1.    #1  
    I did a search, but I thought I would start a new topic anyway. I have been having some problems with my Pre lately, and noticed some others with the same thing going on. I want to restore my Pre to factory conditions, and have a few questions before I go ahead and do the restore.

Basically, I'm going to back up everything that I can on my computer via the USB connection first. We all know that that does not back up everything though. Does anyone know the easiest way to get the rest of the backup going? Like Text messages, and memos (which I know i can email to myself. Do they get backed up on the profile btw?)

So, To doctor or to use the Pre's built Full Erase function, that is the question?
    Any help from you geniuses would be greatly appreciated as always.

Thanks.
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    Notes and memos are backed up to the palm profile.

The full erase does not erase as much as the Dr does. If you have system issues that could be related to patches and system file problems then I would go for the Dr. Full Erase is more for average users who sell their phone or otherwise want to start from scratch for other that technical problems.

Even the Dr. doesn't erase everything in the ROM. I have 4 page launcher even after a visit to the Dr.

If you wanna save your App data (like game saves) copy a folder on the USB drive that's hidden. It's called .palm or something.
    Here's some more details on what the Palm Profile does and doesn't backup --

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-s...ml#post2040520

Also... There's some more threads around here that talk about how simply turning backups OFF and then doing a Doctor is pretty much the only way to get a fresh Pre now. Doing so will obviously remove EVERYTHING but paid apps (not sure about free "official" apps from App Catalog, tho).
    Last edited by grndslm; 03/24/2010 at 12:42 PM. Reason: whoops... forgot link
    Hi voltageROCK,

depending on what You did with Your Phone use both!

The difference as far as I understand is the following:
    Data as Your setup and personal Data and programs are stored in a
    Place on Your Palm (Part of it in Your USB Partition, Part in a another Partition which is encrypted).
    Full Reset deletes this Data.
    When You absolutely did not use Homebrew apps or Patches then I think You are back to factory settings.

When You used Patches and Homebrew apps then potentially Files in the System Partition got altered and so WebOSDoctor is the programm to
    install a clean System from scratch.

That is the situation as I understand it and could confirm with two times doctoring and then login to an empty palm-profile (I keep two, one with my actual setup and one empty)

Regards Ralf
    Quote Originally Posted by Keimix View Post
    Full Reset deletes this Data.
    Almost, but not completely. Ironically, a Full Erase does not fully erase everything from the phone. It did with 1.2 Doctors and before... but 1.3 changed that.

Quote Originally Posted by Keimix View Post
    Partition got altered and so WebOSDoctor is the programm to
    install a clean System from scratch.
    Almost, but not completely.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    this is exactly why it is necessary to have 1.2 of the doctor which is impossible to find now.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpucci View Post
    this is exactly why it is necessary to have 1.2 of the doctor which is impossible to find now.
    You do know that you're posting in a thread that is almost 2months old that contains outdated information, correct?
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    You do know that you're posting in a thread that is almost 2months old that contains outdated information, correct?
    Why is the info outdated? 1.2 is sitll the only webos version to completely wipe your phone. Performing a FULL ERASE and then using WebosDoctor 1.4.x does not restore your phone to factory....this is noted many times in the forums.

With that said, if you are aware of more up to date info, please post it or link to it rather than responding with a useless reply.

Thanks.
  9.    #9  
    OK, I called Sprint today to ask them what the difference between the Dr. and a Full Reset is and they were telling me that the Full reset is best way to go, which I don't believe. I am going to Dr. and back up first via the Backup Utility App from Preware and the stock backup app that backs up to Palm's Server. Can someone please tell me what the best way to go is?

I am currently downloading Dr. 1.4.5 and not planning on doing the built in full reset. Also, can I log into my profile via WIFI? I don't have a strong consistent Sprint EV signal where I live, and have to drive to my girl's house to sign into my profile. I will be able to check this website though. Any help is always appreciated and thanked.

Soup
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.