Whats the deal, yo?
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    They don't control Opera, yo.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    listen, bro

listen
    if I could get opera mini and kinoma I would be set. Need that scroll bar in opera and the speed dial.
    I'm sayin' though..
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    This operamini is the shizznity for any OS, I wish it would just magically appear in the app catalog..... I'd freakin pay!!!
    They don't need it, what we have now is great. It would be nice to have it as it brings different options to the table, I'm sure they want to develop it for WebOS but they probably think its not worth their time at this day and age. I hope I'm wrong.
    I used it on my Instinct. It didn't work perfectly but it was often better than the stock browser.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Josephc1991 View Post
    They don't need it, what we have now is great. It would be nice to have it as it brings different options to the table, I'm sure they want to develop it for WebOS but they probably think its not worth their time at this day and age. I hope I'm wrong.
    I hope your wrong as well and for just shear web browsing speed all OS's need it,(not only webOS)but webOS would run it oh so nice.

Another thought as well, if opera made one for the iphone, then maybe it will be an easy port to the pre down the road....hmmm? If it fails iphone app approval it may be here sooner than later. One can hope right?
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    If it failed the apple approval process and got ported over to WebOS it would be a great windfall for Palm and might even serve to spark larger support as far as iphone transplants to WebOS

but yall don't hear me tho
    Why Opera? What they have now works great. Don't need Opera at all.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    I've had Opera on previous phones and never really liked it. I prefer stock on the Pre.
    What would Opera bring to the table that the stock browser doesn't? I used Opera on my old Treo 755p, but that was to replace Blazer. I kinda like the webOS browser.
    I'd rather have Opera Mobile than Opera Mini... Mini has a lot of downfalls that I think make it bad for the advanced smartphones that have come out recently (like the Pre). It has very poor JavaScript support, which really means that touchscreen-optimized websites are useless, and it also takes away much of the styling components of a web page (there is only one font, for instance, and only the size can be modified). Opera Mobile, however, runs pretty much like the desktop Opera but on a smartphone instead.

It would also be nice to have Firefox Mobile (Fennec) but so-far it's really only been developed for Maemo. Hopefully one day we'll have a choice of web browsers, but I guess the default browser is still a damn good option.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    It would tell developers who want to build apps that are competitive to default apps that it's encouraged on WebOS, unlike Apple's walled garden of an OS.

It would be a signal that a major name is interested in the OS and Palm, which would be great for passive advertising. Demos of Opera running on WebOS and reviews of such become reviews for the OS itself.

Really, anything that lets Palm look toward Apple and aver "We can do that too, but better" is huge. Especially once the PDK is unfurreled, and we see the Pre and Pixi awash a (theoretical) glut of once iPhone-only games.
    I detest the stock browser - laggy, auto-refreshing (even after the patch that supposed to stop this), pinch-zooming always clicks random links. Can't ever open more than one browser without the whole phone becoming unresponsive. Maybe all this crap won't happen anymore with the 720/800 MHz patches. Hmmm
    August 2009 - January 2011. Thank god I'm no longer a Pre user!

I think the PRE browser CRUSHED opera! I am a long time opera user and still have it on my other phone....its pure garbage compared to the PRE browser. Sorry thems the facts guys!
    Yes, the stock browser is better but I think Opera Mini would be faster. It would just be nice to have optional browsers.
    Of course Opera Mini would be faster, because you're not actually downloading full webpages but compressed versions of them.

At the same time, however, as download speeds get faster and so do CPU speeds, the benefits of Opera Mini become less and less pronounced.

On old Treos, for example, Opera Mini was 3-5 times faster than Blazer.

However, on a Pre, connected by Wifi, running at 500mHz, I can't imagine the speed difference would be more than a few seconds.
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Of course Opera Mini would be faster, because you're not actually downloading full webpages but compressed versions of them.

At the same time, however, as download speeds get faster and so do CPU speeds, the benefits of Opera Mini become less and less pronounced.

On old Treos, for example, Opera Mini was 3-5 times faster than Blazer.

However, on a Pre, connected by Wifi, running at 500mHz, I can't imagine the speed difference would be more than a few seconds.
    Not to mention Opera Mini compresses images as well which can lead to some terrible looking pictures.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast