Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi guys,

I'm switching carriers and going off Sprint. Basically I love the palm pre, I love webOS, I'd keep it if I could, but I used 10 minutes this month from the 700 minutes or so I have. Not even sure about that. Previous months never went past 20 minutes. I would be better off with a prepaid account or something. The internet is nice, but more of a luxury.

Now here's where I need your valuable input. What should I do with my pre? Verizon/Sprint are offering it pretty cheap these days, and walmart even has it or the pixi for free. What's the best way to sell this thing?

Also without service/data is there anyways I can salvage the phone as a PDA somehow? Probably not right since webOS is 99.999% in the cloud (wifi maybe?)

Thanks guys, I'll probably return someday when my life gets busier and I need more minutes/data, but for now this is going to save me several hundred a year.
    Isn't there a buy/sell/trade section in the forums here?
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    you should keep it, it was inspired off of a rock, so it will make a good paper weight for you.
    You can still use the Pre over wifi. You can do everything besides make phone calls, send/recieve texts, and use carrier apps (like Sprint TV). I've been using mine like this since November and haven't had a single problem. One thing to point out is that you'll need a modded WebOS Doctor if something gets screwed up. The App Catalog and OTA Updates still function perfectly as well.
  5.    #5  
    WOW! Thanks man this is great news. I spent 50 bucks on the extended battery so I didn't want to have to sell this thing, also I put a lot of work into it.

Anyways, wifi FTW. Thanks again.

I'll check out that buy/sell/forum too.
    Quote Originally Posted by kaitou kid View Post
    WOW! Thanks man this is great news. I spent 50 bucks on the extended battery so I didn't want to have to sell this thing, also I put a lot of work into it.

Anyways, wifi FTW. Thanks again.

I'll check out that buy/sell/forum too.
    I forgot to mention that the best way to run it is in Airplane Mode with Wifi on. My battery life using this setup is amazing and I'm still using the stock battery...
    Now when you say 10 and 20 minutes is that the total? Or is that the usage? You are aware that Sprint plans don't charge or count all cellphone to cellphone minutes? There is a possibility that you think you don't need the extra minutes and it just turns out you do consume alot more than would be reasonable for a pre-paid phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    You can still use the Pre over wifi. You can do everything besides make phone calls, send/recieve texts, and use carrier apps (like Sprint TV). I've been using mine like this since November and haven't had a single problem. One thing to point out is that you'll need a modded WebOS Doctor if something gets screwed up. The App Catalog and OTA Updates still function perfectly as well.
    SprintTV isn't available through wifi, unless there's a patch I'm unaware of.
    Also while you still have an active phone, set up Google Voice with it. I'm pretty sure there is a way to send and receive text messages over wifi with GV. I may be wrong though as I haven't tried that out yet. You may also be able to check your GV voicemail over wifi as well. I'm sure someone more familiar with this service will chime in here with some info.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    SprintTV isn't available through wifi, unless there's a patch I'm unaware of.
    I guess my wording wasn't too clear. I meant that you can't use Sprint TV without Sprint service.
    Some people have reported success activating a Sprint Pre on Boost Mobile Prepaid since it's owned by Sprint... I think it comes down mostly to who you get on the phone when you try.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    This is one of the reasons I'm jealous of GSM phones. People I know are constnatly trying each others phones by swapping SIMs and have drawers of extra lines. But CDMA is a pain. (I know, you can do an ESN swap online)

Anyway, I guess there's going to be a flood of Pre's on ebay in June when I expect a few eligible contenders (maybe even Pre2) hit the market so if people are planning on selling then maybe they should dump it early. That's what I did with my TouchPro.
  13.    #13  
    yeah this is total minutes. I used zero anytime minutes and the 10-20 minutes per month were all from mobile-to-mobile and weekend minutes. I think I used like 2-5 anytime minutes a few times. But still, this will be much cheaper.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    This is one of the reasons I'm jealous of GSM phones. People I know are constnatly trying each others phones by swapping SIMs and have drawers of extra lines. But CDMA is a pain. (I know, you can do an ESN swap online)

Anyway, I guess there's going to be a flood of Pre's on ebay in June when I expect a few eligible contenders (maybe even Pre2) hit the market so if people are planning on selling then maybe they should dump it early. That's what I did with my TouchPro.
    hmm yes, I looked on ebay and people are selling their Sprint pres for over 200 bucks in some cases.

Radio shack (or I guess now the SHACK) is willing to give me 130 bucks for my phone and charger...WHAT TO DO!?!?
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I've had good success reselling phones on ebay. Although I can tell ya the last time I sold something on ebay I got hit with a huge amount of fees and cuts. A 260 dollar sale ended up netting me 220. Ebay ain't what it used to be.

It helps of course if your phone is in good condition. Also, the demand for the pre may be dwindling as someone else mentioned so if you do sell it the sooner the better I would say.

Makes me wonder what I would do with mine if I decide to move on... As far as paperweights I'd say the Pre would be quite elegant.
    I wouldn't have bought the Pre if it weren't for the Meta-Doctor.

I was lucky and actually managed to get my Pre for $250, which includes 3 months of service! All I can say is.. "Thanks Sprint for increasing my monthly fees after only 2 months of service!"

But there's really no benefit for me to get rid of this phone whatsoever. I'll always be able to use it for something. Standalone GPS, for example. WiFi for Internet Browsing, Email. Heck, even internet radio! Gaming. You name it.

I bought a Nintento DS & CycloDS cartridge, so that I could try all the NDS roms. Basically... Any game on the Pre beats every game on DS (except New Super Mario Bros). So, if anything... the DS is going before the Pre. Lemme just put it to you like that. The games that are available on the Pre blow the DS and PSP to shizzereens.

But yea... how much does a lightweight Internet Radio cost?? ... one with touchscreen and built-in speaker? ... one with as gooda sound quality as the Pre, no less?
    I'd modify it for non-phone use. Sure, you can sell it back to Sprint (which is what I would do if I wanted a surefire way to get the money), or put it up on Fleabay. You'd likely get more money that way, but it might take you forever. I've got my old Treos set up as music/ebook/audio book/movie doohickeys for my mom, they work great for that. Once I can figure out why the heck the 800w connects to wifi, but won't actually work, she can even get app updates and listen to 'net radio through Pocket Tunes.
    Be sure you NEVER EVER do a partial erase or full erase!!
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    Standalone GPS
    I don't believe you can use navigation apps without a data connection because that type of software usually pulls its maps and other resources from the internet. I suppose you could use a MiFi or something, but that isn't really saving money and would be a pretty stupid idea.

Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    I bought a Nintento DS & CycloDS cartridge, so that I could try all the NDS roms. Basically... Any game on the Pre beats every game on DS (except New Super Mario Bros). So, if anything... the DS is going before the Pre. Lemme just put it to you like that. The games that are available on the Pre blow the DS and PSP to shizzereens.
    That's a pretty absurd statement. I love the Pre, too, but those are dedicated gaming consoles. They have controls and games that take a considerable amount of time and money to be made. Okay, so the PSP is lame and its games match accordingly, but the DS is far superior at mobile gaming than the Pre. Believing otherwise is simply foolish unless you just happen to be a huge fan of sudoku, badly designed puzzle games, and ports of games from Facebook and the iPhone. Obviously I don't think that every DS game available is a triple-A title, but at least it doesn't take less than one hand to count the ones it does have unlike our little rascals.

For the record I haven't owned a DS in several years (Phantom Hourglass was just about to come out when I sold it like a moron), but I do know that I have only one game installed on my Pre (Classic Solitaire). :P

But yea... how much does a lightweight Internet Radio cost?? ... one with touchscreen and built-in speaker? ... one with as gooda sound quality as the Pre, no less?[/QUOTE]
    It's about $200 for a portable internet radio, with wifi. Slacker makes one for less, but it's just 15 stations. $5 a month for a subscription to use it. Slacker G2 portable is a good one, but also $200 plus montly charges. 25 stations.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast