1.    #1  
    I am a VZW rep and am more in love with my Pre Plus than you can imagine. Unfortunatley I have been having an issue with the phone shutting off when I slide the keyboard up (not every time, but on occasion). One of the techs at my store suggested I replace the battery, and that seemed to work for a while, but it started it again. I also went to wake the phone up from sitting idle yesterday and had to completely turn it back on. So I've got a brand new one on the way. The employee customer service rep was happy to hear I still wanted the same phone, and I told her how much I loved mine and how long I had been following it's development. Hopefully the brand new one will be fine.
    First of all good for you.

Next and although this might be simple. make sure that the battery is not loose in the phone.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post
    First of all good for you.

Next and although this might be simple. make sure that the battery is not loose in the phone.
    As I said, that it what one of the techs in my store mentioned the first time. We tried a whole new battery and it doesn't happen as much but it has happened again. Are there any do it yourself fixes for a battery issue like that?
    Happened to my daughter's pre and I stuck a little bit of folded paper in-between the top of the battery and the battery slot. Basically, the paper pushed the battery closer to the contacts. No problems since.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    Happened to my daughter's pre and I stuck a little bit of folded paper in-between the top of the battery and the battery slot. Basically, the paper pushed the battery closer to the contacts. No problems since.
    I figured something like that would work. It will be upsetting if that's all it ends up, but just covering all of my bases.
    Glad to hear some Verizon people are on board with the Pre....

NOW...just get some of your counterparts to start pushing this phone also and all is well. Seriously...I have played with a DROID and can't see why people like that phone...its slider is weak, the hardware is flimsy and more cheap feeling then even the Pre and its so big and square...UGH.

Anyways thats my soapbox, glad to hear you like the Pre better.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by DJeremyC View Post
    Glad to hear some Verizon people are on board with the Pre....

NOW...just get some of your counterparts to start pushing this phone also and all is well. Seriously...I have played with a DROID and can't see why people like that phone...its slider is weak, the hardware is flimsy and more cheap feeling then even the Pre and its so big and square...UGH.

Anyways thats my soapbox, glad to hear you like the Pre better.
    Trying my best to get my counter parts in to it. I love the look on my customers faces when, after showing them all of the other choices for smartphones, I mention, "have you looked at the Palm Pre?". I've sold many that way after demonstrating on mine or the store demo.

I have no use for the Droid either.
    Are you not seeing any double key entries from the keyboard? That is the bug keeping me on the Verizon side lines for now.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    My first Pre had this issue as well (turning off when you open/close the slider).

You can try a restart of the phone. Push and hold the power down and rock the mute toggle next to the power button 3 times. The phone will restart a few seconds afterwords.

For me that did the trick. After I did that it never turned off in its own.

Also I know some people say use paper to wedge the battery in... what you can also try is folding the little plastic strip a bit and using that as a wedge to secure the battery in place.

(and for the record my first Pre wasn't replaced due to that issue, it cracked at the USB door and the split moved to the screen)
    Glad to hear a verizon rep has a pre instead of the droid
    The slider mechanism is definitely the cause of some problems. I'm getting close to taking my pre back, the slider and oreo effect is affecting my headphone jack. Every so often when it oreo's, or I close or open the slider, my audio will go stupid, either the left ear will cut out, or sometimes the audio goes altogether. usually just wiggling the headphones in the jack will get the audio back. I also have a couple of cracks on my screen that have developed after putting a screen protector on. I'm waiting for it to get just a little worse before i take it in to Bell.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    Are you not seeing any double key entries from the keyboard? That is the bug keeping me on the Verizon side lines for now.
    I am, although the kepad o my Treo 700W was glitchy too, so I haven't worried to much abut it.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    I think that happened with a batch of Sprint Pre's.
    The paper thing in the back works.
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    I had had my Pre since launch day and I can say that this has never been an issue for me. I for the most part think that a lot of the double type issue is human error in that they try to type really really fast and end up hitting the key too hard or to light and hit again etc. I can say...knock on wood...that my Pre has NEVER double typed a letter on its own. So don't let this be the thing that is holding you back from getting this awesome smartphone.
    I am almost on a first name basis with my local Sprint store reps. I am waiting for the call to exchange my #5 Pre with #6. Loose slider, overheated while charging then died, one crashed while I was traveling w/o a laptop and they wouldn't doctor it, so they ordered a replacement, this last one is due to crack on corner above volume control. The top slider caught on the bottom and snapped a small section off, which was possible due to wobble in slider. I've only had this phone for a week when I noticed the break, which would eventually creep up to the screen.

Thankfully all have been covered and no out of pocket yet. I love the phone but it is a pain to be w/o as it is my primary business phone. The times I've had to revert back to using my Treo 755p have felt like moving back to a word processor. Functional, but ugh. Getting back on the Pre is like getting a big bowl of ice cream. Yays!

I don't say it enough - thanks to all here who do so much to make this phone better. You deserve a lot of credit for keeping me loyal to Palm.
    My frustration w/HP best characterized by Col George Taylor.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Menace187 View Post
    Glad to hear a verizon rep has a pre instead of the droid

I sold more Blackberry's than Droid's on November 16th, which is the day the Droid was launched.

As a 39 year old professional male, I am not going to carry a phone around that says "Drrrrrrrrrrrrrrooid". I'm also not going to carry a phone with an oblong shape like the Droid. I've been following the development and release of the Pre long before it even hit Sprint and couldn't wait until Verizon got it.
  17.    #17  
    Got my new phone yesterday. Keypad seems much better, phone as a whole feels more solid. I was totally blown away at how all the apps I downloaded were saved and all my web history captured.