View Poll Results: Would you pay extra for better Pre build quality?

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • I want a Pre with better build quality and I'll pay extra for it.

40 49.38%
  • I want better build quality, but I won't pay extra for it.

23 28.40%
  • I'm happy with my Pre's build quality.

18 22.22%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    It doesn't work that way. You need to compare retail prices.
    Really? I would think you need to compare build prices. Pre costs a bit less to build than an iPhone or Nexus One, or Droid. The build quality of those other phones is better than Palm's and they charge accordingly.
    Quote Originally Posted by alxb View Post
    You get what you pay for. The Pre comes free on contract with Bell and Sprint.

I don't think there's any HTC, Blackberry, or iPhones free with contract.

So yeah, you actually are paying more.
    And if you bought it at release or shortly after you would have paid $299 and that was after rebates.
    Really? I would think you need to compare build prices. Pre costs a bit less to build than an iPhone or Nexus One, or Droid. The build quality of those other phones is better than Palm's and they charge accordingly.
    As in my previously comment, Sprint at one time charged for it as their flagship phone. It is cheaper now because of the time it has been out.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I've given some serious thought to getting some people I know in the mechanical engineering department to fabricate new movement parts and a case for the pre then tearing it down and putting the innards of my phone into the new case.

Of course that would be the end of my warranty and I don't trust the internals of the phone to not go out on me in the future... but if I had the money to easily buy a replacement I'd do it. Anyone with money want to try?
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    As in my previously comment, Sprint at one time charged for it as their flagship phone. It is cheaper now because of the time it has been out.
    The iPhone 3G has been out for 2 years and it's still not free with a contract.

Also, at 299 with rebate, the Pre was overpriced at launch, especially considering the build quality back then.
    Nexus One costs $175 to build, Palm Pre costs $135. Droid costs $190. iPhone 3Gs is also $175. That's materials only, of course, for all of those. Yes, the Pre costs less, but not by a whole lot. Verizon sells the Pre for $149 for a new contract, they sell the Droid for $199. Build quality has little to do with cost, the Droid simply costs $40 to make up for the extra manufacturing costs.
    The iPhone 3G has been out for 2 years and it's still not free with a contract.

Also, at 299 with rebate, the Pre was overpriced at launch, especially considering the build quality back then.
    Exactly, so maybe they don't always charge accordingly

and who is to say the iphone 3g isnt overpriced?
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    we need to view palm as a startup. it practically has started from nothing. i'd pay extra, as i feel webos itself is worth an entire iphone.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    All palm pre sprint owners should be giving a discount. the ones that had there phone since release date. i think we help palm out alittle for stickin with palm pre as we watch how other company's got a much better phone. damn that pay alittle more.
    My Pre is almost 10 months old now, no oreo, no cracked screen, no dead pixels, no blown speaker, no faulty keyboard, no nada! Wish I could have said the same for my Blackberry (replaced once in 6 months) or my LG (replaced twice in 12 months). Plus my 2 kids Pre's are going strong too!
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    My Pre is almost 10 months old now, no oreo, no cracked screen, no dead pixels, no blown speaker, no faulty keyboard, no nada! Wish I could have said the same for my Blackberry (replaced once in 6 months) or my LG (replaced twice in 12 months). Plus my 2 kids Pre's are going strong too!
    I've had the opposite experience actually. 2 Pres in the house and both have been replaced for having the power button stop working. My current pre has developed a hair-line crack by the usb port. While I still love my pre, I've had cell phones for about 12 years and never had to have one replaced. My original blackberry from 3 years ago is still in use by my sister.

Everyone has different experiences but I think hardware-wise the pre seems to be on the end of the scale of higher occurrence of hardware issues.
    Guess I had an opposite experience with Blackberry actually, never have another one, hated that phone and the outdated UI.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Guess I had an opposite experience with Blackberry actually, never have another one, hated that phone and the outdated UI.
    When I had my blackberry I loved it, but after WebOS, I'll gladly agree with you about their OS feeling outdated.
    have you all forgotten when we paid 1,000 for a phone, and 25 cents per minute?

I buy thhe insurance, and I'm happy if I get 12 months of use. I have a drawer full of treos. Build quality would impress my iPhone friends, and it could probably help on the retail stores. But, it wouldn't change how useful my phone is now, even made of space-age plastic!
    to be clear, the hardware is as good ans my centro was, and webOS is awesome, treos were sturdier than the centro. But both were fine with me.
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    I wish they'd build something with the Xperia X1 materials.

While WinMo wasn't great (although it still had more options than any other platform at the time), it felt like a great phone. It felt expensive, unlike the Pre. And the slider was awesome too! Super sturdy..

If only we could choose the OS we run on our phones, like PCs.
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    Almost half of respondents so far want a better built Pre and are willing to pay for it; I hope Palm gets the message. Personally I don't understand why people get so hung up on the initial cost of a phone when that is such a small fraction of the total cost of ownership of a cell phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    How much extra r we talkin' about?
    This is a very good question. Here are my answers based on possible meanings of "extra"
    • Extra = $0.01. My answer = absolutely
    • Extra = $30. My answer = maybe
    • Extra = $100. My answer = no

Another good question would be: how much better is the build quality? If the the improved build quality made it impervious to damage from being dropped, then that changes the above answers that I give. In the above, I assume that "better" means that for at least 12 months:
    1. There's no oreo effect
    2. Headphone jack doesn't short
    3. The battery cover doesn't squeak while typing
    4. The USB port cover doesn't break off
    Twitter: dullgeek
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12