Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1.    #1  


    At least once per-day I like to Reset my Pre. But I was wondering if Shutting-Down is the same as just Removing The Battery? As everyone knows, removing the battery from the Pre is annoying! So I would prefer to just do the shut-down.

    I have noticed though, that the Reset lag time is the same whether I remove the battery or shut-down the device. It takes longer using one of those methods, then it does to simply Reset the device.

    So can I get back the same performance results from just Shutting-Down my Pre; instead of Removing The Battery?






    Carrier: Sprint
    Device: Palm Pre
    Favorite App: NesEm
    Favorite Modification: UberKernel

  2. Freshyz's Avatar
    Posts
    905 Posts
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    #2  
    For the most part I never remove my battery unless my phone completely freezes up.
    The full reset you do (w/o pulling the battery) is good to do and I do it daily as of 1.4. (Preset Reset)
    I know there is some value to actually pulling the battery out for a few minutes but definitely not needed on a regular basis.
    Plus, taking off your back cover too many times could result in a squeakier back cover and potentially a not-so-snug fit to your phone.
    Everybody wants some!..
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshyz View Post
    For the most part I never remove my battery unless my phone completely freezes up.
    The full reset you do (w/o pulling the battery) is good to do and I do it daily as of 1.4. (Preset Reset)
    I know there is some value to actually pulling the battery out for a few minutes but definitely not needed on a regular basis.
    Plus, taking off your back cover too many times could result in a squeakier back cover and potentially a not-so-snug fit to your phone.
    Thanks! I just downloaded that app and have it set for 3AM. That is much easier then manually resetting the phone, and a billion times better then removing the battery! I don't know why Palm made the battery so hard to remove, but as long as resets clear the resources correctly; then I won't need to remove the battery all that often.

    Thanks again!

    Carrier: Sprint
    Device: Palm Pre
    Favorite App: NesEm
    Favorite Modification: UberKernel

  4. PreGk's Avatar
    Posts
    441 Posts
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    #4  
    I always pull the battery after a day of installing/deleting a lot of apps, patches, themes, etc. Maybe placebo effect, but makes me feel better.
  5. #5  
    Totally removing power for a few minutes can sorta help if you've got some lag issues, shutdown/restart happens fast, and may not give the volatile RAM enough time to completely reset. I've never had to actually remove the battery yet, but I'm not a super-heavy app installer either.

    Palm may have made the battery cover the way they did because of an issue with the older half-back slide off covers on previous Treos. They have a tendency to pop off if you slide your hand down the phone while talking. Having a full-back like the Pre makes it a bit harder to remove, but eliminates the battery falling out when you switch hands mid-call.
  6. #6  
    Your Pre is a computer, it's the same to shut it down than take off the battery.

  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    Your Pre is a computer, it's the same to shut it down than take off the battery.

    Not rapidly and automatically. If you're really wanting to completely shut down your computer and clear out any residual data in the RAM, you have to shut down, pull the power cord from the wall, and press the power button several times to discharge the power caps. Digital equipment like computers and the like have a trickle charge going at all times (your computer has 5v even if the comp is "off", same as your stereo or DVD player in standby) to keep system hardware settings. If you REALLY want to shut a computer down to zero power, you have to shut it down via Windows (or OSX), pull the power plug, discharge the caps, AND remove the CMOS battery for ten minutes or so. That'll officially discharge and remove all power from the computer. Of course, that will also reset all hardware related settings back to the default stored in the CMOS.

    Restarting without a complete shutdown stores some info so it doesn't take five minutes for the hardware to reset and start again.
  8. #8  
    fussnfeathers---great explanation. thank you.
    I think if he/she just resets his/her phone, it will be fine.
    what a pain to remove the cover, and the touchstone cover (if you have it).
  9. #9  
    I have recently started to have some issues with a full reset. My luna reset works without any issues at all, java also resets without any problem. I like to reset my phone atleast once per day, however, I am plagued with freezing every time I hard reset (when you see the little grey circle in the center of the screen before the palm logos)

    anyone else having this problem? Anyone have any suggestions to try?
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by sjsharksfan View Post
    I have recently started to have some issues with a full reset. My luna reset works without any issues at all, java also resets without any problem. I like to reset my phone atleast once per day, however, I am plagued with freezing every time I hard reset (when you see the little grey circle in the center of the screen before the palm logos)

    anyone else having this problem? Anyone have any suggestions to try?
    I had this when copying over PmConfigManager from another webos version, it kept crashing all the time when I wanted to reboot or even shutdown. I wanted to have mobile hotspot on 1.4.0, but eventually gave up and bought myTether
  11. #11  
    I have the donor version of myTether,but just recently tested the mobile hotspot app, I will try to uninstal that and see if it fixes, thx for the suggestion!
  12. #12  
    I want to thank you for the suggestion, it worked and I am now able to do full hard resets without freezing sweet
  13. #13  
    I could be wrong (not that familiar with linux) but my friends who use it say it's like a mac in that you don't need to restart to free ram like a pc......
    "The union forces me to allow you to go to lunch in spite of the way you've played. Those of you with consciences will not be able to eat. And those of you whose consciences match your talents... go stuff yourselves. I hope you choke".....Maestro, The Money Pit
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by vbockius View Post
    I could be wrong (not that familiar with linux) but my friends who use it say it's like a mac in that you don't need to restart to free ram like a pc......
    That's not true, even in OS X. Win7 and OS X 10.6 are really good and freeing memory, but they still need to be rebooted, server OS nonwithstanding, since they see *very* different use cases.

    everyone does the battery pull thing as a placebo effect from BlackBerry, since that's actually a recommended step from RIM. I've found that removing the battery is not necessary on the pre. I just use preset reset to reboot my phone every day at 4:30am and it's just fine.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by wunderbar View Post
    That's not true, even in OS X. Win7 and OS X 10.6 are really good and freeing memory, but they still need to be rebooted, server OS nonwithstanding, since they see *very* different use cases.

    everyone does the battery pull thing as a placebo effect from BlackBerry, since that's actually a recommended step from RIM. I've found that removing the battery is not necessary on the pre. I just use preset reset to reboot my phone every day at 4:30am and it's just fine.
    i used to pull my batt on my BB too, but i have gone weeks without restarting my pre with no problems that i know of, i know i saw a thread about this when i first got my pre and remember Rod from web os internals post that restarting isn't nessesary, linux doesn't require it, so i never did...searching for that post now...but it was a while ago and he posts constantly so i'm having trouble finding it...
    "The union forces me to allow you to go to lunch in spite of the way you've played. Those of you with consciences will not be able to eat. And those of you whose consciences match your talents... go stuff yourselves. I hope you choke".....Maestro, The Money Pit

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions