Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    "Palm sales are boosting"

Palm's Sales Numbers Are Boosting

Great article that takes a objective yet positive outlook for Palm; and they think that one Pre/Pixi sold for every 4th Android phone is a good thing still, what say you guys?
    It's fine to be positive, but I don't understand how one can claim "Palm's sales are boosting" when every quarter they sell less WebOS devices, despite launching on more carriers and adding more models.

That's not a "boosting" trajectory by any stretch of the imagination. It's the opposite.
  3. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    It's fine to be positive, but I don't understand how one can claim "Palm's sales are boosting" when every quarter they sell less WebOS devices, despite launching on more carriers and adding more models.

That's not a "boosting" trajectory by any stretch of the imagination. It's the opposite.
    Indeed, the article seems to fly in the face of reality and sees sales of WebOS devices as being static at a relatively high number - the numbers were down on last quarter and are likely to be down in the next unless something amazing happens.

The article is based on... well nothing.
    well they are still making phones so something is still going on .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    ARTICLE SUMMARY: Palm estimated 10 million WebOS phones would be sold in 2010. The article's author has to invent some pretty amazing statistics just to get up to 5 million units sold in 2010.

How is this article optimistic?
    Quote Originally Posted by christcentric View Post
    "Palm sales are boosting"

Palm's Sales Numbers Are Boosting

Great article that takes a objective yet positive outlook for Palm; and they think that one Pre/Pixi sold for every 4th Android phone is a good thing still, what say you guys?

I'm writing them off. I've been an off and on Palm user for the past 10+ years and now with them failing, a few years ago, to stay ahead of the curve and produce a product people might want plus being simply too small to compete I have to say thats it for them. I do hope I am wrong though.

I'm going to be researching the Evo and if the initial reviews, near or just after launch time, are favorable I will be jumping ship. I hold no loyalty to Palm right now other than the fact I don't want to switch phones until something better comes along. Preliminary reports say that something better has come along. I'll definitely spring for 4G too. I don't care what it costs.

I can't deal with the shoddy hardware, buggy code (when you want the core functions to work, they many times don't) when I need this phone to work.
    well, phonenews.com have got a +tive article about the pre...infact they name it phone of the year!!!!

http://www.phonenews.com/calling-the...re-plus-10589/
    Palm is not going away as much as the shorts want it to...i have more friends interested in the phone and we all are very tech oriented. They are unsatisfied with android. After I used it I couldnt wait to put the phone down (droid). The only OS's that are worth a _ _ _ _ are the apple OS and webOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by abbodabbodo View Post
    Palm is not going away as much as the shorts want it to...i have more friends interested in the phone and we all are very tech oriented. They are unsatisfied with android. After I used it I couldnt wait to put the phone down (droid). The only OS's that are worth a _ _ _ _ are the apple OS and webOS.
    really, iphoneOS? i'm not convinced...my flatmate has an iphone 3g, and i honestly want to throw it out the window everytime i have to use it...to prescriptive and closed for my liking....and SSSOOOOOO slow
    Quote Originally Posted by abbodabbodo View Post
    Well, thats great you have a few friends that like the phone and the OS itself but if you think a few friends can keep Palm float you're mistaken.

I also think the WebOS has the most potential of any of the mobile OS's. However, that alone won't be enough to keep Palm in business.

It's not the "shorts" that want Palm to go away. Palm is doing this to themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Odd-Ball View Post
    Well, thats great you have a few friends that like the phone and the OS itself but if you think a few friends can keep Palm float you're mistaken.

I also think the WebOS has the most potential of any of the mobile OS's. However, that alone won't be enough to keep Palm in business.

It's not the "shorts" that want Palm to go away. Palm is doing this to themselves.
    I think opposed to being bought out, palm has one more device to release..if that desnt sell...bye bye palm, however...they need to put everything into it!I cant tell from over here in the UK, but their efforts on this side of the atlantic half arsed at best!!And I do think that they could do alot better here i the UK, if they put the effort in...we are seriously void of a good smartphone, and the original pre is still good hardware for us...

Anyway, i didnt want this to be doom and gloom post so i shall shut up now!lol

Palm has run a costly ad campaign. Ads so bad they devalued the brand and had people running the other way. Yep, Palm did it to themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Palm has run a costly ad campaign. Ads so bad they devalued the brand and had people running the other way. Yep, Palm did it to themselves.
    I think Palm did more than that but when they needed to hit one out of the park they chose instead to walk the batter. Yes, it advanced the runner but didn't score.

So...baseball analogies aside...I knew what I was getting into when I purchased the Pre. The screen size and the ad campaign were killers for most. It doesn't matter if the screen is that much clearer than the iphone. Its real estate, its effectively advertising it. They chose to go with some creepy new age pasty white woman who looked like a modern day zombie when they should have done a much more upbeat ad.

It is bad decisions like that which can cost a company its market share. I don't want to see Palm go the way of the dodo because competition breeds innovation but I think it will happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by phil.hsr View Post
    I think opposed to being bought out, palm has one more device to release..if that desnt sell...bye bye palm, however...they need to put everything into it!I cant tell from over here in the UK, but their efforts on this side of the atlantic half arsed at best!!And I do think that they could do alot better here i the UK, if they put the effort in...we are seriously void of a good smartphone, and the original pre is still good hardware for us...

Anyway, i didnt want this to be doom and gloom post so i shall shut up now!lol
    I wonder what the next offering from Palm will be?
    I think their lack of size limits their ability to capitalize on new markets. In this case a behemoth could actually support it.

Its a common problem but they're not at a point where they can just command higher value from the mobile providers.

No doom and gloom, we're debating the merits of it
    I think Palm did more than that but when they needed to hit one out of the park they chose instead to walk the batter. Yes, it advanced the runner but didn't score.

So...baseball analogies aside...I knew what I was getting into when I purchased the Pre. The screen size and the ad campaign were killers for most. It doesn't matter if the screen is that much clearer than the iphone. Its real estate, its effectively advertising it. They chose to go with some creepy new age pasty white woman who looked like a modern day zombie when they should have done a much more upbeat ad.

It is bad decisions like that which can cost a company its market share. I don't want to see Palm go the way of the dodo because competition breeds innovation but I think it will happen.
    Just a thought about your comment on real estate...and where real estate really matters is web browsing, to which the pre, OWNS the iphone, as you have to have so much of the page taken up with top and bottom bar on safari, and when the v/keyboard is active, you can see about 5mil of the screen....
    Quote Originally Posted by phil.hsr View Post
    Just a thought about your comment on real estate...and where real estate really matters is web browsing, to which the pre, OWNS the iphone, as you have to have so much of the page taken up with top and bottom bar on safari, and when the v/keyboard is active, you can see about 5mil of the screen....
    Right...not debating that fact one bit but again, you're telling someone who is familiar with resolutions, scaling and the like and to a lay person it seems they don't see it that way. They want a big screen.

Its sad because the Pre does have the best resolution but not the largest screen size.
    I wonder what the next offering from Palm will be?
    I think their lack of size limits their ability to capitalize on new markets. In this case a behemoth could actually support it.

Its a common problem but they're not at a point where they can just command higher value from the mobile providers.

No doom and gloom, we're debating the merits of it
    the point is, if they implement good supply chain tactics, they actually need very little money (relatively) to introduce a new device...however, it is if they can make a design that people like, something to compete with the current HTC and iphone form factor...that i think is the real challange

in my humble opinion!lol
    Right...not debating that fact one bit but again, you're telling someone who is familiar with resolutions, scaling and the like and to a lay person it seems they don't see it that way. They want a big screen.

Its sad because the Pre does have the best resolution but not the largest screen size.
    very good point...i wish the sales staff would have better knowledge of the handsets their selling!!!
    Edit: I'm in a really bad mood this morning.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    I'm writing them off. I've been an off and on Palm user for the past 10+ years and now with them failing, a few years ago, to stay ahead of the curve and produce a product people might want plus being simply too small to compete I have to say thats it for them. I do hope I am wrong though.

I'm going to be researching the Evo and if the initial reviews, near or just after launch time, are favorable I will be jumping ship. I hold no loyalty to Palm right now other than the fact I don't want to switch phones until something better comes along. Preliminary reports say that something better has come along. I'll definitely spring for 4G too. I don't care what it costs.

I can't deal with the shoddy hardware, buggy code (when you want the core functions to work, they many times don't) when I need this phone to work.
    It's funny, as I sat here reading that, I thought "There's a pretty well-reasoned comment on "why I'm changing". But then I got to the last part. Resolve for us, if you don't mind, the following two statements:

I don't want to switch phones until something better comes along.
    and
    shoddy hardware, buggy code (when you want the core functions to work, they many times don't) when I need this phone to work

How in the world could it be difficult to find "something better" coming along if the phone you're replacing has "shoddy hardware, buggy code" and "core functions" that don't work?

Sorry folks, I think too many of you that are changing phones are treating them like some folks treat lovers in their lives. Fantastic wonderful folks, until someone prettier comes along, then the B was a *****.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast