Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    so far i love the update. the pre seems so much faster.

i will post more results as soon as I'm here
    Ivan's Themes main thread

Oklahoma Sooner theme

If you would like to because you like my work or you just want to buy me a drink I would really appreciate it.
    i think the reason this patch doesnt have a very big impact on the battery life is because, now that we can do things faster, we dont have to have the phone on as long as we used to. when i had the one for 1.3.5.1, i notice a 15-20% gaster drain on my battery life, but since i have 2 batteries it wasnt an issue.
    I've been using the 800 patch, the lowest I've seen is 17% and the highest is about 25% drain per hour, I'd say the average is about 22% an hour. I use Dr.Podder all day over Bluetooth headphones, which adds to it. All in all, I get about 4 hours battery.
    Root to your Pre in Ubuntu: http://www.surfrock66.com/?p=600
    I believe the average alpha tester results were only a 2-4% battery life reduction
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    i came up with a 1/2 % to a 1 % difference between the 720 and 800 and like jason said about 2 to 3 % myself on the tests for 500 to the 720 or 800
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    my rate is about 2.3% drain per hour, having the gtalk, facebook chat spoof and live (messaging plugin) always on
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    I never used battery monitor until I got the 800MHz kernel. Compared to my other battery usage when my phone was stock, I don't see any change. I used my phone today just like all my other days.

I'd also like to note that temp wise, my phone didn't get hot (don't play much 3D games). matter of fact, my phone used to get hot when I'd charge it but today it didn't get hot.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Ive been using the 800MHz all night with more use than normal (due to the fact that im happy with my phone now.) and I haven't seen a difference in battery drainage.

Im off to buy more batteries as it seems I might be using my phone alot more now.

Srsly the best thing to happen to the pre since the launch.
    Ok I have been using it for a few hours now. I like the patch alot guys.

battery drain is not bad at all. Seems almost the same actually. Using touch stone works fine too.
    Ivan's Themes main thread

Oklahoma Sooner theme

If you would like to because you like my work or you just want to buy me a drink I would really appreciate it.
    In my case I noticed a 2-3% drop in battery life...which IMHO is more than acceptable and a bargain price to pay for such an improved experience with the Pre. I have yet to see a temperature increase (I'm still holding my breath!)...my Pre just goes on and about as usual, but a lot faster...
    No lag, no frozen screen, no reboots, no hiccups... I was actually able to open 25 cards without getting the too many cards open message...but truth is that by the time the 25th card/app was opening I could notice the phone getting a little sluggish and slower...but again, can you complain about that?!? Hell No!!
    My Pre is behaving the way I expected it would when I got it out of the box, they way we all wanted our phones to perform the first time we dove into WebOs, fast, smooth, fluidly.
    Hell of a good work guys (caj2008 & friends), hell of a good work!
    Last edited by Njtroncoso; 03/25/2010 at 11:55 PM.
    There is definitely increased battery drain, but it's hard for me to quantify. Leaving the phone alone with just the battery monitor app, the drain is only about 1.5-2%/hour for me, which is about the same as without the patch. However, my understanding is that the patch is not doing much, unless the phone is actively being used. When using the apps, I am reaping the benefit of the amazing app load times, but I am also getting hit pretty hard in terms of the battery. The real question isn't what is the battery life with minimal use...it is "what is the battery life with active use?" When actively using the browser/pandora/music app, my battery seems like it will only last about 3 hours (vs maybe 4 before). These are somewhat subjective numbers, and I'll have to leave the battery app running with pandora one day to test, but I would venture to say that there is much more than a 2-3% drop in battery life...at least with active use of the phone. However, the increased speed is definitely worth it for me!
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfrock66 View Post
    I've been using the 800 patch, the lowest I've seen is 17% and the highest is about 25% drain per hour, I'd say the average is about 22% an hour. I use Dr.Podder all day over Bluetooth headphones, which adds to it. All in all, I get about 4 hours battery.
    just curious, what were u getting without the patch while those apps/bluetooth were running?
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    My first day of using the 800mHz one, with the stock battery, I hit the 20% remaining warning after 6 hours. That's with ~15 minutes on the phone, ~45 minutes of 3D games, a tiny bit of using GPS, and occasional web browsing, emailing, Tweeting, etc.

As always, battery life depends mostly on what you actually do with your phone. Lately I'm never that far from one of my Touchstones, so 6 hours might be good enough for me, haven't decided yet.

I've got 2 emails set to receive mail as it arrives, GPS and location services on (but anonymous data collection off), a GTalk, AIM, Yahoo account all constantly logged in, Twee checking every 15 minutes, Weather Dashboard every 30 minutes, Pack&Track every 15 minutes, YouView checking (I believe it checks every 5 minutes, though don't know for sure), and I used Wifi for probably 3/4 of the time and EVDO the other 1/4.

Honestly, there's days when my phone isn't overclocked that it has similar battery life though. My best guesstimate from past experience would be that it's probably taking away 30 minutes to an hour from my overall battery life, but that's just a guess with no real data behind it. (I'm running stock other than the overclock, so I don't have BatteryMonitor installed to be able to get good data from).

Dude - GPS is KILLING your battery - install the top-bar menu GPS switch - makes it super easy to turn on and off when you need it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phenoum View Post
    Dude - GPS is KILLING your battery - install the top-bar menu GPS switch - makes it super easy to turn on and off when you need it!
    I actually like GPS always on, makes it more convenient for things like Weather Dashboard and the like. Thanks for the advice though.
    Keeping the GPS always on is essential for things like GeoStrings.

I don't know which rev it was that I did this in, but I ran some extensive battery performance tests with GPS, bluetooth and wifi both on & off. I found that keeping BT & GPS on all the time resulted in almost no change in battery life. While turning wifi off when you weren't using it, resulted in some lengthening of battery life.

Since then I have just kept GPS & BT on all the time. But it strikes me that this may be bad advice under a new version of the OS and I should probably rerun the tests again.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Installed the 800 one without telling wife. Will see if she notices..

I noticed better times on opening apps..especially the web app. Much better scrolling. Less checkerboard. Really snappy.
    i have caj2008/unixpsycho kernel install and im using the CPUScalerUber app.

i have the "Scale 250-->800mhz" option selected. I draned 1% of battery in 5hours. However this was done on my developer phone which stays in airplane mode and was sleeping for the duration of the 5hrs.

The CPUScalerUber app lets you choose your cpu speed or enable cpu scaling options. It can save you battery life if you scale or choose a lower frequency.

download the CPUScalerUber app here:
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...u-speed-5.html
    Internet Radio - the best beats on the web

CPUScaling app L337Tech post

Super PreKernel app

If you appreciated any of my help, enjoy any of my apps that I give away for free, or want to see more development from me, think about making a donation. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Installed the 800 one without telling wife. Will see if she notices..

I noticed better times on opening apps..especially the web app. Much better scrolling. Less checkerboard. Really snappy.
    Nice. Definitely let us know if she notices. My wife has some sort of magic Pre. It's as fast without the 800 mhz patch as mine is with. I ran a myriad of tests and if anything hers is just a touch slower. Meanwhile mine when from slugish, like a wet sponge, to nice and responsive.
    Quote Originally Posted by nyquistJack View Post
    Nice. Definitely let us know if she notices. My wife has some sort of magic Pre. It's as fast without the 800 mhz patch as mine is with. I ran a myriad of tests and if anything hers is just a touch slower. Meanwhile mine when from slugish, like a wet sponge, to nice and responsive.
    is your address book bigger than hers? facebook friend count?
    Wish it wasnt an issue - but i think it does affect the Pre - indexing maybe?
    I just bought "Super BO Boxing" over EVDO (with 3-5 bars, varying) while on the Touchstone charger.

During the download (and charging), battery dropped from 100% to 86% and the temperature went up to 47C!!

Definitely more power drain under load, but worth it for daily use.
    Always pimpin' PunnyShirts.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast