Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    We've already got an 80% overclock that appears to run stable, when will we see the testing of 1ghz kernels?
    I wouldn't put any money on that ever happening. There's a limit for everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by -Gamah View Post
    We've already got an 80% overclock that appears to run stable, when will we see the testing of 1ghz kernels?
    nope.. While the cpu could do up to 1.3ghz, it wouldn't make a difference cause of other parts in the pre.. You could do it, but the only difference would be increased heat, and a lower battery life..
    even if their was i would not use it. I would not want to get greedy and frakk my pre.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    I seem to remember a post a little while back that the dev's had tested higher speeds but the difference was negligible. Seems that 800 is the sweet spot...
    I believe 800MHz is the physical maximum the cpu can handle
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Let's not get greedy folks, let's not behave like children at the toy store...
    nimer55 said it right, it would only consume more battery, over heat the phone without any real gains in speed and performance... I think caj2008 & friends have already reached the limits of the hardware on our beloved Pre.... Note that I said "the limits of the hardware", not the limits of their God given ability to program, tweak, develop and improve on an already great phone and OS. Much credit and thanks is due to them...you guys just provided us with a "New & Improved Palm Pre..
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    The group that provided the 800mhz patch is well loved in the community for providing this god send of a patch!

But...

I believe I'm starting to have an addiction to speed! More more more!

I have the neeeed...the need for speeed!
    I was conservative and only used the 720 patch, and I am loving it. The pre is so much snappier, and I have not noticed any change in temperature or battery life. Thanks to the fine souls who did this for us.

Now, to the poster with the need for speed: If they can do this with a Pre, imagine what an overclocked 1ghz Snapdragon would do?
    all i knw is that this 800 patch is sweet...n the keyboard(touchscreen) is very responsive wooow
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    While I will never say no to speed (or anything, really, from a consumer standpoint), I don't actually see benefits of having an OS with even faster cpu just yet. Sure, programs would open even FASTER, but, honestly, when has that been a huge issue? Isn't the point of the OS to leave programs open and switch between?

I am running the 720 patch and might switch to the 800 patch later on, but haven't felt the need just yet. Things are very, very crisp.

Makes me wonder is gonna happen with the next Palm device. Everyone seems convinced that new hardware is the key and I'm really not so sure.

Post 720 patch I use the Pre better in that it's faster overall and solid as a rock; I'm still doing the same few things though.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stihl View Post
    While I will never say no to speed (or anything, really, from a consumer standpoint), I don't actually see benefits of having an OS with even faster cpu just yet. Sure, programs would open even FASTER, but, honestly, when has that been a huge issue? Isn't the point of the OS to leave programs open and switch between?

I am running the 720 patch and might switch to the 800 patch later on, but haven't felt the need just yet. Things are very, very crisp.

Makes me wonder is gonna happen with the next Palm device. Everyone seems convinced that new hardware is the key and I'm really not so sure.

Post 720 patch I use the Pre better in that it's faster overall and solid as a rock; I'm still doing the same few things though.
    Even with 600 my Pre could get boggy with apps running constantly.

Also, in-app response and UI seems much faster. That is a major plus.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    I don't think I made myself clear--I do use and appreciate the 720 patch and I'm sure the 800 one is even better; I'm just suggesting that there is going to come a point where the cpu isn't the limiting factor anymore and--with these patches--we may have even reached it (or be close).
  14. Pun
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Is this patch on preware? I can't find the 800mhz on there
    Quote Originally Posted by Pun View Post
    Is this patch on preware? I can't find the 800mhz on there
    Not yet, but the mega thread on this patch has very clear instructions on how to install this.
    After running the 800Mhz patch today, I have to confess to not really feeling much difference. Yes, it's a little snappier. But really only a little. Maybe it's more than I really think it is. I'll run it for a few days then go back and see how much I miss it.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    In that case Palm should consider marketing the unsold CDMA Pres to the army overclocked this way. Makes pretty darn good grenades...
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Well accepted mathematics says that 800Mhz above the (under)clocked 500Mhz is actually 60%, so I don't know what type of math says 80%

Technically, it is a 33% overclock because the original clock speed was 600Mhz downclocked to 500Mhz and then overclocked to 800Mhz.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    I love the 800mhz everything just feels so much faster. It used to take my google maps about 30-45 secs to open, then even more time to even render the maps, that was on the stock 500mhz. Now it opens in about 3 secs and instantly renders. I've also noticed when you get a message and it pops up in the notification bar, but its still just black and white like right when you get it, when i click that it pulls up that message so fast its great stuff.
    You have already seen the 1ghz overclock in the motorola Droid.Remember that,the Droid & Pre has the same CPU, but the droid has it@550mhz clock speed as default.The Pre has it@500mhz as default. Bear in mind that,the maximum capacity of the CPU processor is 1.3ghz max.I have friends that hacked their motorola Droid,@1ghz overclock speed,& it insanely fast as the Nexus-one.So,don't feel scare about the possibilty of we getting the Pre up to 1ghz overclock speed.People are overclocking the Droid to 1ghz,with no burn up,or over heating problem.Everything seem to run smoothly.My question is,when will we see a 1ghz overclock speed on our Pre? hackers lets do it!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast