Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Wow! What´s going in here? Thank you all for all the great feedback to my clip! I´m really glad you like it that much.

Yes, I did submit it this clip for the contest, but really only because it´s already done and because I´d probably would´ve uploaded it anyways sometime soon.

Regarding Palm, they retweeted one of the users from here who posted the link on twitter a few hours ago, so chances are they at least took notice of it

I did this clip about a week ago, but merely for the fun of it to integrate all this stuff in one shot. While I shot the clip I had no real concept whatsoever of what´s going to be seen later on in the final result. So bare with me here that it´s not really as clear on showing the power of webOS than it should be for a commercial.

I probably have some spare time next week to waste, so if you guys can come up with a short but possible concept for a more elaborate spot, I could try to make it into another ad. Finally, we all profit from more exposure for Palm´s webOS, right?
    looks amazing, but content is mediocre. It doesnt highlight any of webOS capabilities (other than multitasking). Content>= Delivery is my philosophy. I wish i can make one <<brain starts thinkings>>

EDIT: Reads heth's post, becomes excited.

ok here is what i would like to see:

Sequence of usage in a day condensed into a minute:

ok here is an impromptu (very rough) sketch.

1) Our guy Mr. Doe is chilling (perhaps with a friend/girlfriend). His palm alerts hiim of an event.

2) he looks into the description, sees an address, it opens up the navigation/maps

3) he arrives at event, video records, edits and uploads to youtube/facebook

4) watches reactions on facebook, gets a notification of a chat from a friend who just saw the video, starts chatting with a friend

5) Opens a link sent by the friend, say the new page is a restaurant review

6) he LAUNCHER-WAVE opens his phone/contacts app and dials first friend/girlfriend/ and invites him/her to dinner. Meets up with first friend/girlfriend and story ends.

7) Ending statement.

Control life from your Palm. Introducing the Palm Pre Plus.

(statement being made while a shot of the Palm in a palm is being played). (I do not know if such a thing has been used already..it seemed very obvious to me to use it).

======
    Ofcourse, infinite such scenarios can be created but the idea is to show the following 3 main things:

>WAVE launcher mechanism <very under appreciated

>Synergy in action

>Powerful Multitasking with apps interacting with each other

Also, Notifications and gestures should be in there imo. they are unique to webOS thus making it attractive.
    Last edited by WiTeBot; 03/26/2010 at 03:21 AM.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    I relate how this ad makes iphone ads look low tech to how webos makes iphone os look out-dated.

and yet the ad is still elegant, unlike the droid commercial and it's os.
    Yeah it's interesting, this ad is very droid like in it's aggressiveness, but contains none of bumptiousness of Google's ads. It just makes you go 'what is THAT and where can I get it??'

The Palm Logo's abbreviated appearance toward the end is great as well; it really reminds me of those old Playstation ads that would only show the symbol for the system for a half second at the very end. Compare that to the Palm ad's for the last year where they give you the company's name for 10 -15 seconds of screen time.

Really enjoyed the simplicity and demoing the OS vis a vis transmuting the magazine into a second screen. Showing both the phone and magazine in lock step was great.
    THAT ad to catch the attention and the awe and another explaining one (see witebots suggestion) BOTH on air side by side. The awe will flash over and give webOS what it deserves.

GREAT JOB!
    Quote Originally Posted by heth View Post
    I probably have some spare time next week to waste, so if you guys can come up with a short but possible concept for a more elaborate spot, I could try to make it into another ad. Finally, we all profit from more exposure for Palm´s webOS, right?
    First of all...

You sir, are what I would call DOPE! You are dope. That video is dope. Just dope, dope, dope. (That's a good thing for those outside my language barrier )

Too bad Palm couldn't pay a thousand people to come up with an ad like this.

Anyway... two things I suggest.

One -- While the ad is AWESOME... as others have mentioned, like the ads before it, it ignores the gesture area. I do not see an effective way to teach webOS to non-Pre owners without showing them a finger on the gesture area.

Two -- A voice mentioning EVERY thing that makes webOS devices awesome (and better apps to flash). The song is GREAT. Much better than the hip, trendy Mos Def song or whatever in the last one. It's simple & complex, classic & timeless, moving & very upbeat -- all at the same time. Definitely the best song to match Palm's slogan without a doubt. But I'd cut that volume of the song down to ~30% and get a nice voice cramming tons of "webOS specials" in there. Basically, just mention things that people SHOULD remember webOS for (frequent updates, notifications, keyboard, 3D gaming, Flash apps, and maybe even PreCentral.net in the browser, & of course Preware!)... and preferably say them while that feature flashes before their eyes with the sliding apps. OK. Voice could go without... but definitely need to flash better apps.

If Palm doesn't run with this... then Rubinstein has chosen the other commercials intentionally as part of the Apple plan.
    Thank you

Of course you´re right, stuff like gestures are of utmost importance to really show the potential of webos and it´s devices. Regarding a voice over, if there will be another spot by me, we should find an appropriate native English speaking person to do the voice over for the spot. I´m from Germany and really won´t be able to talk accent-free, but for maximum international impact this should be the case for the narrator.
    For some reason, the setting and the music together seem like a true Englishman, one with a "sophisticated" voice seems like it pops to mind (like John Cleese from Monty Python, almost), would be a very nice fit. But then it'd be easy to destroy the essence of the video if the voice wasn't just right. Guess it depends on what he's saying and how he says it, really.

Somebody's gotta write the most effective script with a list of the most effective apps, features of the Pre and webOS that kick ayse!

Oh well... just a few tweaks and that commercial is gonna be GOLDEN.
    Any ad needs to include 3d games.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Very good.
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    amazing video. I loved it because it's short and to the point of webos
    I personally think we can use the power of emotion to get to the commercial viewers.

Make a love story and show how the palm pre can help

Here's the idea from google:
    YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

(this is through mobile so I apologize. The name is 'Parisian Love' if you want to look it up)
    very very cool! congrats!
    It IS crucial to keep that magic you caught in your clip! Before you lose that, consider making an additional one.

E.g.:

A couple sitting in a restaurant, candle-light-dinner. She excuses herself for a moment, goes to the bathroom.
    Now here starts some bad-*** James-Bond-action in perfect multitasking :

Our man:
    - receives an email from the CIA (I know...) with a wanted poster as an attachment "What, NOW?"
    - secretly films some obvious mafiosos dining next table "OK, how about this?" (shot of the pres backside lurking around a fancily folded napkin)
    - loads it up "I quickly provide you the material..." (the camera starts slowly moving in a half-circle around him, besides him hovering transparent cards of webOS)
    - sends a text/mail with the link and the coordinates from google maps back to the CIA "...and the coordinates..."
    - searches for the next step of his romantic night (universal search, Gowalla,...), so they won't be disturbed by the police arresting the mafiosos "... so I can mind MY business."
    - activates airplane mode "...see you monday!" (half-circle camera-move ends on the other side)

She comes back, romantic tension remained, he starts: "You know I heard of a real nice bar on the deck of a ship, not too far from here..." She answers by raising her eyebrows with a smile.

Shot of the Pre on the side, in front of the couple sitting on deck of a ship, still all romantic, in the background lights of police-cars driving by. This dubbed by "Life moves fast. Don't miss a thing.".

Palm logo for a second. - CUT -

Bit fancy not as easy to shoot, but I like how it tells you you're as cool as James Bond. What's not to love?
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Wow! What´s going in here? Thank you all for all the great feedback to my clip! I´m really glad you like it that much.

Yes, I did submit it this clip for the contest, but really only because it´s already done and because I´d probably would´ve uploaded it anyways sometime soon.

Regarding Palm, they retweeted one of the users from here who posted the link on twitter a few hours ago, so chances are they at least took notice of it

I did this clip about a week ago, but merely for the fun of it to integrate all this stuff in one shot. While I shot the clip I had no real concept whatsoever of what´s going to be seen later on in the final result. So bare with me here that it´s not really as clear on showing the power of webOS than it should be for a commercial.

BTW You do know that Engadget posted this right Fan-made Pre ad gets the point, why can't Palm? (video) -- Engadget

Between this & my Palm Retweet... You got alot more fans from yesterday to now!
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    "Keep It Simple, Stupid."

Focus on input and output of the phone. This is how Apple's iPhone and Verizon's Droid commercials have done. This is how all new mobile OS commercials should be. Teach all the great benefits of the input output areas with maximum efficiency. Nobody in the background... especially no distracting hotties.

Nothing more, nothing less than a finger. No role-playing. A voice to guide the auditory people thru the benefits.

But this video is just SO unique, that cutting out the song almost does this video damage. I think this should be a series, where this one starts it off... and the second (third?) comes at you with the sophisticated Englishman voice... or whatever.
    Yeah I noticed engadget´s posting, very nice! Their German counterpart also brought up the story, which is cool! Also O2 Germany twittered about the video, at least we get some good webos coverage now! That together with the viral twitter / facebook slogan gig from yesterday should´ve done some good for Palm.

There are some cool ideas here already posted, I like the James Bond approach But I also think in keeping it simple we can better play our strengths. Without any really good native English speaking actors, I wouldn´t wanna shoot another ad. It would just distract from the general point. I think maybe we should do domething similar to my first clip to raise attention in the first half of the clip and then switch to an iphone-esque style commercial where we see the pre upfront and only a finger doing the gestures, showing of multitasking, notifications, flip the phone, play 3d games (NSFU), all those things we really like about webOS. Maybe a mere 45 seconds in total, the ending probably something similar to what I´ve done already with the card-style logo exits and the short Palm logo... Something along those lines.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Yeah I noticed engadget´s posting, very nice! Their German counterpart also brought up the story, which is cool! Also O2 Germany twittered about the video, at least we get some good webos coverage now! That together with the viral twitter / facebook slogan gig from yesterday should´ve done some good for Palm.

There are some cool ideas here already posted, I like the James Bond approach But I also think in keeping it simple we can better play our strengths. Without any really good native English speaking actors, I wouldn´t wanna shoot another ad. It would just distract from the general point. I think maybe we should do domething similar to my first clip to raise attention in the first half of the clip and then switch to an iphone-esque style commercial where we see the pre upfront and only a finger doing the gestures, showing of multitasking, notifications, flip the phone, play 3d games (NSFU), all those things we really like about webOS. Maybe a mere 45 seconds in total, the ending probably something similar to what I´ve done already with the card-style logo exits and the short Palm logo... Something along those lines.
    Well seeing what you have done already... Anything else you come up I'm sure will be strong... & sure.. Edit it a bit & throw some 3D games will be great...
    I do agree with you about not shooting a completly new video with that it would distract from this recent press...
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    Great job! I LOVE IT! It's getting people talking about palm, and that's exactly the point of all this right? It's graphically pleasing, and as a user of WebOS it gets me excited, but as people have said it doesn't show what the phone can do.

Palm needs like 10 30 sec spots highlighting one feature of the phone. Gaming/notifications, pulling calendar data from multiple spots, Multitasking, syncing contacts w/facebook, gmail, ect. and so on. Just my opinion.
    I agree that the video was very well done. I also agree with those who said that it doesn't show the benefits of webOS. The thing is, I believe that the innovative features of webOS are difficult to convey in a 30 second spot; a series of related commercials might be ideal. Please don't get me wrong...I believe this is still better than the first Sprint and Verizon ads.

A couple of suggestions/comments:

1) While the pages of the magazine mimicking the Pre is very clever, there's a lot of layers and movement going on. Those unfamiliar with the Pre's card system may have difficulty keeping up or even understanding what they're seeing. It almost seems like the cool graphics are highlighted more than the product. (And they are VERY cool, by the way.)

2) 12 seconds of the 30 second spot don't show the phone or webOS at all. That's an awful lot of "empty" screen time when the attempt is to educate people on the innovative features of the device. "Life moves fast...don't miss a thing." I LOVE that marketing phrase. The follow-up question that must be answered is "HOW does the Pre specifically help me to not miss a thing?"

3) Since the integration and multitasking features may be new to a lot of potential customers, I would recommend simple screenshots of the Pre doing it's thing with simple banners at the bottom explaining what's happening. Example: show the calendar with different colored events. At the bottom, "multiple calendars - synced automatically." Show the cards scrolling side-to-side, with a banner saying "true multitasking." Do something similar with the other key features...show them and explain them...quick hits. The thought is to make the features jump right out: "BAM"-multitasking. "BAM"-calendar integration. "BAM"-facebook.

Someone earlier mentioned how iPhone ads simply show the device working and it's very effective. Still, Apple shows the apps and Palm can't show off nearly as many. Palm needs to show HOW webOS works and what sets it apart. As the apps come, bring more of those into the commercials.
    Last edited by semprini; 03/26/2010 at 09:41 AM.
    Heth: Great Job! The only thing I can come up with for the next attempt is an old, and I believe true, sales saying: 'Features don't sell, benefits do'!
    In other words, try to sell the 'Sizzle' of WebOS, and not necessarily the features. The features shown in your ad get everyone in this forum hyped up; because we know the benefits of them. Someone new to the Pre won't neccesarily 'get it'.
    Again, Great Job!
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast