1.    #1  
    WE ARE NOW UP TO 2778 APPS & other thoughts (& one question)!

Hi all,

Unless I have not added correctly, I get a total of 2,774 Apps, that's great considering just a few months ago, all that was offered was Homebrew Apps totaling in the single numbers.

Here is how I arrived at 2,774:

Homebrew 458
    Offical Apps 1943
    WEb Dist Apps 272
    Beta Apps 101
    Grand Total 2774

Now keep in mind this total will grow quickly, as more and more games are ported to the webOS system, now that Palm has shown how fast and easy it is to do so. After all, they were able to port a number of the games in just a few weeks. In at least one case, they did one of them, with just a few days of tinkering!

There is also my theory of the Critical Mass, once the number of Apps reaches a certain amount, more and more companies will want to write Apps for webOS.

By almost reaching 3,000 it also is sending a message to all of the naysayers, who are ready to bury Palm.

I also wanted to post this b/c in the past week, I have read in a number of articles that the App total is less than or at 1,000. This of course is not true, however, so many articles quote each other, so if it has incorrect info, many others just repeat it.

There also are not a small number of us, who would love to snap up one of those Pre or Pre Plus that the articles say Palm has shipped an large number to the cell companies. However, we cannot, b/c we are still locked into a contract, that prevents from upgrading to a Pre. (For example, I still have my contract with V for my Palm Centro, until Oct of this year).

I do have one question, keep in mind I still do not yet own a Pre and I am not a programmer. Therefore, some of the techo-babble that I read, goes over my head.

Now that Palm has shown how easy it is to port games, written for other platforms to webOS, does that also go for non game programs. Or is the system that Palm has designed to port games, only work with games, or can it work with a host of other kinds of Apps?

If it works with non game programs as well, I would think that would cause the app total to also grow faster.

Just the fact that the press has Palm dead and buried, yet Palm is still in business and promising more hardware soon, just proves that Palm is a scrappy underdog that is worth the programers to take a look at webOS.

We all knew it would not be easy to shake many customers from the Iphone sheep heard quickly. Yet all of the Iphone owners that I know, would prefer a REAL keyboard to typing on glass! So lets all talk Palm up!

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  2.    #2  
    WE ARE NOW UP TO 2778 APPS & other thoughts (& one question)!

Hi all,

Unless I have not added correctly, I get a total of 2,774 Apps, that's great considering just a few months ago, all that was offered was Homebrew Apps totaling in the single numbers.

Here is how I arrived at 2,774:

Homebrew 458
    Offical Apps 1943
    WEb Dist Apps 272
    Beta Apps 101
    Grand Total 2774

Now keep in mind this total will grow quickly, as more and more games are ported to the webOS system, now that Palm has shown how fast and easy it is to do so. After all, they were able to port a number of the games in just a few weeks. In at least one case, they did one of them, with just a few days of tinkering!

There is also my theory of the Critical Mass, once the number of Apps reaches a certain amount, more and more companies will want to write Apps for webOS.

By almost reaching 3,000 it also is sending a message to all of the naysayers, who are ready to bury Palm.

I also wanted to post this b/c in the past week, I have read in a number of articles that the App total is less than or at 1,000. This of course is not true, however, so many articles quote each other, so if it has incorrect info, many others just repeat it.

There also are not a small number of us, who would love to snap up one of those Pre or Pre Plus that the articles say Palm has shipped an large number to the cell companies. However, we cannot, b/c we are still locked into a contract, that prevents from upgrading to a Pre. (For example, I still have my contract with V for my Palm Centro, until Oct of this year).

I do have one question, keep in mind I still do not yet own a Pre and I am not a programmer. Therefore, some of the techo-babble that I read, goes over my head.

Now that Palm has shown how easy it is to port games, written for other platforms to webOS, does that also go for non game programs. Or is the system that Palm has designed to port games, only work with games, or can it work with a host of other kinds of Apps?

If it works with non game programs as well, I would think that would cause the app total to also grow faster.

Just the fact that the press has Palm dead and buried, yet Palm is still in business and promising more hardware soon, just proves that Palm is a scrappy underdog that is worth the programers to take a look at webOS.

We all knew it would not be easy to shake many customers from the Iphone sheep heard quickly. Yet all of the Iphone owners that I know, would prefer a REAL keyboard to typing on glass! So lets all talk Palm up!

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  3.    #3  
    Mod please help, I accidently Posted a double thread

I posted a thread about the total number of Apps @ 2774. However, it posted twice. Can one of you please fix it for me?

Thank you. Thank you for running the best smart phone sites on the web! Take care, Jay
    i think we'll have 5000+ apps by end of May.
    Review bomb for Palm - Let's do it!
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    More apps is always good, but something tells me we'd need 5 thousand apps before anyone stood up and took note on their own. That said, it would expedite matters if blogs and companies championed how well they were doing developing for the WebOS.
    That number is largely skewed as there a lot of duplicates.
    I don't consider all of the e-books, "apps". Just my honest opinion.

*edit* and all of the Brighthouse Labs or whatever quotes apps either.
    Last edited by iRobot; 03/26/2010 at 03:07 AM. Reason: who can forget Brighthouse Labs
    PreCentral's 1943 number is odd. The App Cat on my Boston, MA-based Sprint Pre shows 1786. I fear that I may not be able to rest until I actually count them.
    Quote Originally Posted by iRobot View Post
    I don't consider all of the e-books, "apps". Just my honest opinion.

*edit* and all of the Brighthouse Labs or whatever quotes apps either.
    As stupid as those apps are, if Apple and Android count them in their totals then Palm kind-of has to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Kernel View Post
    As stupid as those apps are, if Apple and Android count them in their totals then Palm kind-of has to.
    Apple is doing the best they can to get rid of garbage apps from their ecosystem. They have upset many people with huge app purges. Apple only wants "real" apps. They are not courting the garbage you seem to think they are.

Second, I bet most of those Pre apps are iPhone apps. Real developer interest is measured by people devoting the time and resources to write native apps. If Palm could boast that they had all of the iPhone apps, they would still be nothing more than copies of the originals. People will almost always rather have the original app running on the platform it was designed for. Palm's iPhone app hijacking system will not make it more compelling for consumers interested in apps.
    I don't know if I agree with that. Your average consumer wants, for example, a Shazam app....they don't care if it's the same as the iPhone one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    I don't know if I agree with that. Your average consumer wants, for example, a Shazam app....they don't care if it's the same as the iPhone one.
    That is a little like saying most people don't care if their Rolex is counterfeit, just so long as it looks like a Rolex. CZ looks just as good as diamond. Soy beans taste the same as ground beef. I could come up with endless, bad analogies. Sure, you can make a hackintosh, but it will never be a true replacement for a Mac. Turning the Pre into the hackinphone will not make it attractive to the mainstream who want the iPhone experience. Palm would be better off trying to define the Palm experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    Exactly. Don't forget, not everybody is standing in line to jump carriers every time a new phone is released, either because (like me) they're very happy with their current carrier, or they don't want to get nailed with a huge ETF just to get a phone with that neat bubble wrap app on such and such a phone. Some of us ARE budget concious, ya know. Quite a few of my friends are awed by the iPhone store, but they'll be darned if they switch from Verizon or Sprint to ATT with its poor coverage just for a $5 app.
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Kernel View Post
    +1
    what he said
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    I forgot the deposit at $99 minimum cost of a new iPhone plus a much more expensive service plan over Sprint to get that Shazam app.
    Personally, I think the iPhone app count thing is complete absurd. Who cares if they have xxx,000 apps if 9,345 of them are fart noise apps and 25,432 are background picture apps etc etc

I guess I agree that if Apple counts them Palm has to as well - but the 5 or 6 I use every day seem great so the "count" never really bothered me.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Apple is doing the best they can to get rid of garbage apps from their ecosystem. They have upset many people with huge app purges. Apple only wants "real" apps. They are not courting the garbage you seem to think they are.

Second, I bet most of those Pre apps are iPhone apps. Real developer interest is measured by people devoting the time and resources to write native apps. If Palm could boast that they had all of the iPhone apps, they would still be nothing more than copies of the originals. People will almost always rather have the original app running on the platform it was designed for. Palm's iPhone app hijacking system will not make it more compelling for consumers interested in apps.
    They Certainly are counting those apps! I recently saw one of the latest breakdowns for the apple app store, and books (just like the book apps on the pre), makeup somewhere arounf 25% of all apps. You can be sure they have significantly more quote apps.
    I have written some simple apps, and am wanting some practice. If you want something, let me know by pm. Even if it is only for you. Like you do the same calculations over and over. I can easilt write a custom app for that.
  19.    #19  
    Well we are now up to 2792!
    I have been thinking of all this and now the paid app store is going international (to an extent), I think more and more developers will develop for webOS as well as iphone and android. I had a feeling that all that was stopping developers would be the lack of income in certain regions and now that has been dealt with, I expect to see an influx of apps.

Gameloft have been keeping quiet but the video of HAWX and a couple of other games I have been hearing about show that developers are serious. Hell even the unreal engine can run on it! EA have also shown they are developing for it with NFS and The Sims.