Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Dont give him the idea to charge $ for this. lol.
    I keep refreshing this post in the hopes that there's been an update...only to be disappointed.

WORK AT THE SPEED OF MY THOUGHTS JEEZ!
  3.    #23  
    im glad someone took off with the idea, its nice to see things come along so quickly
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    That wasn't his question. An image is a "snapshot" of the device in it's current state. Ghost is a popular example. These images make it MUCH easier to restore a device to a previous state.

My guess is that it's going to take some pretty low level modifications to get an image backup of a Pre, but I suspect it could be done.
    The thing that frustrates me most is the application data that doesn't get backed up. Best example is "Absolute Fitness" that tracks food, excercise, blood pressure, etc.

It's the best of poor choices in the appstore. Unfortunately, I don't know where it keeps the data. That means that any time I do a full erase of my Pre, I lose everything. I lose the history of the important stuff I'm tracking, which totally defeats the purpose of the app.

If your idea will solve that... I'm ready to open the checkbook...
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    The thing that frustrates me most is the application data that doesn't get backed up. Best example is "Absolute Fitness" that tracks food, excercise, blood pressure, etc.

It's the best of poor choices in the appstore. Unfortunately, I don't know where it keeps the data. That means that any time I do a full erase of my Pre, I lose everything. I lose the history of the important stuff I'm tracking, which totally defeats the purpose of the app.

If your idea will solve that... I'm ready to open the checkbook...
    It will solve that. It will take an exact "image" of your phone, create a file (or multiple files) and place them on your pc. Then if ur pre starts getting slow or in a situation where you would normally run webOS Dr. you would just load the "image" that was taken of your pre, back on to your pre. All files, patches, usb partition, would all be back to the state from when you took the image.

But your app is a little different. Because it stores information as you put it into the application. This remedy wouldn't be so much for that, as for just restoring your pre to a previous state. More or less like the restore feature on windows. It will restore it back to a point (usually after you have all of your apps and add-in's installed) but won't back up files and such that were created after the restore point.

Hope that sorta clarified it for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by brennan7 View Post
    im glad someone took off with the idea, its nice to see things come along so quickly
    Because it's a Stupendous idea

I use SuperDuper for my Mac and Winclone for the PC side.
    It takes away the fear.
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ColbyM View Post
    Dont give him the idea to charge $ for this. lol.
    I would be more than willing to donate to the author for software like this.
  8.    #28  
    update update update!?!?!?!?!
    Quote Originally Posted by brennan7 View Post
    So,

here at work we use images for everything. Pc goes down, or just gets royally eff'd we re-image it.

Im wondering if there is any way to take an image of your pre (preferably after all the apps and everything is downloaded and after patches and what not are installed) and then if your pre takes a ****, if you can then push the image to the device...

Any ideas?
    You could use the recovery kernel+initramfs from the webOS Doctor package, boot the device in recovery mode, use "novacom mem" to boot that kernel and initramfs, use "novacom push" to push a custom backup script and execute it. The script would do a dd of the unmounted LVM partitions and send it back over the novacom connection for storage on the host PC. Reverse the process for restoration.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    You could use the recovery kernel+initramfs from the webOS Doctor package, boot the device in recovery mode, use "novacom mem" to boot that kernel and initramfs, use "novacom push" to push a custom backup script and execute it. The script would do a dd of the unmounted LVM partitions and send it back over the novacom connection for storage on the host PC. Reverse the process for restoration.

-- Rod
    I, uhhhhh, what?
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post

-- Rod
    I love it when you talk NERDY like that.

Sounds like this idea's just getting closer and closer to reality. If only a programmer could put that all together for us...
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    I love it when you talk NERDY like that.

Sounds like this idea's just getting closer and closer to reality. If only a programmer could put that all together for us...
    i believe tdps2's idea was looking very promising. Maybe with a little polish we'd have the perfect app!
    The more competing solutions we have for backup...

The easier it will be to collaborate and design the "better" backup solution.
    here's hoping this idea doesn't die!
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    This is a great idea!!
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    keep a recent copy of your palmdatabase3 file. this contains a lot of your saved information.
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ78 View Post
    keep a recent copy of your palmdatabase3 file. this contains a lot of your saved information.
    he speaks!!!

any updates on the beta?
    yeah is someone working on this???
    I'm willing to donate at least $20 for such an app. I *need* such an app to be productive.

Solutions have already been suggested, which seem mostly plausible. So if anybody feels like they can accomplish this... I'm certain that you will be rewarded handsomely. Plus, you know you NEED a complete backup solution, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    I'm willing to donate at least $20 for such an app.

Solutions have already been suggested, which seem mostly plausible. So if anybody feels like they can accomplish this... I'm certain that you will be rewarded handsomely. Plus, you know you want a complete backup solution, too.
    I might do one, but it would be a Linux solution like Meta-Doctor ... but that seems to be off-putting for a lot of people on this forum.

Maybe I'll call it the WebOS Internals Meta-Geneticist, since it will make an exact clone ...

-- Rod
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast