Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by nbmatt View Post
    I don't believe you can use navigation apps without a data connection because that type of software usually pulls its maps and other resources from the internet. I suppose you could use a MiFi or something, but that isn't really saving money and would be a pretty stupid idea.
    Well... belief doesn't have anything to do with reality. It can and HAS been done. Have to use certain tools to enable standalone GPS. Then get MapTool & JTileDownloader to assemble your maps!

Quote Originally Posted by nbmatt View Post
    IThat's a pretty absurd statement. I love the Pre, too, but those are dedicated gaming consoles. They have controls and games that take a considerable amount of time and money to be made. Okay, so the PSP is lame and its games match accordingly, but the DS is far superior at mobile gaming than the Pre. Believing otherwise is simply foolish unless you just happen to be a huge fan of sudoku, badly designed puzzle games, and ports of games from Facebook and the iPhone. Obviously I don't think that every DS game available is a triple-A title, but at least it doesn't take less than one hand to count the ones it does have unlike our little rascals.

For the record I haven't owned a DS in several years (Phantom Hourglass was just about to come out when I sold it like a moron), but I do know that I have only one game installed on my Pre (Classic Solitaire). :P
    There's nothing absurd about the statement. Like I said... I have a CycloDS and EVERY game ever released for the DS (as of ~16 months ago), as well as A TON of gameboy games, GBA games, NES games, Genesis games, all on the same microSD cad inside the CycloDS flashcart.

Even with ALL THOSE GAMES... If I were forced to go on an island with only 1 DS and 1 Pre... and the DS came with 32 gb worth of games on it, and the Pre only had ONE game (like Glyder or Asphalt5, for example)... I'd definitely pick the Pre.

The accelerometers ARE controls. They engage you IN the game. Like in Glyder... you actually feel like you're flying. Something that the Wii can't even do as well. Devices like the Pre/iPhone are even more engaging than the Wii! Yes, I said it. Accelerometers and the screen right in your face = better gameplay.

Apparently you're not aware of the games available for webOS...

- Glyder2
    - How to Train Your Dragon
    - X-Plane Airliner
    - X-Plane Carrier
    - X-Plane 9
    - X-Plane Glider
    - X-Plane Racing
    - X-Plane Helicopter
    - X-Plane Extreme
    - Space Shuttle
    - Giant Fighting Robots
    - Asphalt 5
    - Need For Speed Undercover
    - Gangstar: West Coast Hustle
    - Modern Combat: Sandstorm
    - Brothers In Arms: Hour of Heroes
    - Assassin' Creed: Altair's Chronicles
    - Super KO Boxing! 2
    - Earthworm Jim
    - Dungeon Hunter
    - Hero of Sparta
    - Castle of Magic
    - The Sims 3
    - Deer Hunter 3D
    - Let's Golf
    - NFL 2010
    - Real Tennis
    - Real Soccer 2010

Any of those that use the accelerometer are, without a doubt, better than any other dedicated console with "controls".

And let me reiterate that ALL those games I have on my CycloDS, including the DS games... I got for FREE. I would still prefer to pay for these 3D games on the Pre with larger touchscreen and accelerometer (i.e. - REAL controls). That's how good some of them are (specifically Aphalt 5 and Glyder2; haven't paid for any other games yet, tho i'll get there soon enough).
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    The accelerometers ARE controls. They engage you IN the game. Like in Glyder... you actually feel like you're flying. Something that the Wii can't even do as well. Devices like the Pre/iPhone are even more engaging than the Wii! Yes, I said it. Accelerometers and the screen right in your face = better gameplay.
    LOL......................................Glyder. Don't get me wrong, it looks like a great game, but I've been in the backseat of an F15D a few times. No way in heck is a Pre game, or any game, for that matter, going to even come close to that.
    Lemme put it to you like this.

My dad has been a pilot for 40 somethin' years. He's flown helicopters in Vietnam, small Cessnas, private jets, and he's now a flight instructor for Southwest, training guys to fly Boeing 747s.

Personally, I'm not big into flight sims... But...

GLYDER2 IS MY FAVORITE GAME OF ALL TIME.

It's just flat-out, clean fun. No controls other than swooping, ducking, dipping, tucking, & rolling. Or something like that. Easily the best $3 I've ever spent in my entire life.
    I'll try it. Not much of a flight sim guy myself, mostly because I know I'd go whole-hog into it if I did like it that much............I did love the flying aspect of SWG, that's a big reason why I kept playing the game. Design, buy, build, fly, figure out what didn't work after you scraped yourself off Kashyyk, try again.
    Quote Originally Posted by fussnfeathers View Post
    Design, buy, build, fly, figure out what didn't work after you scraped yourself off Kashyyk, try again.
    And that's why I like Asphalt 5 so much... gotta build your own rides and gradually build your collection of rides. You really feel like you're driving the car, too! And the boost going up the ramps.... just wow.

Asphalt 5 is probly a better game overall, but I just personally love Glyder for some reason... mostly its simplicity, I guess. I can just daydream while gliding.

Got a few minutes to waste? Those two games will set you straight until your peeps in the real world start telling you to WAKE UP!!

Those are the only two 3D games I've purchased so far (have Gangstar Free... might get it later). And those two 3D games are just "WOW!" I really don't know any other way to put it. Everybody should have Glyder2 and Asphalt 5. All there is to it.

After playing both of those games... I understand what the Cherokee meant when they said, "Today is a good day to die."

OK, they're not better than living. But they're the best games I've ever come across -- period -- and they fit in my phone, no less!!

I really should try the other 3D games out, but I don't think they are primarily accelerometer like the two games I'm raving about right now. Well, the X-Planes & "How To Train Your Dragon" are, but Glyder is the only flying game I'll ever need... until Glyder3 comes along, of course.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12