Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    As one hoping for a Palm "prosumer" story I have to admit a bias, but I thought this Forbe's article provides a decent analysis. At a minimum this helps to explain Palm's cryptic marketing strategy...
    Instead of going for a differentiated enterprise application-based strategy I suggested two years back, which would have given Palm a "prosumer" story, the company has become a me-too player, chasing Apple and RIM's ( RIMM - news - people ) tails.

The result is that Palm is trying to become everything to everyone. This is a very poor strategy, despite good execution on the product development side. It is unsurprising given that Rubinstein, during his Apple days, relied on the marketing genius of Steve Jobs to worry about these aspects of the business.
    Link

I still hope that if Palm is acquired it is by Rim.
    Pilot Pro -> Pilot Vx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Pre -> Pixi Plus -> Pre2 + TouchPad -> BB 9930 -> Pre3+ Playbook
    Verizon -> Cingular -> ATT -> Sprint -> Verizon -> ATT
    be careful buddy, there lots of fan boys on this site, don't dare say anything bad about Palm
    Quote Originally Posted by miata View Post
    As one hoping for a Palm "prosumer" story I have to admit a bias, but I thought this Forbe's article provides a decent analysis. At a minimum this helps to explain Palm's cryptic marketing strategy...

Link

I still hope that if Palm is acquired it is by Rim.
    Why would you want RIM? Actually I thought either HP or Dell would be a good choice as they suggested because they wouldn't scrap webOS like RIM would probably do. As much as I love Palm, I would love webOS to live on.
    Quote Originally Posted by htabbach View Post
    be careful buddy, there lots of fan boys on this site, don't dare say anything bad about Palm
    you need to get a new hobby, Mr. Vp
    RIM? Vomit! lol

I'd rather see a Nokia or HTC partnership.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    two words

amazon
    HP all the way!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    two words

amazon
    you still have a word left...
    Ha ha, I'd vote for RIM. My curret Blackberry Pearl is the best phone I've ever owned, and of all the hardware I've looked at so far (at Sprint), the Curve would be my choice, EXCEPT for a fav Palm OS program I use alot - HanDbase. There is a Blackberry version, but it's very impature, shall we say, compared to the Palm OS version, and the program isn't very resposive (due to RIM's OS, the programers say). So yeah, the Blackberry Curve with Web OS would be a dream machine.

HTC would be a second choice, though.

That all being said, I will be getting a Pre through Sprint in April, precisely so I can ran my existing Palm OS software.
    Global Posts
    273 Global Posts
    Blackberry? We're talking Smartphones here. Not Scientific calculators w/ phone capabilities.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    two words

amazon
    This intrigues me. Tell me more.

Also, is there a link to Dell/HP hinting at not killing WebOS were they to acquire Palm?
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    I had at first thought of HP or Dell...but then I thought, Dell couldn't even get their OWN strategy right & keep it there so they'd just screw it up...and HP does printers well, but computers can be crap...so they're out. Then I thought HTC. That could be a good match...

However, I honestly feel the BEST option would be a Google buyout. If any of you have used an Android phone, you know there's some good & bad to it (like all phones). If we could get a melding of Android & WebOS, it would be INCREDIBLE!!!!
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    My thought process is that Blackberry has the most to loss right now without a modern OS. I first though of HP and Dell, but why would they want to get into the business of proprietary OS development when they simply use commodity Andriod or Mobile Windoze OS's without the risk or overhead? Does Dell even have a clue as to how to develop an application ecosystem? Those two companies differential themselves of supply chain efficiency -- not technology innovation.

Blackberry has a solid brand, knows how to make reliable phones and has a reliable network. Their weak link is their OS. On the other hand, Palm's greatest strength is webOS. hey have the best OS as is and the potential is way beyond any else out there.

The reason I highlighted the text from the article is that it highlights the thing that confuses me the most about Palm is their lack of market focus. You just don't enter a competitive market like this take on industry superstars like Apple, Google and Blackberry. But look at who Palm is targeting: moms with adds, the social set with Facebook and Synergy business folks with ActiveSync, Linix hacks with Homebrew, gamers with 3D, teenage girl texters with the "Pixi." They are basically taking the shot gun approach -- shooting in the dark. I'm sure that many of the folks at Palm believe in their hears that webOS s the best thing for everybody -- but these people underestimate the market challenges -- especially entering this late from scratch. It seems to me that the business market is where iPhone and Android leave an opening for webOS -- especially since Blackberry seems to be in a holding pattern with their OS strategy.

As a business/personal user I'm not sure where Palm is going either. I would like to see:

- the email and calendar client significantly enhanced
    - highly customized notifications
    - a bigger phone than with the Pixi form factor and larger display, keyboard and battery
    - serious MS office interoperability

But instead, will Palm continue making investments in things like:

- 3D game SDKs?
    - more artist cases for the Pixi?
    - a slab device to compete directly with the iPhone?

Maybe business isn't the right target for Palm. Let it be the "ultimate gaming platform" for all I care. But focus on something
    Pilot Pro -> Pilot Vx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Pre -> Pixi Plus -> Pre2 + TouchPad -> BB 9930 -> Pre3+ Playbook
    Verizon -> Cingular -> ATT -> Sprint -> Verizon -> ATT
    I don't understand what the author of the article means by "enterprise application strategy." Apps for a company to use internally?
    Quote Originally Posted by miata View Post
    As a business/personal user I'm not sure where Palm is going either. I would like to see:

- the email and calendar client significantly enhanced
    - highly customized notifications
    - a bigger phone than with the Pixi form factor and larger display, keyboard and battery
    - serious MS office interoperability

But instead, will Palm continue making investments in things like:

- 3D game SDKs?
    - more artist cases for the Pixi?
    - a slab device to compete directly with the iPhone?

Maybe business isn't the right target for Palm. Let it be the "ultimate gaming platform" for all I care. But focus on something
    Couldnt agree more! So I can play 3D games that the avg user doesnt know anything about, but still cant really customize my notifications or calendar. My "push" email is so so, and why no "profiles" for sounds/notifications.
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by friguy3 View Post
    Couldnt agree more! So I can play 3D games that the avg user doesnt know anything about, but still cant really customize my notifications or calendar. My "push" email is so so, and why no "profiles" for sounds/notifications.
    Second that. I'm using a treo pro which I bought thinking it would be temporary till the Pre was released. I was really disappointed to learn it had less functionality (calendar, tasks, memos) than my Treo. Plus no outlook sync at the time (now 3rd parties cover that gap). I held a display pixi at Best Buy and was amazed at how thin it was. A pixi form factor with a larger screen (and different name) with improved PIM, calendar, tasks to target the prosumer would be great.
    The problem with Palm is that at or close to the release of the Pre they said "they wanted to service that space between iphone and RIM". Big mistake to ignore Android that was struggling back then but roared back in the end of 09. Due to inability to compete with the iphone (itunes, apps) Android ( Navigator software, Google voice, apps) they should squarely target the business and prosumer sector ie RIM with a qwerty device.
    A slab form factor can be used to target the kids who want to game on their device, no problem with palm diversifying their hardware portfolio they just shouldn't abandon their traditional base.
    Quote Originally Posted by SiLlY View Post
    Blackberry? We're talking Smartphones here. Not Scientific calculators w/ phone capabilities.
    Yeah, but their "calculator" is built like a brick outhouse. WebOS would smarten it.
    Global Posts
    273 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by moneil7 View Post
    Yeah, but their "calculator" is built like a brick outhouse. WebOS would smarten it.
    That, I can not argue with.