Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I realize that there will be bugs still, but has anyone successfully doctored or erased their phone to where it was for the MOST PART bug free? I want to use patches and overclock my Pre and install themes, but my phone is buggy and messed up enough as it is stock with 1.4, so I definitely dont' want to consider hacking it. I have run the scan/repair utility, but I still have problems.

So has anyone figured out a process of doctoring or fully erasing that will make the phone less buggy? I read somewhere else that you need to restore your phone to 1.2 and then run the 1.4 doctor from there. Does this work?
    Yes. I had part of the SMS Tone per Contact patch left over that would NOT let me remove it. So I full erased the phone [Device Info--Restore--Full Erase] then doctored it. All is well.
    Same problem as lael (patch left over), same actions, same conclusion. No problems on 1.4.
    Yes, I doctored back to 1.2.1 then up to 1.4 and things have been pretty good. I still haven't installed Preware on mine yet. I used to have Preware on 1.3.5.1, but it just seems that 1.4 is too fragile, so I've held off.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    When it first came out, someone mentioned doing a full erase, then after everything was set-up, shut down and pull the battery for about 30 sec. That's what I did and mine has been patched, 600mhz, and all removed and is still working as good as it can.
    i did.... mine works great
    I did a full secure erase and doctored to 1.4 and it seems to be bug free now. Well, mostly. I still get the "application updates available" message for no reason (tho this isn't a 1.4 bug), and I get random double spaces when typing. But the resets when trying to wake up the phone and the setup screens in various essential apps (indicating that the phone, or email, or sms, or something has shut off) are gone. And my wifi works again, but didn't at first.

I'm afraid to add preware back since I did after doctoring the first time and had to do it again. I don't know what's not playing nice.
    Unfortunately, 1.4 just has some bugs, whether you upgraded to it, went stock, or full erased, or whatever.

Hopefully 1.4.1 will be out soon enough to squash them.
  9.    #9  
    thanks to everyone for your replies. the main reason i wanted to get my phone hacked again is to run the 800 mhz patch; that's close enough for me to 1ghz and battery life is horrible already so I'm not too worried about that (plus I have a spare battery). i'm going to full erase and then run the 1.4 doctor and see if this helps. i just hope it helps with the pictures being mysteriously deleted when you delete a picture you've taken that you may not like and delete.
    Quote Originally Posted by laelipoo View Post
    Yes. I had part of the SMS Tone per Contact patch left over that would NOT let me remove it. So I full erased the phone [Device Info--Restore--Full Erase] then doctored it. All is well.
    I used this same procedure after having some issues. Even Rod @ webOS Internals couldn't figure out how I could get parts of one patch installed and stuck and parts of another affecting the same area...messaging...also stuck. (I think it was purely talent on my part ) and he's pretty much a genius but this cleaned everything up as much as 1.4 would allow.
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

I doctored straight to 1.4 this weekend. It was getting a bit stuttery (is that a word? ) after I installed the Facebook chat patch. It's running smooth as butta right now. Still not sure if I want to mess with overclocking patches right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrdatrackstar View Post
    I realize that there will be bugs still, but has anyone successfully doctored or erased their phone to where it was for the MOST PART bug free? I want to use patches and overclock my Pre and install themes, but my phone is buggy and messed up enough as it is stock with 1.4, so I definitely dont' want to consider hacking it. I have run the scan/repair utility, but I still have problems.

So has anyone figured out a process of doctoring or fully erasing that will make the phone less buggy? I read somewhere else that you need to restore your phone to 1.2 and then run the 1.4 doctor from there. Does this work?
    I did a full erase, then doctored directly to 1.4. I had one small issue when it first came up, I couldn't connect to the Apps Catalog. I erased the data partition again, and that was solved. I tried that because I had heard of other users having a similar problem when doctoring to other versions, so I don't think it had anything to do directly with doctoring to 1.4
  13.    #13  
    so i erased and then doctored....now i'm getting the application updates bug. add to thtat that I can't even find the auctionmate app in the catalog anymore, and I'm about ready to give up on this thing.

this phone is amazing....it's easy to use, it's fun, has a nice form factor (with questionable hardware), and has the potential to be something great. however, i don't think palm is ever going to capitalize on this phone. if 1.4.1 doesn't fix these ******** bugs....idk.....

i've gone from the pre, to the hero, and back to the pre because the hero was:
    1. TOOOOOOO laggy,
    2. will never have the potential the pre has because of it's dinosaur ancient processor (games, graphics, etc.), and
    3. was basically a beefed up sprint diamond to me with android on top of it (and I still carry my diamond in case something goes wrong with my main phone). still, android is looking so much better everyday, especially because it is sooooo much less buggy and erroneous.

i'm not trying to whine or rant, but just trying to figure out WHY they don't capitalize on the potential of this phone

i'm giving palm until 1.4.1 (maybe even 1.5) comes out, and if the bugs by then are just TOO much to handle then it's back to Best Buy I go for their BuyBack program and just pay the extra 50 for a Hero until the Evo comes out and I can upgrade in December. i REALLY wanted palm to succeed, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen with these problems. i mean, if people who KNOW about the phone and how to fix problems (better than the novice user does) STILL faces problems that they can't find solutions to, how does palm expect people who just want a phone for its "cool factor" (which the pre definitely has) to consider the pre?

sorry for ranting.....
    For all the people that fixed some bugs with the 1.4 doctor did it help with battery usage? that is my biggest issue right now.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by graffix31 View Post
    For all the people that fixed some bugs with the 1.4 doctor did it help with battery usage? that is my biggest issue right now.
    Thanks
    As long as I don't have Instant messaging on I only use about 3-5% an hour of battery.
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by graffix31 View Post
    Thanks

when i got my phone it had 1.2 on it. updated to 1.4 but alot of the sounds didnt work. i didnt do a full erase just doctored it with 1.4 and everything works perfect. at work i have wifi on all the time since i dont have good signal. and my battery is at about 50% when i leave work at 5.
    The first time I upgraded to 1.4 (I actually doctored it to 1.4)I had all sorts of weird stuff going on with my pre, to the point where I wanted to throw it out a window, so I doctored it back to 1.3.5 reinstalled my patches and preware apps, and continued to use my phone, one morning I got notified on my phone that 1.4 had downloaded and was ready to install, I told it to install later, hooked it up to the computer and ran the EPR, removed preware, package manager service, GNU patch, Lsdiff, basically returned my phone to stock, did a backup, then I ran the update, rebooted and I noticed I was missing a couple of my paid apps so I reset the phone with the Erase Apps & Data option, the phone rebooted and I logged on to my Palm account, my apps came back and everything was good, reinstalled the apps and patches I needed and have been running great for a month now without any random restarts or any other weird stuff.
    I just installed the 800 MHz patch and it is running better than ever.
    Did the same here. Full erase from device and then WebDR 1.4. It doesn't fix the various bugs that are embedded in 1.4 but my Pre does run a bit better with a clean install. I also have a ton of patches/tweaks but my Pre still runs fine, most of the time.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  19.    #19  
    the battery life was actually ok for me with 1.4. the battery life of the pre isn't great to begin with (it's 1100 mAH). i can leave AIM on, email set to 1-hour retrieval (both exchange and gmail), auto-locate on (never made a huge difference in battery life to me), and make it home with around 50% (from around 6 in the morning until 5) with NO browser usage; this is also in an area where my signal is either romaing or 1x.

i just found an old doctor file, so I am doctoring to whatever version it is right now. i will then immediately doctor to 1.4 to see if it helps. the speed increase of 1.4, along with the video recording, makes me want to keep 1.4. i pray i can get rid of this application update error bug, so i can run the 800 mhz patch.
  20.    #20  
    well going back 1.2 didnt work either.....still have the updates bug and auctionmate doesn't appear in the catalog
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast