Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    correct me if i'm wrong, but one of the creators of the 800mhz script (caj2008) stated on another thread that we wouldn't see any increase in speed if overclocked past 800mhz.
    My first theme - Mac OSX Theme Gallery or Pre Themer

Learn how to run your pre at 800mhz Here!
    Quote Originally Posted by as4life View Post
    correct me if i'm wrong, but one of the creators of the 800mhz script (caj2008) stated on another thread that we wouldn't see any increase in speed if overclocked past 800mhz.
    Yes that is correct they stated that the Bus(input/ouput) can't keep up with any speeds over 800mhz so there is not point in going over that speed as you will not see an increase in speed as the data is not getting to the processor fast enough.
    Do we know they were referring to just the bus itself? It could also be limited by the very slow speeds of the flash memory in the Pre that the OS and all files and apps are installed on; which would be a component that would be entirely different on the Droid and explain why there's more of a difference with 1GHz on the Droid and why going from 800MHz to 1GHz might not matter so much for us on the Pre.
    If the bus and chipset the processor is going through bottlenecks, you won't see any additional speed past what we already have. The developers of the patch are totally correct there. I can, for example, get my desktop processor up to 4ghz fairly easily from 2.66ghz, but I start seeing dimishing returns after 1ghz of overclock. That last 400mhz doesn't do a whole lot, my motherboard chipset can't handle the data transfer speed. This isn't any different. from 600mhz to 800mhz, you might see, what, a 25% overall improvement? That last 200mhz might give you 5%, if that.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12