Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I read so much about bugs, problems and poor design. I say don't blame the tool. WebOs is like a child, they don't just start walking the day they are born, it takes time and we all still fall on our faces periodically. How often do new pc os's get reworked. There are going to be good days and bad and as a good parent we have to stick with our new baby and offer our unconditional support. As for the poor build of the Pre. I signed a long term contract when I got my phone so I understand I have to take care of it to make it last. I handle it with care. I don't batter or beat it and I most certainly ensure I don't drop it. This is a computer that fits in your pocket, I certainly treat my desktop with care.
    agreed.
    I get longer battery life out of my pre plus than my laptop.
    So the point of the OP is that even if the problem IS with "the tool" we should support it unconditionally and stand by it? I'm sure everyone who's ever manufactured a product and sold it agrees.
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    I get longer battery life out of my pre plus than my laptop.
    Truths.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyor24 View Post
    I read so much about bugs, problems and poor design. I say don't blame the tool. WebOs is like a child, they don't just start walking the day they are born, it takes time and we all still fall on our faces periodically. How often do new pc os's get reworked. There are going to be good days and bad and as a good parent we have to stick with our new baby and offer our unconditional support.
    Sorry, but this comparison makes me want to vomit.

We aren't "parents" and WebOS isn't our "child". This is a product and we showed our support by giving them hard earned money and dedicating 12-24months of our lives to using it. Nobody deserves a free exit from our contract or a refund beyond 30 days, but IF it doesn't live up to our expectations then we would be idiots to say "I forgive you and we will suffer through this rough patch together".

I'm not saying people should abandon it. If it works for you then fine. But unconditional support and forgiveness are meant for people. Not products we invest money in.
    Last edited by Urkel; 03/24/2010 at 12:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Sorry, but this comparison makes me want to vomit.

We aren't "parents" and WebOS isn't our "child". This is a product and we showed our support by giving them hard earned money and dedicating 12-24months of our lives to supporting. IF it doesn't live up to our expectations then we would be idiots to say "I forgive you and we will suffer through this rough patch together".

I'm not saying people should abandon it. If it works for you then fine. But unconditional support and forgiveness are meant for people. Not products we invest money in.
    Agree 100%.
    Not only that, but what push would they have to improve things?
    Why would they even bother, if it's all unconditional and they know we'll stick with them?

Quote Originally Posted by etrade18 View Post
    DBD----You are a POS----The hardware is great!!!! Your opinion is f**king annoying...what do you do to your phone that you think its a piece of ****!!! Its people like you I cant stand!!
    Quote Originally Posted by etrade18
    DBD why dont you go get laid!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by etrade18
    Sorry DBD report me but at least I am positive and trying to help PALMS cause!!!!
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyor24 View Post
    I read so much about bugs, problems and poor design. I say don't blame the tool. WebOs is like a child, they don't just start walking the day they are born, it takes time and we all still fall on our faces periodically. How often do new pc os's get reworked. There are going to be good days and bad and as a good parent we have to stick with our new baby and offer our unconditional support. As for the poor build of the Pre. I signed a long term contract when I got my phone so I understand I have to take care of it to make it last. I handle it with care. I don't batter or beat it and I most certainly ensure I don't drop it. This is a computer that fits in your pocket, I certainly treat my desktop with care.

What?

What?

It's a phone.

Palm isn't a charity, it provides quality products or other people will (and do).
    No Palm is not a charity. However Google is. They hand out Android for free, which after using it, you'll find is about what its worth.
  10. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foosball View Post
    No Palm is not a charity. However Google is. They hand out Android for free, which after using it, you'll find is about what its worth.

Current stock prices:

Google: $557.80

Palm: $4.00

Yeah, google are clearly going in the wrong direction.
    Quote Originally Posted by foosball View Post

How many people dislike android though? Everyone close to me that uses it loves it.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Google: 557.80 on debit MasterCard
    Palm: 4.00 on debit MasterCard

Not riding the iPhone/Android wagon because all your friends proclaim its cellphone salvation ... Priceless

There are some things money can't by, for every one else, there's webOS
  13. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eternal85 View Post
    Google: 557.80 on debit MasterCard
    Palm: 4.00 on debit MasterCard

Not riding the iPhone/Android wagon because all your friends proclaim its cellphone salvation ... Priceless

There are some things money can't by, for every one else, there's webOS
    That doesn't even make any sense - do you want to think a bit more about your pithy comment and get back to us?
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Sure ... ::thinking, thinking, thinking::

Wow, I get it now... what was clearly meant as a stupid and most nonsensical comment has upset you
  15. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eternal85 View Post
    Sure ... ::thinking, thinking, thinking::

Wow, I get it now... what was clearly meant as a stupid and most nonsensical comment has upset you
    It was meant to be nonsensical? How strange. As for upsetting me, this is a internet talk-board, it's not real life, what's to get upset about? It would be a common and vulgar reaction not fit of an Englishman.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Current stock prices:

Google: $557.80

Palm: $4.00

Yeah, google are clearly going in the wrong direction.
    While I agree that this "unconditional" stuff is silly, I also disagree that Android is successful because it's such a great OS. Don't discount the fact that it's free. And, we shouldn't forget why Google produces Android and wants people using it, as well as the fact that Google's stock price is so high because of their search business, not because of Android.

Google's entire business model is around driving people to Google properties where they're served up Google ads. That's it. Everything Google does is to accomplish that objective. Now, I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but let's have no illusions that Google is out to build the best mobile platform possible for any reason other than driving people to Google properties.

A bit of the same goes for Apple, who is moving more and more toward being a consumer products company. Again, that's fine for Apple, but if I were a Mac fan I'd start wondering if Apple really cares about furthering the Mac platform. Apple has discovered that by tying their media consumption devices (iPod, iPhone, now iPad) to a publishing ecosystem they can effectively lock people into their hardware. That's why Apple's products are getting dumber and dumber--Apple wants to appeal to as wide a set of consumers as possible. Again, nothing wrong with it, but personally I want my technology to continue to do new and innovative things, not just put a pretty skin on the same old functionality.

And that's why I support Palm. Palm is trying to make a smartphone OS and smartphone hardware that are the best at what smartphone users need. webOS is definitely a 1.4 version, but I think lots of people recognize the new trail that Palm is trying to blaze here. I'm sticking with them because what I really want is a company that's in the smartphone business because they want to make and sell the best smartphones--not drive people to ads or sell consumer-oriented media consumption devices.

If Palm fails, then I guess it leaves only Microsoft and RIM (in the US) who give a whit about the smartphone itself. And I don't particularly like either of those platforms at this point.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    People seem to love it? Maybe but they likely haven't used webOS. Its not like they've done a comparison. Whatver got pushed on them at the store is what they've come to love. And what they really love is the hardware which is why Palm needs a new device.

Google Android is an unintuitive, user-unfriendly UI.The stock price and the Android UI is hardly a cause & effect relationship as was implied. If it was Google would be selling it's stock at the same price as Android.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    While I agree that this "unconditional" stuff is silly, I also disagree that Android is successful because it's such a great OS.
    I agree with that completely. BUT, I also feel that both on desktop or mobile devices then far too much value is placed on the "OS" because in the end it's all about the apps.

Think about it. Do all the swooshy icons of OS X or the more aesthetically pleasing Win7 really make Firefox or Word run any better? We spend over 90% of our time within individual apps so all this talk about which OS is better is a waste of time.

Same goes for Mobile. Since you'll be spending over 90% of your time within apps then the best device for you isn't based on the OS, it's based on the apps available. And even though WebOS has legitimate bragging rights to a superior multitasking, what good is multitasking when the apps you need aren't available?

So back to the point, Android isn't successful because it's this amazing OS. They're successful because they're available on all carriers and their app catalog is the closest competitor to the iPhone. If iPhone 4G appears on all carriers then a lot of people will reconsider their love of the EVO. But if WebOS 4G appears on all 4 then nobody will care because without apps you aren't that exciting.
    just like parents, their has to be tough love.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Think about it. Do all the swooshy icons of OS X or the more aesthetically pleasing Win7 really make Firefox or Word run any better? We spend over 90% of our time within individual apps so all this talk about which OS is better is a waste of time.

Same goes for Mobile. Since you'll be spending over 90% of your time within apps then the best device for you isn't based on the OS, it's based on the apps available. And even though WebOS has legitimate bragging rights to a superior multitasking, what good is multitasking when the apps you need aren't available?
    Don't agree with this at all. I simply do not only "run apps" on either my PCs or my Pre. I'm constantly switching from one app to another, exchanging information between apps, and performing a variety of other functions that aren't app-specific.

Having extensively used OS X and Windows 7 side-by-side, extensively, for example, I can say that I much prefer how Windows 7 manages windows and files. I can't stand the OS X paradigm for app windows, and the Finder makes me less productive. And, you'd probably easily find people who think the precise opposite, and they probably have their good reasons.

I feel much the same way about webOS. It makes using multiple applications practical on a mobile platform, not just "better." And the notifications system and Synergy make using the device actually better, regardless of the apps that it can run.

It's not at all simply that one app is as good on one OS as another, and that extends to the applications themselves. webOS also offers capabilities that other OS's don't, such as the Synergy hooks, ability to share data (that the iPhone OS lacks, not sure about Android), and what it means that apps can run in the background as they can.

There aren't that many examples of apps that take advantage of these capabilities, but my point is that if webOS survives, we'll be seeing some pretty incredible things.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast