Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 54
  1.    #1  
    Hey guys,

    When do you think would be the best time(max. sales) for the next Pre to hit stores?






    I know you guys probably want to say ASAP.. but from a business perspective, I think around September/October would probably be the best time.

    By then the hype over the EVO might wear down and an overhauled/refreshed ad campaign for the Pre 2 could hype it up for the holidays and start a fresh new fad trend(forget android/iphone).

    It also depends on when the next iPhone, windows 7 phones, etc will hit the stores. But I think Palm needs to completely differentiate the Pre 2 from the Pre in terms of the marketing style. It needs to aim for a clear target market.
  2. #2  
    The Pre 2 launch date?

    I think it would be best if they announce it the first day of June, then launch it the following week. Catch the EVO by surprise, get all the Pre launch people coming back
  3. derrythe's Avatar
    Posts
    67 Posts
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    #3  
    Well, considering that Sprint seems to set up premier plans to allow a one year upgrade on the first day of the month after you originally bought (my wife bought her phone last March and is eligible on April 1st). I think on or before July 1st would be a good day.
  4. iMando's Avatar
    Posts
    54 Posts
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    #4  
    Palm aren't going to launch the pre 2 in the summer. They currently have half a million pre's sitting on shelves that they need to sell thru. In addition they are not going to launch the Pre and Pixi on at&t the same month they are launching the Pre 2. The most sense comes in releasing the Pre 2 in October with the original Pre continuing to be sold at 49.99 and the pixi for free.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by iMando View Post
    Palm aren't going to launch the pre 2 in the summer. They currently have half a million pre's sitting on shelves that they need to sell thru. In addition they are not going to launch the Pre and Pixi on at&t the same month they are launching the Pre 2. The most sense comes in releasing the Pre 2 in October with the original Pre continuing to be sold at 49.99 and the pixi for free.
    I think this is close to correct. However, I don't think the new Pre will be on Sprint. Sprint has already said that the EVO will be their flagship, and I think they are going to milk it like AT&T milked the iPhone.

    However, I think Palm would be wise to release a new phone on VZW with LTE and be the first LTE phone for VZW.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  6. #6  
    the best to maximize sales would be may on ALL carries so people who got the first pre are automatically sprint premiere customers so they can upgrade in june and it would get the word out
  7. #7  
    yesterday.
    This signature for rent
  8. #8  
    I agree that an all carrier launch would be good, but I don't think it will happen. Besides Palm should be looking forward with their hardware. They need to differentiate themselves from the pack with both hardware and software. They are pretty good on software, but their hardware is far from desirable.

    They need to put out a sleek and sexy slab, with LTE (or WiMAX combo) so they can go to VZW and AT&T (both will be LTE carriers) and the guts of their phone have to be top notch. From the 800MHz patch, we can see that WebOS needs a bit of processor umpf behind it to flow. So nothing less than a 1GHz processor (dual core OMAP 4 would be my choice) 32GB of internal storage and 1GB of RAM.

    They also need a forward facing camera or they will start to fall behind. Both the Samsung Galaxy S and EVO have them, and I think it will become a standard for smart phones to allow for video chat. Good money says that the iPhone will have it too.

    The reason why I am choosing VZW for the Pre2 release partner is that when VZW wants to push a product they can do it, look at the droid. Also, Sprint has the EVO and AT&T has the iPhone. Why directly compete with either of those on their own networks. All the EVO and iPhone will do is steal sales from a Palm phone. As far as I know, there is no super charged smart phone being released on VZW outside of the N1, which won't be sold in stores, which means no sales person pushing them. If Palm comes out of the gates fast and gets full, and I mean FULL, VZW support with LTE, they should sell very well and get back into the game.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  9. #9  
    Sprint is likely the target carrier for any 4G hardware simply because they are the only carrier with a 4G network. Verizon has stated that 4G phones won't be arriving until 2011 and it seems AT&T is even further behind than that.

    That being said, I have no idea when Palm will do whatever it chooses to do. My opinion is that a slab should be the next form factor, but I have no idea where that fits in with the Plus twins arriving on AT&T and the hoped for Pre2, that is not merely a Pre Plus.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Kernel View Post
    Sprint is likely the target carrier for any 4G hardware simply because they are the only carrier with a 4G network. Verizon has stated that 4G phones won't be arriving until 2011 and it seems AT&T is even further behind than that.

    That being said, I have no idea when Palm will do whatever it chooses to do. My opinion is that a slab should be the next form factor, but I have no idea where that fits in with the Plus twins arriving on AT&T and the hoped for Pre2, that is not merely a Pre Plus.
    Yah know, a Pre Plus form factor (maybe manufactured by someone with better QC, to the extent that hardware returns have really been an issue) with an OMAP4, compass, 512MB RAM, 32GB storage, and camera with macro focus (to the extent that the software can't be tweaked on the current camera to allow macro) would be just fine with me.

    I really just don't want a slab format, or a huge Pre. Maybe a little bit bigger screen and keyboard would be okay, but I love the size and form factor of my Pre.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  11. #11  
    I would like a bigger screen if possible. Sometimes looking at a webpage on the Pre is hard. Even when you zoom into some text, it is still small.

    I would like a software keyboard too. It annoys me to slide out the keyboard to type one word. Also, I can't type any faster than one word every 5-10 seconds one handed on the pre.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    I agree that an all carrier launch would be good, but I don't think it will happen. Besides Palm should be looking forward with their hardware. They need to differentiate themselves from the pack with both hardware and software. They are pretty good on software, but their hardware is far from desirable.

    They need to put out a sleek and sexy slab, with LTE (or WiMAX combo) so they can go to VZW and AT&T (both will be LTE carriers) and the guts of their phone have to be top notch. From the 800MHz patch, we can see that WebOS needs a bit of processor umpf behind it to flow. So nothing less than a 1GHz processor (dual core OMAP 4 would be my choice) 32GB of internal storage and 1GB of RAM.

    They also need a forward facing camera or they will start to fall behind. Both the Samsung Galaxy S and EVO have them, and I think it will become a standard for smart phones to allow for video chat. Good money says that the iPhone will have it too.

    The reason why I am choosing VZW for the Pre2 release partner is that when VZW wants to push a product they can do it, look at the droid. Also, Sprint has the EVO and AT&T has the iPhone. Why directly compete with either of those on their own networks. All the EVO and iPhone will do is steal sales from a Palm phone. As far as I know, there is no super charged smart phone being released on VZW outside of the N1, which won't be sold in stores, which means no sales person pushing them. If Palm comes out of the gates fast and gets full, and I mean FULL, VZW support with LTE, they should sell very well and get back into the game.
    I agree completely with everything. But i'm no so sure about the slab part. I don't think palm will diverge that far from the current form factor of the pre and I don't think they have the resources nor the time to do it at this point either.

    I do think the Pre2 will go to Verizon without a doubt. Why compete with EVO or iPhone? The Sprint/Palm marketing combo didn't turn out so well. Unfortunately for me though, because I'm a Sprint user. But hopefully I can get the Pre2 Plus!

    I really think that at this point WebOs can sell itself and the specs need to be improved some. But I believe that people just don't like the pre's appearance/hardware. It doesn't command attention which also makes it harder to market. It just comes off to me as a soft, cuddly kind of phone. Even the name is kind of weak, Pre. Slab devices exude strength and power. Also being a small phone doesn't help much either. I think they were trying to jump on the "going green" type of theme by making a softer phone but I think they missed with that. It seems Americans want a big showy, flashy, and sexy device to show off. I think palm needs to make the Pre be a phone that will command attention not fade into the background.
  13. #13  
    Palm needs to do a slab. As you said they exude power and frankly, that is what people are buying these days. Palm doesn't have the time or money to risk on a form factor that isn't proven.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  14. #14  
    My previous phone had a VK and I did not like, that is what first attracted me to the Palm Pre. I type really fast on the Pre keyboard, much faster than a VK. If the next Palm that comes out is a slab I will most likey go with it, that's how much I love webOS.
  15. #15  
    they need to talk to texas instruments, and get permission to use, or make the, or something like the 800mhz patch.. Then they will be able to sell more pre's,since it makes the os way snapier.. Battery life might get a bit worse, but better to have one con that any consumer can fix by simply getting a spare battery, then to have 2 cons, where one is un-fixable for the eaverage joe...
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    Palm needs to do a slab. As you said they exude power and frankly, that is what people are buying these days. Palm doesn't have the time or money to risk on a form factor that isn't proven.
    Yeah that is true. That is what people are buying these days. But they also need to do it well. I'm not so sure they will want to experiment with a slab right now as their last hope phone. They also seem reluctant to do so. But hopefully if they can pull it off and pull it off well, they can rake in some sales. With a slab they might be able to juice up their specs and make it more attractive.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    they need to talk to texas instruments, and get permission to use, or make the, or something like the 800mhz patch.. Then they will be able to sell more pre's,since it makes the os way snapier.. Battery life might get a bit worse, but better to have one con that any consumer can fix by simply getting a spare battery, then to have 2 cons, where one is un-fixable for the eaverage joe...
    Or melt the CPU.

    What Palm needs to do is go talk to HTC and work out a deal to have HTC build them a sexy phone with hardware that will generate the same buzz as the EVO. Give it to VZW, and then sell a Sprint and VZW version unlocked on their Website, like google.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  18. #18  
    sept/october seems good, I agree. June/july will have the new iPhone, so that's 100% off (that's, imo, big reason the Pre's not been a rock star seller for Palm) and who knows what that'll have, August will have the inevitable 4.1 update to fix the 4.0 bugs (i'm guessing, because that happened with 2.0 and 3.0, and apple's pretty habitual) so sept/oct. will be perfect for Palm to get some much-needed positive press. Plus, it's just in time for the holidays, so why not?
    Side note: It has to be a BEAST. Thin, super-fast (SnapDragon...), and have great build quality. It's gotta out-do the next iPhone and whatever hot new Android phone comes out. 4G isn't a necessity though. And, of course, it CAN'T be a sprint exclusive. No way in hell. Maybe a VZW and Sprint launch, but no sprint exclusivity, for the love of god Palm.
  19.    #19  
    I also think that when they announce the new device. It shouldn't take them more than 2-3 months to get them into stores. We need strong and positive momentum to push sales!

    Hopefully within the next 2 months we'll get trickles of rumor info and then the press release before the EVO launches. Then Sept/Oct all should be clear for a marketing onslaught.
  20. #20  
    Last January.

    If it meant me being with an old model then so be it but Palm decided to launch just a slightly different Palm Pre. If it would have been a completely new device, then I bet Verizon would have done a lot more to advertise it.

    Verizon probably feels like "Palm you decided to exclusively launch the hottest new phone with Sprint ..so we went with the Droid to compete with Sprint..now look at you"

    PALM!!! announce your new handset already!!

    In the words of Mr.Crabs "Time is money boy. And if youre wasting time then youre wasting money! ..and thats just silly."
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions