Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Before i begin, first let me say that i LOVE the pre's notification system. IMO it's the best alert/notification system to grace any smartphone. that said, i still think it could use some work. I'm a new pre costumer still learning the wonderful webOS and preware system. What i've noticed so far is the notifications are either deal with it now(tap) or forget about it for hours(swipe away). i constantly swipe away txt and email messages when im busy and completely forget about it. so the end results are ****ed off friends cause i forgot to txt them back or stacking up email. I understand these are not everyone's situations. The solution, is quite simple. a bubble icon with how many messages you have in the app...yes i know that this is the iphone's signature push notifications icon but keep in mind the pre also implements this notification in various apps already. got a voicemail? check your phone's voicemail button. its in pictures,videos,music. it's also in txt and email..only i think it's in the wrong place. which sounds more convenient, having to open your txt messaging app and then see how many unread txt you have or having a small bubble icon on the txt messaging app consolidating your unread messages?. if we had this we wouldnt have to take multiple steps just check if our apps needs updating. it can be implemented in the app catalog and the updates icon letting us know that a new firmware is available. I really dont mind the extra steps. what i need is a little reminder that some apps need my attention.
    Too much work for those who don't need this. Seems cumbersome.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    I get what you're saying but I'm pretty sure Apple have a patent on that specific use of the notifier. I think reminders on the notification area would do the same and stay within Palm's overall UI look and feel.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by solarus View Post
    I get what you're saying but I'm pretty sure Apple have a patent on that specific use of the notifier. I think reminders on the notification area would do the same and stay within Palm's overall UI look and feel.
    doesn't blackberry use the same bubble icon notification for facebook? like i said, the pre already uses these bubble icon notifications...just not where i would like them to be.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    If Apple can patent something like a notification that keeps a running total, then IMHO there is something wrong with US Copyright law.
    No, it doesn't use "those bubble notifications". IN-APP the numbers are displayed, just like you said, but making it possible to show a dynamic icon on the launcher would require a relatively significant rework of the entire UI back-end. For no particularly good reason...

EDIT:
    You do know you can tap out of the notification area to hide it again right? and slide the notifications up and down to sort them yourself?
  7.    #7  
    EDIT:
    You do know you can tap out of the notification area to hide it again right? and slide the notifications up and down to sort them yourself?[/QUOTE]

yea, im aware of that. my problem is my instant reaction is tap or swipe away at the notification.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerealklr View Post
    "... making it possible to show a dynamic icon on the launcher would require a relatively significant rework of the entire UI back-end.
    So you didn't yet notice that the calendar application show the date in the icon ...?! The significant "rework" of the entire UI backend has aparently been done.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    There is an API for changing a launcher icon, but it is not published. It is how the calendar icon changes for the day of the month.
    Most of the apps bundled with WebOS is native as I understand, so looking in the code for the calendar app should reveal at least some/most of the details of this API.
    Quote Originally Posted by cl0ckw0rk View Post
    EDIT:
    You do know you can tap out of the notification area to hide it again right? and slide the notifications up and down to sort them yourself?
    yea, im aware of that. my problem is my instant reaction is tap or swipe away at the notification.
    So you want Palm to redesign their system because of your bad habit?
    Apple is a dame joke nowadays
    instinct used anapp badge on apps with notifications as well so doubt it's copyrighted.
    would like this too, as it can apply to counters other then just notifications such as diet trackers, or other counting apps, or such. However having it as an extra means of notifying wouldn't hurt either. I'd like to see notification sounds handle a bit better. Haven't encountered this yet as I haven't tried any of these things for a while, but previously, when you had multiple notifications come in theyed overlap rather then stop the previous and start the next sound. Also before the official messaging sound option, you had to pick a short tone because there was no way to stop long ones, then they added official support which clipped after 5 seconds. From what I've read, that has not changed and should. The user should decide how long they want their messaging tone to laert them for and clicking on the messagin app, it's notification, or swiping it off should dismiss the sound. Also, since IM and text are combined, I think the IM should be limited to 5 seconds As those come in much faster and less separated.
    I think it would be easier to just have a notification history app.
    Quote Originally Posted by wormdood View Post
    There is an API for changing a launcher icon, but it is not published. It is how the calendar icon changes for the day of the month.
    This is proof that the opp's requst can be filled.
    Global Posts
    189 Global Posts
    What I think would be nicer, is in addition to having notifications the way we have them, we leech a little from android, and have a central location storing all notifications or whatever. Maybe an app that can stay running in the background that auto pulls notifications as they come and locks em into this app. When you open the Notifications app you see all the stuff, most recent to older(set a time on how long to store them).
    Does anyone know how to enable sound for receipt of an SMS message?
    Quote Originally Posted by autodidact View Post
    So you didn't yet notice that the calendar application show the date in the icon ...?! The significant "rework" of the entire UI backend has aparently been done.
    that's exactly what i was thinking. just like the calendar app we should have the email app icon and messaging app icon have a little number in it that changes. Granted i didn't think about nor missed it till the OP brought it up because i just minimize the notification until I'm ready to reply. Plus with the delete from notification patch i barely have to open the email app anyways. then again everyone uses webOS device differently which is what makes it so great.
    The Agenda app by Brian A. Haeffner also seem to use the mentioned API. Maybe a patch-app could do this for other applications - if it could access necessary data from their storage/db.

And that suggested "notification history" app sounds like something many could be in need of ...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast