thrown into card view.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12