Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jrdejavux View Post
    I doubt palm will do that! they are broke.
    There's a big difference between "business broke" and "you and me the general public" broke. Palm could easily file Chapter 11 and reorganize, put out a new piece of hardware with WebOS on it, and become fully solvent again. They're not broke to the point of going out of business anytime soon, stock is still trading (if you follow that stuff), phones are still selling, carriers are still picking up the product. Palm's also got $590 mil cash on hand, not including profits from sales. If anything, Palm's in a better position business-wise (not just stock performance, again.......get that out of your head, stock is nothing but a public thermometer, not a true sign of how any given company is performing) than it was a year ago. They tripled their finanical holdings just from August to November of last year. Long term debt is only $388 mil, as long as they keep meeting their financial obligations, they're not going to just roll over and disappear next week.

Doom and gloom ain't gonna do a thing. Don't forget, Apple wasn't in any better of a position in 1996, Wall Street and investors were writing them off, even though they had money in the bank. Can't really argue that they've gone out of business, can you...........the only true reason their even still alive was the iPod, which hit just at the right time, with the right mix of features, and a whole lot of viral advertising.
    Last edited by fussnfeathers; 03/25/2010 at 07:23 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by fussnfeathers View Post
    There's a big difference between "business broke" and "you and me the general public" broke. Palm could easily file Chapter 11 and reorganize, put out a new piece of hardware with WebOS on it, and become fully solvent again. They're not broke to the point of going out of business anytime soon, stock is still trading (if you follow that stuff), phones are still selling, carriers are still picking up the product. Palm's also got $590 mil cash on hand, not including profits from sales. If anything, Palm's in a better position business-wise (not just stock performance, again.......get that out of your head, stock is nothing but a public thermometer, not a true sign of how any given company is performing) than it was a year ago. They tripled their finanical holdings just from August to November of last year.
    You're looking at their numbers the wrong way, my friend. The stock still trading is a meaningless metric. The phones are selling LESS and LESS with each quarter, despite them offering more phones to sell and more carriers to sell it to. Carriers "picking up the product" is also a meaningless metric, especially when they pull a Verizon and kneecap it in favor of their flagship smartphones. The cash on hand is more than accounted for by impending and future financial obligations/debt.

It's interesting that you think them in a "better" position than they were a year ago. Back then, they had an impending launch of a hot product, mindshare up the yin yang, and most importantly, about 500K less units of inventory gathering dust in warehouses and store shelves.

In fact, they soldthrough roughly 80k MORE units - keep in mind that these are all PalmOS devices sold after the announcement of WebOS and the Pre - in the corresponding quarter a year ago than they did this quarter.

Doom and gloom ain't gonna do a thing. Don't forget, Apple wasn't in any better of a position in 1996, Wall Street and investors were writing them off, even though they had money in the bank. Can't really argue that they've gone out of business, can you...........the only true reason their even still alive was the iPod, which hit just at the right time, with the right mix of features, and a whole lot of viral advertising.
    No pun intended, but that's apples and oranges. The iMac was actually the first shot in the arm, but even with the iPod, Apple made their mark with unique form factors and configurations (e.g. all-in-one desktop, MP3 player with a big scroll wheel) that very few major companies were competing against. Contrast that with the smartphone market, where every US carrier has a "hero" device, and the giants of the computing world - Google, Apple, and Microsoft - are all throwing billions into competing with very similar form factors and price points to what Palm offers. It's been made patently obvious from sales that WebOS and a gesture area are not differentiating features on the same scale as those Apple successes.
    Quote Originally Posted by illskill View Post
    this surprises you? The EVO touts new services and much better hardware... Technology keeps moving forward wether you like it or not... It seems like some of you forget that these phones and services are all part of a for profit business, I dont think sprint threw anyone under a bus... hopefully plams next device will be able to compete with the competition if not i guess it sucks to be palm...
    Well it has the snapdragon which is already out on the Nexus. It has a non-standard size screen so forget about porting iphone games, and has the same amount of Ram as the Pre Plus which is already out. Ok ok it has 4G that no one uses yet and will probably take about 5 years to be fully implemented. Better camera and video. To me this is not revolutionary but evolutionary. Just another phone to fragment the already fragmented android OS on multiple hardware configs. Why would a developer write for the EVO when non of the other phones would be able to run the software? Hmmm lets see... a few million older android phones vs a brand new release phone. At least Palm is staying consistent.. easy to port iphone games and apps.. same resolution so no changes there but still powerful cpu. I won't get the EVO... i'll wait a few years to see if the software actually takes advantage of the hardware.
    I agree we don't need 1000s of fart apps, but can't help but feel slightly constipated with only 10.
    Palm does not have enough cash to compete head on with its competitors. Palm took major shortcuts in terms of build quality with the Pre. This has cost them dearly.
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    I have to agree with Weaser especially on the fragmentation issue. While I think the EVO is a great phone and part of Apple's reasoning for suing everybody. What has yet to be seen is OS updates. If I buy a phone that is not directly from Google how long will it take that "non-google" stamped phone to get the latest update. I have a hard time buying a phone that could potentially have capable hardware but be six to twelve months behind in its software evolution. Palm definitely has its issues, but at least systems updates are regular and Palm seems to go out of its way to ensure updates reach everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    Well it has the snapdragon which is already out on the Nexus. It has a non-standard size screen so forget about porting iphone games, and has the same amount of Ram as the Pre Plus which is already out. Ok ok it has 4G that no one uses yet and will probably take about 5 years to be fully implemented. Better camera and video. To me this is not revolutionary but evolutionary. Just another phone to fragment the already fragmented android OS on multiple hardware configs. Why would a developer write for the EVO when non of the other phones would be able to run the software? Hmmm lets see... a few million older android phones vs a brand new release phone. At least Palm is staying consistent.. easy to port iphone games and apps.. same resolution so no changes there but still powerful cpu. I won't get the EVO... i'll wait a few years to see if the software actually takes advantage of the hardware.
    Huh?

Almost all current gen Android phones have a resolution in the 800/854x400/480, and since they're the best sellers, almost all Android apps are being updated to run at the resolution.

Not sure why people are thirsting for iPhone games being ported. If I was so hot for iPhone games, I would buy an iPhone (actually, I did buy an iPod Touch, but it's for my wife, and I'm more than happy to keep it that way). Android has some nice arcade-ish games of its own, but there will be many more on the way. Either way, gaming going to be a primary, secondary, or even tertiary concern for myself or most buyers (see Droid selling 1 million units in 60 days).

There are really two main Android specs: 480x320 528mhz lower-range units or 800x400 Snapdragon hero phones. You will find aberrations here and there that have an odd resolution or use the same processor as the Pixi, but for the most part, there are two Android "guts" specs, and they each correspond to a generation of the OS. The different screen sizes is irrelevant.

Meanwhile, do you truly believe Palm is keeping things consistent? The Pre runs plenty of programs and services the Pixi can't. If Palm releases a new top-notch device, it'll likely have a higher resolution than 480x320 and much more powerful hardware. And even among the same model (Pre), the different amounts of RAM can make the difference between running 3D games easily, and having to reset multiple times to run one.
    Quote Originally Posted by qst4 View Post
    I have to agree with Weaser especially on the fragmentation issue. While I think the EVO is a great phone and part of Apple's reasoning for suing everybody. What has yet to be seen is OS updates. If I buy a phone that is not directly from Google how long will it take that "non-google" stamped phone to get the latest update. I have a hard time buying a phone that could potentially have capable hardware but be six to twelve months behind in its software evolution. Palm definitely has its issues, but at least systems updates are regular and Palm seems to go out of its way to ensure updates reach everyone.
    Google updates definitely lag those of Palm, and having used both OSes extensively, I am very, very glad that they do.

Palm just throws updates out there, and almost always has to throw on an immediate patch to that update. They change the behavior of the web browser and garbage collector at will (Remember having to tap 20 times to get a web link to open?), so you never really know what you're getting in a given update until you install it. And they seem to get buggier as they go along. The bug list posted on the main page regarding 1.4 is off the charts!

Android updates are substantial and pretty well tested. The individual manufacturer like HTC may throw out a maintenance update or two to make sure it works great with their custom UIs, but otherwise, they bring it.

I would love to receive updates for any OS with the frequency of Palm updates, but I'd prefer that they be more thought out and well-executed.
    I'm a proud Palm Pre owner (bought it launch day), and a big supporter. But just as Engadget did, sometimes friends have to give sobering thoughts. And I'm sorry folks, but t's time to stop feeling sorry for Palm. Their failure with the first-gen launch of WebOS is their OWN, not carriers, users, etc:

1) They chose to go with Sprint exclusive and therefore miss the Verizon flagship smartphone window (that was gobbled up by the Droid) - it is obvious that they would have sold tons of phones here. Ditto for getting it onto AT&T as soon as possible.

2) They chose the creepy zen Borg lady as the face of their marketing. It was Sprint who actually put reasonable commercials on the air showing people multitasking, etc. Now Palm has finally got their adds straight and has a good slogan/marketing campaign going.

3) They decided to create the Pixi, which really is kind of stuck in no-man's land hardware wise at this point.

4) They went with a design and manufacturing strategy that produced buggy and failing hardware where users had to return multiple phones for things like headset jacks, oreo, etc - I mean this is just unacceptable.

So truthfully, the blame is squarely on them.

Now they have to create a piece of hardware to match the greatness of WebOS for a summer launch on ALL the major carriers. We'll see if they can pull it off.
    I am not sure about this EVO being so great. It doesn't launch until this summer. Who knows what will come out in the meantime. It would have been perfect if they launched it this week. But 4 months away this phone might be a gimmick phone compared to what comes out. Just two months ago the Nexus One was the new standard. Now the EVO. Nothing will stop apple from making a 4g phone.
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    @Mikah, I appreciate that you and others have had issues with WebOS updates, but my point was more to the fact that the WebOS family is evolved together, whether its forward or backward evolution is up for debate, as I and many others haven't experienced significant issues with the updates. I feel that this characteristic of WebOS and even the iphone's OS creates a distinct advantage and allows for better OS management across platforms. In my decision to try Android, part of my reasoning for going with a Nexus One was my feeling that the updates would come sooner, allowing the phone to have a longer lifecycle. I'm sure other consumers will make the same calculation regarding the EVO.
    @Mikah, I appreciate that you and others have had issues with WebOS updates, but my point was more to the fact that the WebOS family is evolved together, whether its forward or backward evolution is up for debate, as I and many others haven't experienced significant issues with the updates.
    http://www.precentral.net/attack-bugs-webos-14

"I and many others" have experienced update issues. Not just with 1.4 either.

The unity of evolution ends where specs differ. 'Tis the same for any platform. Just as WebOS users are free to grab unofficial patches and install PreWare, Android users can grab ROMs and use virtually any flavor of Android they choose.

I feel that this characteristic of WebOS and even the iphone's OS creates a distinct advantage and allows for better OS management across platforms. In my decision to try Android, part of my reasoning for going with a Nexus One was my feeling that the updates would come sooner, allowing the phone to have a longer lifecycle. I'm sure other consumers will make the same calculation regarding the EVO.
    I dunno. As I said, it didn't seem to slow Droid sales down. Doesn't seem to stop every carrier except for AT&T from making an Android device their flagship.

As I said, I like Palm's model better than Android's - in concept. In execution, the disadvantages of having an onslaught of updates from such a tiny company that is still learning to utilize the hardware of the device have become painfully apparent.
    The OP needs to hurry up and buy his EVO that he's been posting about in the last 2 days all over this forum with dramatic titles and all and leave us alone.
    Sprint did not throw Palm under the bus. Palm walked right out into the street and waved good by without any help from anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    So much for Palm helping bring Sprint into the smartphone arena.
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    @mikah Really? You are blowing my comments completely out of proportion. In regards to the EVO I said "Other" consumers", did not put a number on it. Other could just be me and one other person, though I know there are more than that. Do you really think I'm that stupid to not recognize the success of Droid sales? I'm not sure what the link is for. In my experience and "others" (did not say everyone else) I haven't had to apply any of the "fixes" and I've experienced none of the listed bugs. And to be frank, this site really only involves a very limited population so I would have valid issue with any PreCentral poll results.
    @mikah Really? You are blowing my comments completely out of proportion. In regards to the EVO I said "Other" consumers", did not put a number on it. Other could just be me and one other person, though I know there are more than that. Do you really think I'm that stupid to not recognize the success of Droid sales? I'm not sure what the link is for. In my experience and "others" (did not say everyone else) I haven't had to apply any of the "fixes" and I've experienced none of the listed bugs. And to be frank, this site really only involves a very limited population so I would have valid issue with any PreCentral poll results.
    I don't see how I'm blowing anything out of proportion. Just simply substantiating that patch update issues are a fairly widespread phenomenon, hence the hasty patch-to-the-patches that Palm puts out along. Of course, YMMV.

I'm not here to shill for Android. I do really enjoy WebOS even in its current state, and I will likely continue to use a Pre as my daily device until the official Sprint 2.1 update hits for the Hero. Maybe I won't even bother, and will sell both to offset the cost of the EVO or maybe even a Windows Phone 7 handset. I'm a long ways off from making up my mind there.

But sometimes people on this site spread a pretty one-dimensional and misleading concept of Android (e.g. "It's got a gazillion different hardware configs!""It doesn't really multitask"), so I just weigh-in wherever I think what they have to say is off.

It's a nice OS just as WebOS is, and they each have their advantages and disadvantages. As I would tell a prospective buyer unfamiliar with each, try it for yourself, then make up your own mind.
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geeksquadkid View Post
    ummm.. It has gps... /fail on you...
    The EVO FAILED first... No WebOS. That says it all. Also, Virtual keyboards are a nightmare to me. I want buttons not just some hit and miss virtual keyboard unless you have a robot with one finger to push the buttons for you like in the Droid commercial.
    Last edited by PreMium; 03/25/2010 at 11:45 AM.
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    @Mikah Perhaps I should have a thicker skin. However, understand my original comment was not meant to say I knew the extent of the issues or overall consumer behavior, just that "some" will find an advantage in buying a phone directly from Google and that there are plenty of users, regardless of your poll which I find somewhat suspect, who are not experiencing the issues listed in the poll. Your response seemed to indicate that somehow I had stated or was trying to imply no one was having issues and that no one will buy the EVO because it is not a Google phone, which everyone knows neither statements are the case. I just don't understand why is it necessary to "dirty up" even the smallest praise of the Pre. We may not like having to have a x.x.1 update, but for me, I would be even more upset if I were still using Android 1.5 or 1.6, when 2.1 has been out since January and my phone could potentially be easily by upgraded to 2.1.
    No harm done, sir.

When I was using the Hero as my day-to-day device, I could've rooted it and thrown on 2.1 ROM or custom ROM with 2.1 features and lots more on at any time. I just didn't bother for the same reason I only run one patch on the Pre: I'm not much of a tinkerer when it comes to my phone.

Resetting, doctoring, rebooting, re-ROM-ing...whatever...they all take up valuable time I could really use doing other stuff. But that's available to most Android users.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathanlc2005 View Post
    since HTC is coming out with the EVO I'm hoping palm hurries up and comes out with the palm impreza STI edition. Then blackberry skyline and the motorola hemi. Samsung Z edition.

lol heres hoping for a M edition phone built by BMW.
    haha win!
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast