1.    #1  
    I have a "release date" Pre Plus (Verizon) with an increasingly worse problem of "double typing" of letters. To be honest, I'm actually getting "triple letters" and more.

I have 3 questions:

1. Because I purchased "online" from Verizon on the release date, I'm assuming I don't qualify under the 30 day return policy. Is Verizon facilitating returns for issues like this? In other words, do I go to Verizon for a exchange or do I contact Palm?

2. I'm running Classic as well as some 1-2 patches; do I just do a "backup" & then sync my new phone? Is there anything special I should do before the exchange/return?

3. If I have to go thru Palm, I can't go without my phone i.e. send it back to get a new one, can I keep the defective one until I receive the new one?

Thanx for your help in advance!
    1. With sprint you can just take it to the sprint store and they exchange it out...ideally verizon would do the same.

2. I would do a backup and remove all patches before taking it in, just in case vz tries to say that the patches invalidate the warranty

3. Hopefully you don't have to do this, but you should talk to palm directly for that.
    I keep reading here on the forums that the keyboard problem is a software issue. Since you're already after the 30 day period I would probably wait until the next update and see if it gets fixed. Other than that you are covered under a 1 year manuf. warranty. You can either call Verizon and talk to them about it and they'll send you another phone or go to the store.

Btw since it's after the 30 day they'll probably give you a refurb unit.
    Yeah, I honestly think it's a problem with the 1.4 update. I have a Bell release date Pre and after 1.4 I have the problem.

I'm just waiting for the 1.4.1 update. The good news, its a software problem that can be fixed.
    The customer service (611) at VZ said he is sending a replacement (without my asking) so I said ok. Its on its way on FedEx .I too want to know what I need to do before sending my phone back, do i Doctor it?

And how do I save my data? Do I even need to? Coz I believe its all synced to my palm Profile....is it safe to make a back up of some sort? How do I make a back up?
    The only data that is not synced is notes and memos. The rest is fine. And it's easy to erase your phone. I'm sure there's a tutorial here at Precentral somewhere.

When you get the new phone, try using it before it updates to 1.4. If it doesn't have the issue, then it's software. If the new phone has the issue, I'd wait for the 1.4.1 update.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vociferous View Post
    The only data that is not synced is notes and memos. The rest is fine. And it's easy to erase your phone. I'm sure there's a tutorial here at Precentral somewhere.

When you get the new phone, try using it before it updates to 1.4. If it doesn't have the issue, then it's software. If the new phone has the issue, I'd wait for the 1.4.1 update.
    true, will do that. But I had the problems before and after 1.4...so it might be a hardware problem for me.....I thnk on Pre Plus's have had this problem...thus I thik its hardware...
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Memos are synced with your Palm Backup.
    your photos and music are also not synced. You will need to copy and paste those from USB mode to your PC and then you can copy them back to your new phone.
  10.    #10  
    Thanx for your responses..I did have the double typing issue before the update, but it has become increasingly worse in the last 2 weeks. The decline did not occur immediately after the update but about 10 days later...(can't remember but did not see any difference for some time)...

Again, thank you so much, plan to contact Verizon & then move on to Palm if need be...
    I had keyboard stuttering too. And a few other problems. Verizon was very understanding. They exchanged my Pre Plus for Pre Plus number 2; however, the Palm online backup site lost ALL of my data in the exchange, and I did not ever get it back - this was NOT a trivial problem. However, the keyboard stuttering was gone; but by then I was so angry at the loss of my data that I went for a Motorola Droid, which I found was NOT clearly superior to the Pre Plus: it is not even superior to the Palm Treo 650, which I originally had for three years. I have spent a month with the two Palm Pre Pluses; and another three weeks with the Motorola Droid. The travails of this experience are too involved to put here: please see my comparison table at mymotodroid dot com
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by classicpenny View Post
    I had keyboard stuttering too. And a few other problems. Verizon was very understanding. They exchanged my Pre Plus for Pre Plus number 2; however, the Palm online backup site lost ALL of my data in the exchange, and I did not ever get it back - this was NOT a trivial problem. However, the keyboard stuttering was gone; but by then I was so angry at the loss of my data that I went for a Motorola Droid, which I found was NOT clearly superior to the Pre Plus: it is not even superior to the Palm Treo 650, which I originally had for three years. I have spent a month with the two Palm Pre Pluses; and another three weeks with the Motorola Droid. The travails of this experience are too involved to put here: please see my comparison table at mymotodroid dot com
    That's why I don't believe in the "cloud". I'll take the responsibility for screwing up my own data.
    I'm betting it's a software problem and am going to wait until the next update. If that doesn't fix it, I'll get a replacement.
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    I just returned my PrePlus that had the typing problem. The replacement doesn't have a typing problem, but the slider is loose and the speaker is louder. Wish I could get one with the best of.... Both Pre's were running 1.4
    I just returned my Pre Plus purchased around 2/5. The refurb doesn't have the typing problem. Shipped with 1.3.5.1 installed. All my apps and data transferred over nice and easy! I'm impressed to say the least.
  16.    #16  
    Should have posted a f/u...about a day or so after I started this thread, my Pre froze up & could not be fixed by the local V. store. (tried all recommendations on this site to "unfreeze" it, no resolution). Recv'd a refurb in the mail...works GREAT!!! No double typing!!! I know this has be a great debate re: software vs. hardware...but all I can say is the new/refurb phone from Palm (came directly from Palm NOT Verizon) does not have the problem...
    I found that if I press the keys firmly, I have fewer repeated letters.
    Keyboard is definitely a hardware problem. Software may contribute to very minor keyboard issues but I think majority of the keyboard problems are caused by hardware. I had 2 Pre Pluses on Verizon (both brand new) and first one had hard, clicky keys and was doubling, missing letters like crazy. Second one had a soft nearly inaudible keyboard and it worked quite well. No doubles/no misses. I suggest going to a Verizon store and requesting an "advanced exchange". They would either give you a refurb immediately (if they have one in store) or order one from their warehouse while you still keep your phone and wait. (This process takes about a day or two on Sprint)