Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1.    #1  
    I have been reading these forums since the summer and have seen tons of stories of stores discouraging people from buying the Pre. I went into a Shack to get some pricing info as I will not be getting my Pre until August 7th when my Verizon contract is up (will that date EVER get here?!) I was asking about the Pre and the Pixi for my wife. They instantly starting downgrading the Pre, saying it isn't really a smartphone, it is slow, pushing the Droid...all the typical stuff. Since I dont actually own the Pre, I was a bit blindsided so my defense was weak at best. The Shack idiots knew nothing about homebrew, the oreo affect, so on and so forth. I was livid and will not buy my phones from that Shack. Thanks once again for providing a great community!!! Get here august 7th!!!!!
  2. #2  
    Yeah I read all of these horror stories, but I had a positive experience.
    Back when I bought my Pre and Pixi for the wife, I went into the shack and asked about them, and the sales guy said to me that he had heard good things about them but didn't have first hand experience and suggested that I come in the next day and ask for sales guy X who was the pre guru, I did just that and that 2nd guy really knew all about the pre and was very positive on it, maybe I just got lucky, or maybe the Shack wasn't carrying the droid back in November.
  3. #3  
    same would prob go for best buy, and the shack doesnt carry the droid.
  4. #4  
    Honestly, I'm surprised that your surprised. Reps that sell cell phones are no different than people that sell cars or something else. Walk on to a car lot, talk to 5 sales people and you might get 5 different opinions on what to buy. Some guys are Ford guys, some are Chevy guys and so on. Its the same in the cell phone world. Some will push BB and others will push the Driod and so on.

    As far as homebrew goes, i'm not surprised at all that they didn't know anything about it. Walk into a corporate Verizon store and they won't know much if anything about it either.

    I previously sold cell phones, I can say without a doubt a large % of reps try to sell what they "perceive" to have the least chance of being returned. Not saying its right or wrong but that is how a lot of reps think. Even more so now with reps getting penalized for returns. Palm has been severely hurt by the build quality issues.




    Quote Originally Posted by teach1love View Post
    I have been reading these forums since the summer and have seen tons of stories of stores discouraging people from buying the Pre. I went into a Shack to get some pricing info as I will not be getting my Pre until August 7th when my Verizon contract is up (will that date EVER get here?!) I was asking about the Pre and the Pixi for my wife. They instantly starting downgrading the Pre, saying it isn't really a smartphone, it is slow, pushing the Droid...all the typical stuff. Since I dont actually own the Pre, I was a bit blindsided so my defense was weak at best. The Shack idiots knew nothing about homebrew, the oreo affect, so on and so forth. I was livid and will not buy my phones from that Shack. Thanks once again for providing a great community!!! Get here august 7th!!!!!
  5. #5  
    I went to The Source (They bought Radio Shack in Canada I believe) and I had an excellent experience vs Bell World. Bell World trashed the Pre and lied about it having crappy WiFi. The Source treated me well.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by teach1love View Post
    I have been reading these forums since the summer and have seen tons of stories of stores discouraging people from buying the Pre. I went into a Shack to get some pricing info as I will not be getting my Pre until August 7th when my Verizon contract is up (will that date EVER get here?!) I was asking about the Pre and the Pixi for my wife. They instantly starting downgrading the Pre, saying it isn't really a smartphone, it is slow, pushing the Droid...all the typical stuff. Since I dont actually own the Pre, I was a bit blindsided so my defense was weak at best. The Shack idiots knew nothing about homebrew, the oreo affect, so on and so forth. I was livid and will not buy my phones from that Shack. Thanks once again for providing a great community!!! Get here august 7th!!!!!
    - Not defending RadioShack or anything, but they don't sell Verizon, and thus do not sell the Droid. So if they are pushing the Droid, they have more problems than just not knowing about Homebrew.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
  7.    #7  
    I wasn't as surprised as I was ****ed off. Not once did I ask their opinion, I obviously knew what I wanted and was only asking for pricing. Seems to disregard the #1 rule of sales- give the people what they want!!
  8. #8  
    Just order the phone online, you will have no issues.
  9. #9  
    youre that confident that youll still want one of these 5 months from now?
  10. #10  
    They can't even TELL you the pricing of a phone five months from now. That's just silly. The only thing they could tell you was what the plan may cost, and even then, THAT could change.

    And yes, Radio Shack no longer sells verizon. Haven't for four years, about. They DO sell the iPhone, just not the droid. So if they were selling the droid, well, that would be bad.

    The Shack idiots knew nothing about homebrew
    Why would someone that doesn't have the phone know about HACKING it, something a bit tricky and that the majority of Pre owners doesn't do?
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    - Not defending RadioShack or anything, but they don't sell Verizon, and thus do not sell the Droid. So if they are pushing the Droid, they have more problems than just not knowing about Homebrew.
    You do know Verizon isn't the only carrier to have a phone with Android OS on it right?

    The problem seems to be with people reffering to droid as the OS, whille others refer to the motorola droid
    Last edited by mrgrim800; 03/24/2010 at 02:48 PM.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgrim800 View Post
    You do know Verizon isn't the only carrier to have a phone with Android OS on it right?
    "the Droid" is not Android.
  13. #13  
    I know, but the OP diddnt and yall didn't recognize that and start talking about verizon.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgrim800 View Post
    I know, but the OP diddnt and yall didn't recognize that and start talking about verizon.

    How do you know what the OP meant?
  15. #15  
    What happened to the free Sprint Pre? I called the Shack and they didn't know about it. I asked if it was only last week and they STILL didn't know anything about it.

    Also, the Palm Pre is not on radioshack.com for Sprint anymore, either.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgrim800 View Post
    I know, but the OP diddnt and yall didn't recognize that and start talking about verizon.
    oh how i love the general public (not you.)
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by makitaki View Post

    Also, the Palm Pre is not on radioshack.com for Sprint anymore, either.
    haha yeah whats up with that?

    they have a picture of it on one of the first banner pages though.
  18. #18  
    Ditto on the not sellling Verizon a Radioshack. Also, no one person who sells phones can guarantee the price of any smartphone in August. The market won't let you.

    As far as homebrew goes, it not really a retail salesperson job to tell you how to patch a phone. Most people are not even sure that the possibility exists. But they can refer you to websites to learn more about the product you purchased.
  19. pieler8's Avatar
    Posts
    80 Posts
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    haha yeah whats up with that?

    they have a picture of it on one of the first banner pages though.
    The shacks around here sold out with the promotion they ran the last 2 weeks. Free Pre with new contract/$79 upgrades.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgrim800 View Post
    You do know Verizon isn't the only carrier to have a phone with Android OS on it right?

    The problem seems to be with people reffering to droid as the OS, whille others refer to the motorola droid
    I've long thought that that was Verizon's goal, and it seems to be working.... People who don't really keep up with this stuff will hear about Android and assume that the Droid on Verizon is what people are talking about. For example, a few months ago I mentioned to a co-worker that I thought my next phone would be an Android phone. "Oh yeah, that looks like a cool phone!" was the response. She thought I was talking specifically of the Droid; she had no real concept of what Android was, or that there were several android-flavored handsets across multiple carriers.

    Verizon was smart in muddying the waters by naming their flagship Android phone so close to the actual word "android." If anybody talks about Android, there's a good chance the uneducated will think automatically of "DRRROOOOIIIIIID."
    THIS IS HOW WE HANDLE BUSINESS

Posting Permissions