1.    #1  
    Once the excitement/fear/doubts of the news over the last week or so dies down, we are probably going to view things a bit differently than we do now.

As far as we know, from public information (and not rumors), the bad news is:
    1. Palm's stock price and sales are suffering.
    2. Competing phones will arrive. Sprint will have a great new phone, about the time many Pre users can renew (at least the Sprint Premier Customers). Apple will probably announce a new phone.
    3. Palm has a stock pile of phones they want to sell.

The good news:
    1. Palm has been coming out with frequent updates (almost monthly), turning on new features or fixing bugs from previous releases. The hardware and software are really works in progress, as we all know, and they are getting better.
    2. The app catalog is still growing (what is the curve?).
    3. The new API's allowing low-level access are out, and more apps, especially games, will be ported over from the Apple catalog.
    4. The international app catalogs will launch.
    5. More carriers will be selling the phone.
    6. Apple's patent war against the Android phones is on (though I doubt this will really slow them down...).

And what we can guess:
    1. Palm hasn't announced new hardware in a while. They probably won't announce new hardware until they either sell more of the stockpile of phones, or give up selling them. If their sales tank, then they have little disincentive to avoid any announcements. So in the days/weeks before the EVO launch, and only at that point, will they have a reason to make their announcements (if they have hardware).
    2. Maybe some of the hoped for missing products/features (Flash, Shazam, Docs to Go, etc.) will arrive?
    3. As the Apple catalog gets more crowded, some/a few/lots of developers will look for other opportunities, and see an open, easy market with the WebOS universe.
    4. The App Catalogs for each phone will eventually have 90% of the "core" programs, becoming more commodity-like.
    5. Palm may eventually get its message out, and people will learn solutions to their problems already exist (homebrew, Classic, Doubletwist, MediaMonkey).

Did I miss anything?
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    The reality of Palm, for me, is that webOS is playing too much catch up. I've loved this company (and it's products) for the past 10 years because they would always be ahead the curve. A new palm model used to come out that was always better than the previous model - Other companies copied the original Palm. Now it seems to be in the reverse except for the OS component. But that's not enough nowadays. Unfortunately, I think the perception out there has become Palm's reality. Most can't see the great OS through the other issues this device has had. Once they can get back to: releasing a device when the software is really ready, keep the hardware as robust as possible and keep innovating then people will believe again. Again, I think the only part of that they are still doing in the innovation piece but apparently that's just not enough. My family all own webOS btw.

Tom
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    I agree with Tom. =o
  4.    #4  
    I feel your pain.

But Palm isn't playing catch up, at least, not for the unreleased phones... And this thread isn't about perceptions (though obviously those have a real impact).

If you have been with Palm the last 10 years, you have seen them lose their innovators to Handspring, who then abandonned their springboard hardware when they realized what matters was only the phone and carrier agreements, then saw buy them back and barely do anything with the Treo. After a year or so, they created one with a higher resolution screen, but didn't release patches for a year, and never got bluetooth working quite correctly. Then we saw them sell their OS, support windows, then try to rewrite their OS, twice.

That was all BEFORE WebOs and the Pre.

So while they have made mistakes with the Pre, they have lurched around before. The question now is if it is one too many, too late.

I think many here are reacting emotionally, all doom and gloom, and it is becoming a self-fulfilling prophesy.

The fact is that NO ONE is expecting them to die in the next few weeks/months. So what happens during that time? Up to the release of the 4G Evo?
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    I don't know how Palm is gonna compete in the current smartphone market. Then the HTC EVO come at about the same time many Pre users are due for an upgrade. And it happens to be exclusive to Sprint, which is where it seems the overwellming majority of Pre owners are. (Has anyone ever seen a VZ pre in the wild?)
    Palm has the worst luck sometimes.
    well i really hope Palm comes out with a 4g...im getting the evo but i really feel like im betraying palm by doing that so im gonna keep palm n that line open wth the hope i guess that they will come out with a solid device which they should have learn fr their mistakes, cause no matter what device comes out for sprint i still think WEBOS is the s h i t
    i also feel palm has a lot of bad luck n a lot of this press hates palm it just feels like palm does it alone like they never give'em credit....they always talk about the bad never all the good
    I think the OP pretty much covers things. I'm sticking with Palm because (to paraphrase from another thread) I want a company that's in the smartphone business because they want to make the best smartphones--not because they want to drive people to Google ads or because they want to make mass-market consumer devices for media consumption.

I know, I know--the PIMs aren't as strong as they used to be, and so Palm's left behind some of what made the PalmOS devices such good productivity tools. And, that's definitely in my definition of a smartphone. But, webOS is only version 1.4, and for me it gets far more right than wrong. My point is that Palm is committed to making the best smartphone because that's their core business. If they fail, then it leaves Microsoft (for whom mobile is important, but not their core) and RIM (whose products are solid but boring) to carry on the smartphone torch in the US.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by ka1 View Post
    I feel your pain.

But Palm isn't playing catch up, at least, not for the unreleased phones... And this thread isn't about perceptions (though obviously those have a real impact).

If you have been with Palm the last 10 years, you have seen them lose their innovators to Handspring, who then abandonned their springboard hardware when they realized what matters was only the phone and carrier agreements, then saw buy them back and barely do anything with the Treo. After a year or so, they created one with a higher resolution screen, but didn't release patches for a year, and never got bluetooth working quite correctly. Then we saw them sell their OS, support windows, then try to rewrite their OS, twice.

That was all BEFORE WebOs and the Pre.

So while they have made mistakes with the Pre, they have lurched around before. The question now is if it is one too many, too late.

I think many here are reacting emotionally, all doom and gloom, and it is becoming a self-fulfilling prophesy.

The fact is that NO ONE is expecting them to die in the next few weeks/months. So what happens during that time? Up to the release of the 4G Evo?
    Hey Ka!

Here's the point man, and I understand your point of view about the future. But my point about the reality of Palm is not speculation about anything, although we can certainly do all of that. But Handspring did one thing right; they under cut the pricing of Palm (if I remember correctly it was the founder of Palm that left and started the Handspring company). I'm talking about the years from inception to just before Treo got in a slump. If Palm would just do what they did in that time period, great products one after another, with no we'll fix this in this update stuff, and robust hardware which was for the most part pretty damn good in most of those units (my last TX was awesome) - Just put 'completed software', with nice strong hardware, along with the brilliance of webOS and their reality will be success in the market place. People would just freak out in 2010 like they did in 1999-2004.

I do understand where you're coming from.