Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 45
  1.    #1  
    1.4 brought more damaging bugs than any update to date, the list includes:

    1- Memory and garbage coolecting issues
    2- Random restarts (Maybe related to the first one)
    3- Missed calls and texts (Also maybe related to the same issue)
    4- Alarm issues
    5- Issues with applications that use background processes (Palm did not even inform developers of this change!)


    I think these issues are severe enough to release 1.4.1 very soon after 1.4, the same way 1.3.1 was released about a week after 1.3

    Am I the only one who thinks so?
  2. #2  
    I'm sure they aren't just sitting on it, it's not as easy as it sounds coming from a software development company there is tons of testing to be done and as always:

    if you fix one thing, you could potentionally f* something else up....


    Currently using: Sprint Palm Pre and Sprint HTC EVO 4G
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by 05typesdc5 View Post
    I'm sure they aren't just sitting on it, it's not as easy as it sounds coming from a software development company there is tons of testing to be done and as always:

    if you fix one thing, you could potentionally f* something else up....
    I am a developer myself and I understand what you are saying but the average user (Users who don't visit this site or any site) are propably dropping their phones if it cannot perform basic tasks like calls and texts or if the phone restarts very often.

    I will give you an example, my wife also has a Pre, had I not explained to her why her phone is acting up since the update she would have (for sure) dropped the phone for something else.

    I think Palm is hurting itself if they don't fix these issues very soon.
  4. #4  
    The webOS community put incredible pressure on Palm to release the 1.4 update by their self-imposed "deadline" of February. It's entirely possible that in their haste, they introduced the bugs that we're now suffering.

    I'd much rather Palm make sure that this update has been thoroughly tested before releasing it, even if it takes a few more weeks.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    The webOS community put incredible pressure on Palm to release the 1.4 update by their self-imposed "deadline" of February. It's entirely possible that in their haste, they introduced the bugs that we're now suffering.

    I'd much rather Palm make sure that this update has been thoroughly tested before releasing it, even if it takes a few more weeks.
    Please read my response above
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by htabbach View Post
    Please read my response above
    I fail to see how the point that they could be losing mindshare due to bugs counters the argument that they need to be sure the next rev is thoroughly tested and validated prior to a general release
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by htabbach View Post
    Please read my response above
    I did, and I don't get your point. Palm is working on an update, and so what would you have them do? Accelerate time?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I did, and I don't get your point. Palm is working on an update, and so what would you have them do? Accelerate time?
    Ok, maybe you are not a developer, I am VP of Technology for my company, if my developers pushed out our product with major bugs then they are working after hours and weekends until they release a fix ASAP.

    That is my point!
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by htabbach View Post
    Ok, maybe you are not a developer, I am VP of Technology for my company, if my developers pushed out our product with major bugs then they are working after hours and weekends until they release a fix ASAP.

    That is my point!
    Good point, I think we all got it the first time. Thing is, I'm willing to bet there are a ton of people at Palm working overtime trying to get 1.4.1 ready for release. Pretty sure they didn't just take a vacation to Fiji after 1.4.
    THIS IS HOW WE HANDLE BUSINESS
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by htabbach View Post
    Ok, maybe you are not a developer, I am VP of Technology for my company, if my developers pushed out our product with major bugs then they are working after hours and weekends until they release a fix ASAP.

    That is my point!
    And you're assuming they're not, why, exactly? Because the update hasn't been released yet? Your reasoning here seems a bit circular to me.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  11. #11  
    I must just be lucky as I haven't had any missed calls/texts, no problem with the alarm (i use it regularly), or issues with the phone restarting. The only time mine restarts is when I manually select restart. What's interesting is I had the exact problems the OP listed when I had my last 3 Android phones....it's what drove me to search for an alternative and landed me with my Pre.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by htabbach View Post
    Ok, maybe you are not a developer, I am VP of Technology for my company, if my developers pushed out our product with major bugs then they are working after hours and weekends until they release a fix ASAP.

    That is my point!
    And you know that Palm isn't doing this because?

    I don't care if you are a VP, THE President or CEO ... A quality product should be the rule. If Palm released 1.4 before it was ready because of their self imposed deadline, then they ought to be very careful they don't fall into the same trap with 1.4.1.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by htabbach View Post
    I am VP of Technology...
    Which explains your mentality. Disconnected from the whole process. All you do is set deadlines and crap. Thanks for showing us why you're so clueless. How big is your company?

    Oh and you're a VP and you blame a phone for your wife losing her job? LOL

    What would you do if someone in your company was in the same position? Would you fire them or blame the phone?
  14. #14  
    We already know Palm is working on bug fixes, they already seeded out a 1.4.1 release candidate to developers on Monday.

    I said this once already, but my guess is we get the update sometime after midnight tonight. Note that I have absolutely no affiliation with Palm, but it's been two weeks now since they admitted they were working on 1.4.1 to fix a garbage collection issue. The RC was given at the beginning of the week. Lately they've been releasing on Friday nights after midnight. And Sprint devices literally NEED to have an update by 3/31 in order to get rid of the NFL app, because Sprint lost the rights to it. (I'd bet the NFL app will just lose it's official branding and exclusive content, and it'll remain on the device, as opposed to getting entirely removed, but no idea.) So basically, in my mind, the odds are good for tonight.

    Of course, things always come up in development that aren't expected, and I don't work for Palm nor do I have any inside information, so don't sit around trying to update all night just because of what I said.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I said this once already, but my guess is we get the update sometime after midnight tonight.
    July is also sometime after midnight tonight.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    July is also sometime after midnight tonight.
    Ha true. Let me rephrase. Sometime tonight, after midnight.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Ha true. Let me rephrase. Sometime tonight, after midnight.
    That's impossible!
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by alxb View Post
    Which explains your mentality. Disconnected from the whole process. All you do is set deadlines and crap. Thanks for showing us why you're so clueless. How big is your company?

    Oh and you're a VP and you blame a phone for your wife losing her job? LOL

    What would you do if someone in your company was in the same position? Would you fire them or blame the phone?
    Thank you for being very classy! And absolutely disconnected from the real world. People like you develop loyalty to a provider no matter what, and usually are blind to the shortcoming of that vendor. That's how these companies make money, off of people that are not smart enough!
    Last edited by htabbach; 03/26/2010 at 10:06 PM.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by alxb View Post
    Which explains your mentality. Disconnected from the whole process. All you do is set deadlines and crap. Thanks for showing us why you're so clueless. How big is your company?

    Oh and you're a VP and you blame a phone for your wife losing her job? LOL

    What would you do if someone in your company was in the same position? Would you fire them or blame the phone?
    I would fire them for sure, it is their responsibilty to rely on good products not mine.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by htabbach View Post
    1.4 brought more damaging bugs than any update to date, the list includes:

    1- Memory and garbage coolecting issues
    2- Random restarts (Maybe related to the first one)
    3- Missed calls and texts (Also maybe related to the same issue)
    4- Alarm issues
    5- Issues with applications that use background processes (Palm did not even inform developers of this change!)


    I think these issues are severe enough to release 1.4.1 very soon after 1.4, the same way 1.3.1 was released about a week after 1.3

    Am I the only one who thinks so?
    You are the only one that thinks so, and we also wish you wouldn't create another thread to whine about it when there are plenty of threads open already. Search is a very powerful tool.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions