Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1.    #1  
    About a year ago I moved to an area where Sprint signal is alomst non-existant. I was ready to switch to Verizon until I discovered the "Roam Only" option. Using the "Roam Only" I get great service and no dropped calls.

    I just got my bill and I was shocked. I had ~ $140 in extra charges. I am on the Everything Data Share 1500 plan where I get 1500 minutes to landlines and unlimited cell to cell.

    I have a lot of overage (40 cents / minute)

    "01/20 10:40 AM Unavailable Incoming AM/PU 5"

    As a matter of fact EVERY incoming call is from "unavailable" and is counted against my minutes. I am 100% positive that 90% of my incoming calls are from cell phones.

    I called billing and they are going to look into it for me.

    Is this normal with the "roam only" active?
  2. #2  
    if more than half of your plan minutes are used while roaming, youll get charged for them.

    they might offer you an Airave as part of the solution, but that will only help you out at home.

    otherwise, you might be able to get out of your contract without penalty due to that much lack of coverage.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by rsoby2112 View Post
    As a matter of fact EVERY incoming call is from "unavailable" and is counted against my minutes. I am 100% positive that 90% of my incoming calls are from cell phones.
    Anymobile to anymobile only applies while in NATIVE sprint coverage. If you are outside the Sprint Network, that comes out of your pool of minutes.
  4. #4  
    From Sprint's website

    Any Mobile, Anytime: Applies when directly dialing/receiving standard voice calls between domestic wireless numbers as determined when the call is placed using independent third-party and Sprint databases. Available with select Sprint plans and while on the Nationwide Sprint or Nextel National Networks (excludes voicemail, 411 and other indirect methods).
    I use roam only patch while at work. I mostly text so for my use it isn't a big deal. If I do make calls while roam is on they come out of my normal pool of minutes - Everything Data 900
    Last edited by fastamx79; 03/24/2010 at 02:49 PM. Reason: added info
  5. #5  
    haha nice picture of the "too many cards" error with no apps running
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    haha nice picture of the "too many cards" error with no apps running
    heheheheh

    Not a doctored pic either! That was taken under 1.3.5.1
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    otherwise, you might be able to get out of your contract without penalty due to that much lack of coverage.
    I already have the green light to go but Verizon is about $70 more per month (2 phones) and through Sprint I get a new phone every year rather then every 2 years.

    Obviously I cant keep using roam only because it will kill my bill. I'm confused.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by rsoby2112 View Post
    I already have the green light to go but Verizon is about $70 more per month (2 phones) and through Sprint I get a new phone every year rather then every 2 years.

    Obviously I cant keep using roam only because it will kill my bill. I'm confused.
    what are you confused about?

    and you can get new phones every year through Verizon.
  9. jaywaller's Avatar
    Posts
    35 Posts
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    #9  
    I'm doing this now. I haven't had an outrageous bill yet. but I pay per minute through a corp plan. .05 cents a minute.
  10. awrnsmn's Avatar
    Posts
    646 Posts
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    #10  
    airave!!
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by rsoby2112 View Post
    I already have the green light to go but Verizon is about $70 more per month (2 phones) and through Sprint I get a new phone every year rather then every 2 years.

    Obviously I cant keep using roam only because it will kill my bill. I'm confused.
    Sprint may offer you an Airave, but that will only help at home. But since there is no Sprint coverage in your area, you pretty much have to switch to a different carrier.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Sprint may offer you an Airave, but that will only help at home. But since there is no Sprint coverage in your area, you pretty much have to switch to a different carrier.
    Agreed. If there is no Sprint coverage in that area Sprint won't give you an Airave.

    Just gotta bite the bullet and switch providers if coverage is poor. If not you will keep getting high bills until Sprint kicks you off for excessive roaming.
  13. #13  
    I have no coverage in my area and I use the Roaming only patch and my bill has never been charged but if I call anyone other than a sprint customer they take the minutes out of my 450 anytime mintues.

    You might wanna look into the unlimted everyting plan then you would have to worry about anything.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by TNONI78 View Post
    I have no coverage in my area and I use the Roaming only patch and my bill has never been charged but if I call anyone other than a sprint customer they take the minutes out of my 450 anytime mintues.

    You might wanna look into the unlimted everyting plan then you would have to worry about anything.
    All Sprint plans have the same conditions. If over half of minutes used are roaming, Sprint will charge you. Same goes for data, and that gets very expensive very quick.

    Besides, why would a carrier let you have a contract if you roam the whole time? It costs Sprint money to allow it's customers to roam on Verizon.
  15. #15  
    Remember when roaming even after 7pm and on weekends those minutes come out of your anytime minutes.
  16. #16  
    If you say so. Never has affected me. Guess I am just lucky.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by TNONI78 View Post
    If you say so. Never has affected me. Guess I am just lucky.
    it has nothing to do with luck if you're only using <225 minutes a month while roaming.
  18. #18  
    gabbott is correct. Roaming doesn't come off your free nights and weekends, it comes off your actual plan minutes. Nights and Weekends apply only to in-network coverage. Likewise, Mobile to Mobile has to have your call coming from within the Sprint coverage network. If you're roaming on Verizon, and place a call to another mobile phone, you will be charged for those minutes.

    Time to make a change to a carrier with coverage for you.......you're going to get hit with all sorts of roaming fees, no matter who you call or when. Just bear in mind that if you switch to Verizon, your free mobile to mobile is to Verizon phones only, and only while in Verizon coverage areas. If you have a bunch of clients or whatnot that use T-Mobile, Sprint, ATT or whoever, you'll be charged for those calls. Sprint just has the lead by allowing you to call anybody with a cell.
    Last edited by fussnfeathers; 03/24/2010 at 10:28 PM.

Posting Permissions