Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    no 4G Palm device, will you still consider it a competition? Any device with no 4G capability from now on is a complete fail. what ya think?
    I would say it depends on the 4G deployment model. It is not available everywhere, yet. So if it took two years to get widespread, then a 3G phone is viable.

However, even if your service area didn't have 4G, there is something in the consumers mind that says, "but I have 4G" even though they can't use it.

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
    Front facing camera would be worthless without 4g. And being in a non 4g market, I could care less if palm supports it or not. I probably wouldn't want the extra cost even if I could get 4g.
    Palm is going to have to release the most beautiful phone EVER!!! for me to consider them over the Supersonic.

HONESTLY, Im sure Palm has their new Palm WebOS handset ready...and Im willing to bet that it does not match up to the Supersonic. Palm just doesnt have it in them...
    Quote Originally Posted by LACienega View Post
    Palm is going to have to release the most beautiful phone EVER!!! for me to consider them over the Supersonic.

HONESTLY, Im sure Palm has their new Palm WebOS handset ready...and Im willing to bet that it does not match up to the Supersonic. Palm just doesnt have it in them...
    It's not that Palm doesn't have it in them, it's that the Supersonic has been under development for quite some time. Also, the Supersonic is running a seasoned OS (Android) as opposed to Palm having to start from the ground up.

On the hw side, Palm doesn't have an excuse to update the Pre. 4G to me isn't completely needed. I'm still wanting to see battery performance on any 4G device. Also, will it suffer from the same type of battery hit when a 4G signal is NOT available (3g -> 1x battery hits).

I'm still not set on single task phones. After true multi-tasking, it would be difficult for me to go backwards.

Throw WebOS onto that type of EVO spec'd hw and I'm sold. Otherwise, I'll wait and see what Palm unveils later this yr.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    I am right there with you

Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post

I'm still not set on single task phones. After true multi-tasking, it would be difficult for me to go backwards.

Throw WebOS onto that type of EVO spec'd hw and I'm sold. Otherwise, I'll wait and see what Palm unveils later this yr.

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jovanny27 View Post
    no 4G Palm device, will you still consider it a competition? Any device with no 4G capability from now on is a complete fail. what ya think?
    It depends. How much does 4G cost me?

I recently downgraded my DSL plan and took a few HD Tiers out of my cable package. This saved me about $50/mo because I don't need all of that. The same would go with my cell service. My current plan, coverage and 3G speeds are fantastic so even if it costs me "only" $10/mo more then thats $240 over contract that is unnecessary.
    For my typical, current usage, 3G is fine. While I would like 4G in a hotspot device, I don't use one enough to justify the high price of the plan.

I really like webOS and would like to stick with it. Hopefully, more developers will step up and take a chance on the platform.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post

I recently downgraded my DSL plan and took a few HD Tiers out of my cable package. This saved me about $50/mo because I don't need all of that. The same would go with my cell service. My current plan, coverage and 3G speeds are fantastic so even if it costs me "only" $10/mo more then thats $240 over contract that is unnecessary.
    so, why u got a pre if a Razr was a better, cheaper device in terms of budget? just saying!.....
    yes...4g wont be coming to the UK for a good few years...heck our 3g coverage is still pretty slow and mediocre.
    Quote Originally Posted by freeridstylee View Post
    Front facing camera would be worthless without 4g.
    Don't know about that. I would be more likely to use it at home with wifi anyway.
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    There is no indication of 4G coming to my area on any network anytime soon. It's just a shiny gimmick to me until it actually gets a wide spread network. I'm looking forward to my next WebOS device, after handling my brother Android I can say I'll never be buying a phone with that junk installed no matter how nice the hardware may seem. Windows Mobile 7 may have a chance since it should work flawlessly with Windows 7 (should...)
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    That shiny gimmick is coming to LA. And I'm attracted to shiny gimmicks. Its like a win win!
    It wasn't me officer, I swear.
    When 3g came out on Sprint, there was no price increase.
    And if there is an $ increase for 4g,you could just keep using 3g and the Evo would still browse the internet much faster with more processor and ram.

Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post

15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by kkagawa View Post
    And if there is an $ increase for 4g,you could just keep using 3g and the Evo would still browse the internet much faster with more processor and ram.
    that's what im' saying. why these folks think there will be an increase in $$$ for 4G... 4G is the new technology now.. higher or cheaper don't matter.. overall, is a better, faster device!! just saying!! ...
    Quote Originally Posted by kkagawa View Post
    There wasn't an increase? Silly me. I seem to remember dumping a SERO plan for the Pre. Everything Data was an increase. That's from rev 0 to rev a

Even moving up to rev 0 required a Power Vision addon or whatever it was.
    I don't know.... cisco bailed on wimax for a reason
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    There wasn't an increase? Silly me. I seem to remember dumping a SERO plan for the Pre. Everything Data was an increase. That's from rev 0 to rev a

so you telling me u prefer the SERO plan instead of the Everything Date plan? that's silly!!
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post

I was afraid of something like this as well. everything data + 4G, who knows.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    that's what im' saying. why these folks think there will be an increase in $$$ for 4G... 4G is the new technology now.. higher or cheaper don't matter.. overall, is a better, faster device!! just saying!! ...
    I hope so, but there's no guarantee of that. Plus the EVO offers 8person tethering which makes it a built in MiFi. Whether or not Sprint gives that as a "freebie" is up in the air.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast