Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Ok so, as the title says, im the noobie, ive had my pre for about three weeks now, loving it. That being said, ive searched the forums with no success about a question i have.

Suppose I went ahead and installed homebrew on my webos 1.4 (presumably for homebrew apps + themes and customization?). What happens when webos is updated? will i be able to update successfully or do i need to wipe the hand held shoud i decide to update. Sounds kinda of stupid, i know but again, im a noob so please help me out.
    You need to remove themes and apps should be fine so will patches.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    thanks for the quick reply! In your opinion, do you think its worth doing right now- given im at work all day, i dont really have much else to do, but with these 'rumors' of an updated version of webos coming out i was wondering if i should hold off.
    Depends on if you find an app or theme that you think is worth it. I personally just have a few homebrew apps installed, although I've tried several.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    so my guess is that if you do this, your not going to cut yourself off from paid apps from the app catologe correct?
    Nope, if you do it the easy way, with WebOSqi and Preware, you still have full access to the App Catalog provided by Palm. Look at it this way, the App Catalog is the same as buying a finished, fully tested piece of software from a store. Homebrew apps are considered Beta apps, they haven't had all the bugs worked out sometimes, so there's a chance something won't work properly.
    HOmebrew apps are solid and you DON'T have to un install them before an update.

Any update to the phone is given to all developers before its released so that they can update their apps. The only thing you have to remove is a theme or a patch. And using Preware it's really waaaay too easy.

There's no reason to feel nervous about any of the Preware apps or patches. They are really rock solid, and so is WebOS. The worst that can happen is an app might make your phone slower. But usually they are updated frequently and problems are solved super fast.

Jump in. The water is just fine. And welcome to the community.