Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I know I can't be the only one who dosent think that a slate device is the end-all be-all of form factors. With all the non information about C40 out there, soo many people seem to be hoping it's a larger screen, slate device.

I couldn't disagree more. I Love the pre formfactor. The size, pocketability,and hardware keyboard is the way to go. Th only way I would accept a larger screen is if it didn't increase the pre's size too much. Maybe like a 3.4 or something. And please palm, keep the vertical keyboard design.

Can you imagine all the ways webOS would be hurt by only a software keyboard? The entire 'just start typing' mentality would be lost. Anyone who insists on organizing multiple launcher pages has never appreciated the simplicity of the 'type em and email magically appears'
    honestly, how many of you open your contacts app very often? I just type initials, hit the contact, and i'm on the call before an iphone user could have even started scrolling.

Long live WebOS
    You're not the only one, I promise. I too would miss the physical keyboard, to an almost pathetic degree. My boyfriend, who will be freaking out once he finally has the Evo, cannot understand why I don't want it. It's a nice phone, but no keyboard, no Web OS, it's a brick for a phone...

I love my pre. I wouldn't like a horizontal slider either, per se, but if that's what it takes to keep the tactile keyboard, well, I'll do it.
    A slate is popular these days. But noone is saying dump the Pre form factor or quit updating it. I think i'd still buy an updated Pre over a palm slate.

Why screw with the Pre's size? Make a separate slate device.
    I think that a physical keyboard it essential, as this is a key form factor differentiator, however, if the masses want slim and trim, this is a difficult compromise, and with not enough $cash$ to make 2 devices, they may sacrifice this (in my opinion essential) feature to try and make the most sales!!But on the other hand, the market is FLOODED with slim HTC's running android without a physical keyboard, so maybe it needs to stay to maintain differentiation over the OS level?
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I also like the form factor and hope for some kind of evolution of design rather than a complete redesign.

it would be nice for there to be noticeable similarities in design to let you know all the phones are part of the same family.

imo a 3.7 inch screen would be the next step but then it probably ends up being too big for a vertical slider... And palm has never done a horizontal keyboard.

I don't know, but heres hoping its something good. We all know palm needs it to be.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    I'd like to see a variation of the Pre with intended oreo that twists the keyboard to either portrait/landscape mode relative to screen. It would of course need a very solid snap to it. Someone should mock this up.

Would like to see the current-sized Pre upgraded to this as well as a larger screen that has this with more power user features like WiMAX, dual core OMAP, larger battery, etc. I'd pay $400 for a power user phone.
    xorg tools - power tools for power users
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    A slate is popular these days. But noone is saying dump the Pre form factor or quit updating it. I think i'd still buy an updated Pre over a palm slate.

Why screw with the Pre's size? Make a separate slate device.
    This. I say make a third slate device just to shut up the people who keep clamoring for one. But make it so much more different than the tons of Iphone clone wannabes. Every slate coming out, even the EVO looks just like one another, excluding Apple.

But I think that Palm should also continue the Pixi and Pre lines by evolving them. Give the next gen Pixi a 3.1 inch screen and more power. Give the next gen Pre Plus a 3.5 to 3.7 inch screen and more power.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Slate devices are not the end-all, be-all. In fact, the Pre's orientation is the best of all worlds...as you can use it as just a slate (given that you had a Virtual Keyboard) to please those who want to keep up with the iPhone.

One issue no one has really thought about is the development aspect...if we go to a higher resolution, game developers will have to re-develop and maintain 3 resolutions (Pre, Pixi, and future webOS device). I know the architecture of webOS is HTML, which is scalable, but its my understanding that most PDK games have the resolution hard-encoded. I guess if the next device is compelling enough to increase webOS' marketshare, then the developers will oblige.
  9.    #9  
    not nessesarily a different resolution, just larger screen
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JaMart View Post
    I know I can't be the only one who dosent think that a slate device is the end-all be-all of form factors. With all the non information about C40 out there, soo many people seem to be hoping it's a larger screen, slate device.

I couldn't disagree more. I Love the pre formfactor. The size, pocketability,and hardware keyboard is the way to go. Th only way I would accept a larger screen is if it didn't increase the pre's size too much. Maybe like a 3.4 or something. And please palm, keep the vertical keyboard design.

Can you imagine all the ways webOS would be hurt by only a software keyboard? The entire 'just start typing' mentality would be lost. Anyone who insists on organizing multiple launcher pages has never appreciated the simplicity of the 'type em and email magically appears'
    honestly, how many of you open your contacts app very often? I just type initials, hit the contact, and i'm on the call before an iphone user could have even started scrolling.

Long live WebOS
    1 Million % Agree... they could easily bump the size up to about a 1/4" more or less and fit a 3.5 - 3.7" screen and I would be so happy and also make the 'board a bit bigger... nothing much though...

The Shape and form factor for the Pre is what distinguishes them from all the damn boring Slates out there...

If they do well enough to have a Slate in their arsenal to make some people happy...fine ....but they must keep a Pre form factor forever...IMO
    Last edited by mrkalel; 03/27/2010 at 01:43 PM.
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I know I can't be the only one who dosent think that a slate device is the end-all be-all of form factors.
    Does anyone? It's a bit of a strawman to suggest that's a position of anyone but a tiny majority. What people are actually saying is that to compete in this marketplace that palm needs to release WebOS on devices that appeal to different segments of the market - many people want a slate device or similar and at the moment Palm is unable to access this rather large group of people.

Palm can carry on down (and might be forced to because they have no choice) the road of always having physical keyboards but it's going to limit their growth.
    not nessesarily a different resolution, just larger screen
    Just increasing the size of the screen will not do well for the quality of the screen. It wont be as sharp as the rest of the screens now on the market. If you go above 3.5", then you should have a higher resolution screen.
    It's funny, just yesterday I was looking at the Driod (can't remember what it's called here in Canada) and I thought the interface was slick, I'm sure the google apps work great, but... it's a freaking huge sharp slab o metal. It's just not for me.

I used to not care about form factor. I did the whole big phone thing years ago and there's no WAY I'm going back. This morning I took my daughters to ballet and I'm taking video, and I send off an email, and then I slip the phone into my front pants pocket and I sit down. There's no way the Droid is going to a) slip into my pocket, b) if I sit down, it's gonna cut a hole in my pants.

You're not alone!!!!! I don't give a crap what the tech pundits say. The Pre is smooth as a skipping stone. It feels incredible in the hand. It's small enough to rest lengthwise in my pocket. When I hold it to my head, it's smooth and curved, I love it.

Thanks for starting this thread!!! Just this morning I was thinking, 'How is this phone not awesome?!' I soooo wanted to talk about it. Now I got it off my chest. Wheeew. It's hard keeping it all bottled up inside.

Now, that being said, I think Palm MUST come out with a larger phone. It's what the market wants. And that's fine. But you'll have to take my Pre out of my CDHs. (or Cold Dead Hands, my new acronym)

Good post.

It's odd to see the disconnect between myth and reality out there in the marketplace. In discussing form factor with people they naturally gravitate toward a horizontal keyboard as found on the typical Android device. When I ask them if they have used a horizontal keyboard they usually say "no" but they like the look of it. Only after they actually try to use one do they understand that the horizontal keyboard is the worst of all worlds:

1. It's too small to use both hands.
    2. It's too large too use just thumbs as with a vertical keyboard.
    3. Landscape mode is less than ideal for maximizing screen space (and a virtual keyboard only makes this situation worse).

It's a strange phenomena that people continue to use this layout even with all its limitations and have this natural preference for it when they start shopping for a phone.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    I agree 100%!!! I LOVE the portrait slider and have/can live with a little oreo effect NO PROBLEM.

Long live WebOS
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    I love the layout of the Pre. I just want a more rugged version. I know many cases exist but I want something that can go caseless and survive. All of my Treos and Centro have skidded at least 5 feet across pavement in their life. The build quality and recessed screen kept the damage to a minimum. I fear for the life of my Pre's screen. Hit something once and it's toast. A lot of other smartphones can take a beating, I want a Pre that can too.

- Phil -
    You know, you CAN have both... Landscape slider with a slight curved motion, a much larger screen, and on screen software keyboards in both directions.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    I don't play 3d games as much because of the small screen size.
    I'd rather get a larger screen size tbh.
    i'd take the pixi form with the pre screen size and guts...the thinness would be great and I wouldn't mind the extra length...
    Quote Originally Posted by foosball View Post
    Good post.

It's odd to see the disconnect between myth and reality out there in the marketplace. In discussing form factor with people they naturally gravitate toward a horizontal keyboard as found on the typical Android device. When I ask them if they have used a horizontal keyboard they usually say "no" but they like the look of it. Only after they actually try to use one do they understand that the horizontal keyboard is the worst of all worlds:

1. It's too small to use both hands.
    2. It's too large too use just thumbs as with a vertical keyboard.
    3. Landscape mode is less than ideal for maximizing screen space (and a virtual keyboard only makes this situation worse).

It's a strange phenomena that people continue to use this layout even with all its limitations and have this natural preference for it when they start shopping for a phone.
    GREAT post!

The iPhone told the world that they didnt need a hardware keyboard, and now the Pre told the world that the vertical hardware keyboard is better.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast