Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by torourke View Post
    i'd take the pixi form with the pre screen size and guts...the thinness would be great and I wouldn't mind the extra length...
    So basically you're phone would be about the same size as the Pre when it's keyboard is open?
    THIS IS HOW WE HANDLE BUSINESS
    The only thing I would like changed on the Pre is if it were a tad thinner and longer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen00 View Post
    The only thing I would like changed on the Pre is if it were a tad thinner and longer.
    Thinner...? Maybe if they went to a SuperAMOLED screen and increase the length a tad so they can spread things out in there.
    Quote Originally Posted by glassadam View Post
    So basically you're phone would be about the same size as the Pre when it's keyboard is open?
    exactly, but as thin as the pixi...
    Keyboard would be significantly better were it a landscape slider a la nokia's n900. Otherwise I have no real complaints.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ****-richardson View Post
    Keyboard would be significantly better were it a landscape slider a la nokia's n900. Otherwise I have no real complaints.
    Why would it be better?

As others have already said it would probably feel too wide to type fast with the thumbs.
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
    horizontal also gets in the way of the "just start typing" feature of webOS.
    I don't know about the economics of supporting a 3rd and 4th device, but if Palm can manage the juggling act I think they should.

After reading all the comments in the various threads I think a webOS slab is more appropriate than a landscape QWERTY for Palm's next device. It allows it to be thin and large to attract that segment of the market. A Landscape QWERTY might split sales with the Pre to the point that one device would need to go. Maybe in a couple years, but not now.
    Isn't this kinda all a moot point?

However much you love or hate the Pre and Pixi form factors as is, they clearly are the main culprit for the hundreds and hundreds of thousands of unsold stock sitting around gathering dust. Simply refreshing the devices with updated materials and capacity hasn't worked either.

So either Palm significantly changes the WebOS hardware form factors, or the sales continue to diminish each quarter until they are done.

You want Palm and WebOS to continue? Look past what you personally want.
    mikah: just curious, is this your first Palm handheld?

Palm's flagship is in it's form factor. Try profit from one-handedness.

they could improve build quality and making a larger screen, but I don't see them stepping away from one-handed candybar style.

I wouldn't have it no other way, personally
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    GREAT post!

The iPhone told the world that they didn't need a hardware keyboard, and now the Pre told the world that the vertical hardware keyboard is better.
    I agree!
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I love this phone the way it is. My pre is awesome and I really don't care for bricks...
    I feel the same way! I love the form factor!! With my TX, this is EXACTLY what I wanted. I wouldn't oppose a slightly larger screen, but I don't want a slate, I don't want to lose my physical keyboard and I don't like horizontal physical keyboards. When I look at my Pre+, it makes me feel that Palm was listening to the folks over at BH when they were "designing" the 'TX2'...as far as form factor that is.
    In love with my launch day Pre Plus! Here are my impressions thus far.
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    mikah: just curious, is this your first Palm handheld?

Palm's flagship is in it's form factor. Try profit from one-handedness.

they could improve build quality and making a larger screen, but I don't see them stepping away from one-handed candybar style.

I wouldn't have it no other way, personally
    Had a Centro prior. Been here since 2007.

Palm has plenty of "legacy trademarks" besides the vertical hardware QWERTY form factor. PIM apps. A huge app catalog. Resistive screens. Styli....oh wait. They didn't carry any of those into this generation either.

I just don't understand people who say they love WebOS, but don't want Palm to alter their currently disastrous course when it comes to design. It's not just build quality. When you have a quarter when less than half of your products shipped sell, it's fair to say that people are having a fairly visceral and immediate reaction that is repelling them. Since everyone lauds WebOS, the hardware is the only remaining culprit.

Sure, Rubinstein keeps saying they haven't "trained" sales reps enough, but he said that last quarter, and it only got worse. So either that's BS or Palm's incapable of fixing the problem...same result.

What CAN they control? The design of their devices. To what extent resources will allow for that...I'm not sure. But assuming and speaking hypothetically...if Palm has one last bullet in the chamber, their next product and design needs to be as far from the failure-tinged stigma of the Pre and Pixi as possible.

"Just" making the screen a bit larger and the build "better" is a non-starter. You need an immediate statement that you are taking things to the next level. When HTC built the next-gen 4G "superphone" for Sprint, they didn't simply throw a 4G radio in the successful Hero device and increase the screen size some. They didn't even simply just stick Android and a 4G radio in a HD2. They upped as many specs as possible and overdid it. You see an Evo, and you immediately get the sense that this is something special.

Now, ostensibly, people would get the same sensation when using WebOS. But for them to get to that point, you have to have the amazing hardware creating a lustful first impression to entice them to pick up the device. Just my opinion. People can keep talking about how they dislike bricks and such, but they should dislike Palm ceasing to exist moreso. The window for WebOS to truly gain a foothold isn't infinite. Palm isn't going to keep getting chances for do-overs with Apple, Google, RIM, Nokia and Microsoft all gunning for the same real estate with a lot more room for error than Palm has.
    No slates, please. Enough of those. Maybe build one of those can't live with one, but don't get rid of my vertical slider.

Palm, please don't make me buy the leaked BlackBerry slider.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    The Pre is a beautiful, distinctive, and functional design. It would be a bad choice for Palm to ditch it in favor of just another rectangle.
    The extra training of sales reps didn't start until the quarter was all but decided. Verizon admitted that they flubbed the Pre Plus launch. And since the extra training sales have picked up some. In the same time, Palm's gotten something of a clue about advertising. But because they're already fighting from behind, they have a lot of ground to make up.

Aside from build quality concerns, the Pre is a successful design.
    Quote Originally Posted by hopfrog View Post
    The Pre is a beautiful, distinctive, and functional design. It would be a bad choice for Palm to ditch it in favor of just another rectangle.
    The Pre is distinctive and beautiful, but it is also selling quite poorly.

The iPhone is distinctive and beautiful, but is selling quite well.

I love WebOS and I have been supporting the Pre for over a year now. However, if you think Palm is going to magically succeed by changing nothing then you are sorely mistaken. Palm needs new hardware, right now. If that means a vertical slider, great, just make sure it sells. If that means a horizontal slider, great, just make sure it sells. If that means a slab, great, just make sure it sells.

Look at the market. Right now slabs/slates sell well. They have fewer moving parts, which means less things breaking. Again, I don't really care what Palm does, but they have one shot, if that, to get it right.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    "The iPhone is distinctive"

Wait, really? Because it's a rectangle? There were rectangle phones before Apple's. There's really nothing distinctive or interesting about the design of the iphone, which is yesterday's news.

Apple and Google are beating Palm because each is a huge commercial product ecosystem, with a very familiar brand. Plus, Palm's had some manufacturing issues, and some marketing missteps.

The Pre's distinctive design is really what got it noticed in the first place, as something different. Palm needs to distinguish itself from its rivals to win, and looking just like a iphone with a different OS won't be enough to do that.

Palm could probably also put out an iPhone-type rectangle, too (should be pretty simple to engineer, relative to the Pre), but there's no reason to diminish the design triumph of the Pre, which is practical, elegant, and unlike any other handset.
    Yes, the iPhone is distinctive. It is iconic, actually. You show someone the front of an iPhone and they know about it already, even if they don't know about phones. The iPhone is the Mario of smart phones.

While the Pre has a very cleaver design, that design led to a lot of hardware problems, which helped generate a bad name for the Pre. Simplicity should be on Palm's mind. The physical design of the Pre is elegant but it is also over complicated and prone to errors and the overall gain of the distinctive design have so far proven not to outweigh the problems they can cause, at least as far as the market is concerned. Hell, in order to keep their design aesthetic, they put a very cheap piece of plastic to cover the usb door, which has broken for many people (including reviewers) which can leave a bad taste in ones mouth.

I would really stick to a very simple design that is tried and true.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast