Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. mk3
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sirwhistle View Post
    i think if palm doesnt come out with something new by june 6 that everyone in their right mind will be picking up a EVO...............nough said
    This reminds me of the all the people claiming iPhone users would drop their iPhones once the 1 year plan was up. Almost every single person I now who has one still does. Even a few others who dropped their Blackberry's to go with iPhones.

I doubt there will be overwhelming numbers of Pre owners who leave.
    Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA

"Abracadabra Holmes"
    -Cal Naughton, Jr.
    Hey everyone. I'm from Canada. We do not even have the Pre+ and you guys need a 3nd phone. Lol.

Sprint will get the next phone for sure. It just will be a one month exclusive though. IMHO
    as to when. Sept sounds good so canada can get it before christmas.
    Just playing devil's advocate...

Why is there such a push for the next device? It's not like Palm hasn't released 4 new devices in 8 months, not to mention all the software releases, many of which accomplished what other companies wouldn't have done without a new hardware release, plus releasing across multiple carriers in multiple countries.

By the iPhone 4th generation, Apple will only have released 4 phones in 4 years, on one carrier (jailbreaking does not count).

Android phones are a different animal... They are not like Apple and Palm which offer proprietary hardware and software. You can't realistically look at every manufacturer who has released an Android phone and say, "Palm, step it up! Make more new devices! These multiple manufacturers are passing you by!" It's not their model and they don't have the resources. Plus, despite the coming Evo, no higher spec devices (i.e., Nexus 1, Hero, Moment) have proved to be that good a performer that their sheer capability has given them market share. It's the proliferation of the Android OS by different manufacturers, with different products, through different carriers that has been it's strength. It's the MicroSoft model.

And none of those manufacturers has produced more than 4 new products in 8 months either.

Just sayn'
    Last edited by pelikan3; 04/11/2010 at 10:13 AM.
    Palm has only released two phones, each with two "variations." That does not constitute four different phones. The Pixi barely counts anyway because it has not been very successful at all. Just take a peek at the Pixi forum to get an idea of how busy it is compared to the Pre forum. The first page goes back an entire week because it's practically a dead forum.

Quote Originally Posted by mk3
    This reminds me of the all the people claiming iPhone users would drop their iPhones once the 1 year plan was up. Almost every single person I now who has one still does. Even a few others who dropped their Blackberry's to go with iPhones.
    Not many people dropped the iPhone because there wasn't (and still isn't) a "better" phone to go to. There hasn't been a single phone that has come anywhere close to the iPhone in terms of mindshare.

The EVO is by far the better phone, hands down. The only question is whether the OS (Android) is a show-stopper. There are plenty of people here loyal to Plam/webOS, but there are also a lot of chronic early adopters who will jump to the EVO in a heartbeat if Palm can't come out with something that at least gives HTC a run for their money.
    Treo 300 > Hitachi G1000 > PPC-6700 > PPC-6800 (Mogul) > PPC-6850 (Touch Pro) > Palm Pre & HTC EVO Optimus V
    Quote Originally Posted by dallashigh View Post
    The EVO is by far the better phone, hands down. The only question is whether the OS (Android) is a show-stopper.
    You have to judge a smartphone by its combination of hardware, software, and support. The Evo has nice hardware, that's for sure, but that's not what determines whether or not it's the "better" device.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    You have to judge a smartphone by its combination of hardware, software, and support. The Evo has nice hardware, that's for sure, but that's not what determines whether or not it's the "better" device.
    +1

Unless Palm wows me with something, I am 95% sure I am going to give the EVO a 30 day test. I don't have enough experience using Android, let alone Android 2.1 + Sense UI, to make a full call on the "show-stopper-ness" of the OS.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    "Slab devices exude strength and power."

lol what?

Anyway, I just hope that Palm and Sprint show a little love to those of us who lined up on day 1 to get the Pre when it was released, and give us an updated Pre when we're eligible for our 1 year upgrade.

Expandable memory (or at least 32 GB internal), a couple more megs of resolution on the camera are needed. A slight increase in screen size might be nice too. Also continued WebOS upgrades (especially calendar and Personal Information Management stuff), and more apps (ability to edit Word documents, for eg.)

Come on, Palm! You can do it!
    hopefully never
    Quote Originally Posted by poplarparkfilms View Post
    hopefully never
    Seriously go find something else to do besides troll
    Quote Originally Posted by dallashigh View Post
    Palm has only released two phones, each with two "variations." That does not constitute four different phones. The Pixi barely counts anyway because it has not been very successful at all. Just take a peek at the Pixi forum to get an idea of how busy it is compared to the Pre forum. The first page goes back an entire week because it's practically a dead forum.
    can't come out with something that at least gives HTC a run for their money.
    iPhone went up in memory and performance and added functionality over three years and three phones, but, by your description, it's really not 3 different phones, it's 3 variations. That Palm pushed some of the functionality down that Apple needed new hardware for is a different story.

You can't rate the success of the Pixi by the forum. Most Pixi users I know, my very non-technical dad included, have very little to complain about. It's a pretty solid performer, and most of us are here to complain about, or look for a fix for something.

I'm not arguing success or failure. I AM arguing that, compared to what other companies have released, Palm has released 4 phones and numerous software updates. Stick by them, or jump ship, it's up to you. But, don't expect them to release a new phone by summer.

As for the Evo... The Nexus 1, Hero and Moment are all high fire-power phones, and none of them has set the world on fire and become the "IT" phone for Android, and the Pre has beat them hands down in polls (depending upon who you ask). So, without seeming like a FAN BOY, which I'm not, I DO have my doubts that the Evo is going to finally represent the second coming of the Android Messiah. If it proves that impressive, AND it has multi-tasking like the Pre, I might consider it myself. But, right now, I don't think I like the form factor. It's a little too much like a big, square, iPhone for my tastes. If I DO try it, though, it will be on its own merits, not because Palm hasn't come out with a 5th phone in 1 year.
    this is a very interesting topic, I want to know more on what everyone thinks.

I'm also very glad there are no flames lets keep it that way
    Treo 700wx > Treo 755p > Treo 800w > IPhone 3g > Treo Pro > Palm Pre
    The only thing I'd bet on at this point is that the "Pre 2" won't be named anything similar to "Pre" to try and distance themselves from the quality issues (some real, some only perceived) that they had with the Pre / Pre Plus.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    A phone is just a phone... a piece of plastic and metal with a cellular radio, microphone and speaker. Comparing the "bare metal", the Pre can't even come close to the EVO. The point I was trying to make is that if Palm wants to keep the people who are not "loyal" to webOS (and there are plenty such people), they better get some hardware that can compete with the EVO.

As for support, I trust HTC a heck of a lot more than I do Palm in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3
    iPhone went up in memory and performance and added functionality over three years and three phones, but, by your description, it's really not 3 different phones, it's 3 variations.
    I'm sure a lot more dev time went into developing the iPhone 3G vs. the Pre Plus and Pixi Plus combined. Whether going from 2G to 3G makes it a different phone, that's your personal opinion. I consider that a big enough upgrade to market it as a different device. And the 3GS was a major overhaul. Just because it looks the same on the outside doesn't mean squat.
    Treo 300 > Hitachi G1000 > PPC-6700 > PPC-6800 (Mogul) > PPC-6850 (Touch Pro) > Palm Pre & HTC EVO Optimus V
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123